Beginner Don't want to Mess up

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Tomorrow I'm taking some photos of a very good friend the groom getting ready for his wedding, and following him down (I would add I’m not being paid). They have a professional at the event but have asked me to take photos at that as well, i.e. the guests and while I’m around as I’m also a guest to catch the moment?

My problem is that I’ve hardly ever taken pictures of people it’s just not my thing and the groom hasn’t given me any idea of what he wants. What kind of things should I look out for and take? I’m also stuck on what lens or lenses to take the options I’ve got is as follows

Canon EF 70-200mmF2.8 Mkii IS

Canon EF 17-40mm F4

Canon EF 50mm II F1.8

I also don’t own a Flash, I’ve got a ring flash is it worth taking that. I wish I had said no to the whole thing, and just take my camera and if they are rubbish don’t have to produce anything.

Help I don’t want to mess this up for a friend

PS If an admin can delete the other post I put in the wrong area that would be great, as can't see how to delete So Sorry

Phil.

Stick your 50mm on and take candids, take the shots the pro won't take and keep out of his/her way, and enjoy the day with your friend.

Stick your 50mm on and take candids, take the shots the pro won't take and keep out of his/her way, and enjoy the day with your friend.

That's Cool for the Event, when I'm with the Groom in the Morning the Pro isn't there they are with the Bride. What would you suggest their?

There's a lot you can do with a fast 50mm (75mm equivalent) lens in situations like this - 50mm is one of my favourite focal lengths for people pictures in a crowded environment. Take that, compose carefully & use a large aperture to separate the subject from the background.

Use the same lens for the groom if there's space, otherwise the wideangle zoom for interior shots.

Last edited:
There's a lot you can do with a fast 50mm (75mm equivalent) lens in situations like this - 50mm is one of my favourite focal lengths for people pictures in a crowded environment. Take that, compose carefully & use a large aperture to separate the subject from the background.

Use the same lens for the groom if there's space, otherwise the wideangle zoom for interior shots.

Thanks

Hi
My problem is that I’ve hardly ever taken pictures of people it’s just not my thing and the groom hasn’t given me any idea of what he wants.

Then no would have been the best answer. :)

Please come to my wedding, don't enjoy yourself, just work instead :)

Take the 50 1.8 and just see what you get.

The Canon 50mm is a cracking lens and you can do wonders with it and a fast ISO for candids indoors and about 200-400 ISO outdoors (depending on the weather).

The one thing to remember is don't try and emulate the pro - just get the candids he doesn't have time for and basically just enjoy yourself.

Oh yes - stay SOBER - ;)

Don't stress about it too much, let's be honest they probably asked because you are free and a second pro wouldn't of been. Just explain to them to not get to excited.

Personally I would go with the 50mm, it's a brilliant little lens for the money and not as in your face as the 70-200 where as the 50mm will be more covert. That means the ladies won't be trying to look like a pouting ducks.

Shoot loads of candids and take your pick of them after the event. Everyone likes the set poses but it will be the candids with Aunty Linda flashing her stockings after too many bubbles that will give them chuckles for years.

The other thing is just keep out of the way and don't leave anything for people to trip over etc, I'm guessing you don't have public liability insurance, your friends may laugh an accident off but a work mate might not.

Just take loads of pictures and enjoy the day :)

Another vote for the 50mm.

TBH, I would even go so far as to say use the onboard flash if you need extra light. It will give nasty light and horrendous redeye to anyone looking straight at it but for candid SNAPS as you wander round, it'll do the job! Get the groom to get ready near a window so there's at least some light for you and don't be afraid to whack the ISO up as far as you dare - if the results are very noisy, a conversion to B&W can make them look arty and grainy (and even a noisy colour image is better than no image at all!)
Keep a spare card ad battery in your pocket and keep an eye on the meters (battery and shots left) in the viewfinder - swap out before you actually NEED to so you don't miss any action. (Sod's law states that as soon as you have a full card or empty battery, the best man throws up on the bride's mother!!!)

thanks for all the advice.

I was going to go 17-40 as the main. Ill post some pics after the event.

Thanks for all the advice, got some really nice pictured ended up using all three lenses.

Stuck wih the 50mm for 90%.

Got aome really nice shots and spent alot of yesterday processing. The important things is that Bride and Groom loves them.

Hopefully you managed to a) have some fun and b) get some shots that you like as well as the B&G!

Back