Don't really understand what an ML mount is/was used for?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Have some lens which i believe are "ML" mounts. Are these currently compatible with any current mount in the Sony range?

Likely it's actually Contax/Yashica [C/Y] mount. ML was Yashica's designation for "Multi-Layer" lens coatings.

If so, it's not directly compatible with the Sony/Minolta mount and, I believe, just too close in register distance to use a simple adapter without an optical element. However, it's possible to get a mount conversion

http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Sony-cameras.html

Probably only worth it if the C/Y lens is of higher quality - i.e. a Contax MM rather than a Yashica ML.

Last edited:
Hi,

ML lenses were a series of high end lenses made by Yashica in C/Y mount for Contax and Yashica cameras from 1975 onward. They won't directly mount on the Minolta/Sony A mount and are difficult to adapt as there is less than 1mm difference in the two mounts flange distance. The only real way to do it is to have the lens mount replaced which some services do, but I have no experience of this.

EDIT: Rob beat me to it, wrote this earlier but damn internet decided that it wasn't going to work for 2 hours...

Last edited:
Back