Don't want a DSLR anymore....options please

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
No
I've owned a load of Canon DSLR camera's over the years from low-end all the way to some of the best including lenses. In the end I couldn't justify the amount of money I was spending on my hobby, so sold all my gear.

I'd like a new camera but not one where you can change lenses, too much temptation! I love taking wildlife photos, but landscapes too. So ideally something with a decent optical zoom on it.

This has led me to a couple of bridge cameras, the Canon SX50HS and the Panasonic FZ200.

The Canon has a massive focal range but the lens is slow and this camera has a very slow fps but this camera can be found significantly cheaper than the Panasonic.

Would love to hear from FZ200 owners, is 600mm enough for you and are you happy with the image quality?

I'm anticipating that the image quality will obviously be worse than a DSLR but I'm scared I'll buy a camera and it just won't be good enough!

£300/400 is still a lot to spend on this style of camera. Is there anything else I should consider?

Carl, take a card into the Devon Camera Centre (memory card!!! not credit...) and have a play with what they've got. They may even have something in their 2nd hand cabinet.

I've ended up with a Fuji HS30 superzoom bridge - as you say, it's not up to DSLR standards but it does give me a fair amount of control and allows me to print up to A3. I understand that there's a Panasonic superzoom coming out soon but not seen any reviews yet (or had a play!)

Might be worth visiting John Lewis and PCWorld/Currys too to see if their stocks are more extensive.

I've kept all my SLR kit but find the bridge so much more convenient that the SLRs don't get that much use (although they do still come out to play!)

The Panasonic is on my Radar after a lens of mine in the classifieds is sold.

So would be interested in any user opinions too.

Not sure it's hit the shelves yet.

Carl

The Fuji HS10/20/30 is capable of producing very good results - just look at some of them on Flickr.

One of the best photographers at my club uses one and regularly does well in competitions.

Phil

Carl if you look up a member on here RoyC he has posted some decent stuff with the Canon, he is fully aware of the limitations but as far as I can make out he is quite impressed

Carl if you look up a member on here RoyC he has posted some decent stuff with the Canon, he is fully aware of the limitations but as far as I can make out he is quite impressed

Yep Roy also posts lots of info and images in the link above.He seems to get some very good results from the little canon.

Fuji XS1 is pretty good if you want a bridge camera.

A fuji X-Pro1 is also a damn good idea, yes its interchangeable lens but you'll get iQ thats as good as your canons add the 18-55 & 55-200 zooms and your sorted.

A few of my tog buddies have bought the Canon SX50HS to use occasionally instead of their DSLR gear and they are well pleased with it's capabilities.

I have the Lumix FZ200 and it's not a bad camera for what it is but it does have it's downsides. The F2.8 throughout the zoom range is nice but if you want anything past F8 you're stuck because that's where it stops. You also don't have to move too far away from iso 100 before things start getting quite noisy quickly.

So the SX50 has reasonable image quality, or as good as any bridge camera it seems. Just need to know if its really as slow as suggested for action stuff?

Have no idea to be honest Carl, ideally find someone who has one and try it, if not depends on how you feel about reviews this one trusted reviews seem to prefer the Fuji pg3 :shrug: but then you might well find a review that completly contradicts

If you really don't want ILC cameras, I would suggest a look at the Sony RX100. There is a new version out, which is more expensive, RX100 II, but the RX100 is great.

It's got a 1-inch sensor, currently best in class in compacts. And full manual controls and a decent zoom length on it too.

If I had to leave the m43 system for a compact, that is the ONLY camera I would consider.

FZ200 all day long.
lower your expectations for image quality [a bit] and low light shooting though.
I am no pro but I do know two pro photogs who have them alongside their DLSR's

RAW files no the FZ are way way better than the Jpegs

cmc1 said:
FZ200 all day long.
lower your expectations for image quality [a bit] and low light shooting though.
I am no pro but I do know two pro photogs who have them alongside their DLSR's

RAW files no the FZ are way way better than the Jpegs

The FZ200 has a particularly good lens by all accounts and is constant aperture I believe which is unique in this sector (as far as I know)
Regards
Rob

I own a Panny FZ38 bridge, and have been quite impressed until recently when I took it out to photograph some of the floods during the rain.

Now, i know it isn't waterproof but surely a slight spray of water shouldn't cause problems. should it?

A couple of the switches don't auto-return as they should now, and the zooming can be felt a lot more throughout the camera than ever before.

I therefore wonder if the problem is as bad with the FZ200?

Can't seem to find out from Panasonic as their Customer Service Dept is not very helpful at all.

I think I will be guided by which Company is interested in keeping their customers happy or who provide hardier equipment.

Chances are after owning good bodies and glass you will be disappointed . I'm not sure why you would downgrade if you are worried about quality. It's a bit of a contradiction.

I have a Cannon 60D with a Sigma 17-250 lens and I recently bought a Panasonic Lumix G5 because the Canon is too heavy to carry round all day on holiday. I am more than happy with the shots I have been getting from the Lumix and to be honest I haven't had a chance to sit down and really work out how to use it before coming away on holiday. I even think I have had some better shots with the new camera maybe due to in-built level ( I know the 60D has one but you can't see it through the viewfinder) Great shots are not always about the equipment :)

Back