Dont you just...

Name
Jordie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hate the Pentax K1000

I am using it fr my Photography exam, and the light meter is SO rubbish.

I am having to do my version of Sophie Calles Hotel in the bloody conservatory.

Anyways rant over!

Ah yes, I remember the K1000 very well. It was the most basic model of all the Pentax manual focus cameras that accepted bayonet-fitting lenses. It doesn't even have a self-timer or any facility for attaching a winder. The light meter was slow to respond particularly when using it in poor light, as there was no LED readout unlike the other Pentax models.

However, being a mechanical manual-only camera, it was very tough and often used as a back-up for those who also owned a more advanced model, such as the ME-Super.

When I worked in a camera shop in the late 1980's, we used to sell quite a lot of these second-hand to students because as it accepted Pentax-K bayonet lenses, there were always plenty of cheap, second-hand independent lenses to choose from.

Light meter? You kids are so spoiled these days. When I were a kid with my first slr - a Zenith B I'll have you know - not your fancy Pentax - I was years away from having my first light meter. All done by guesswork until I got it right every time. And it didn't take me that long either.

And don't start me off on clothes and shoes.

Pfffff.......kids......

I like the way the camera is basic and easy to understand. But it is terrible with light. Even when I have a 60W light bulb in a lamp shining onto the subject.

And here it is in all its simpleness.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

They are a decent, reliable camera. The CDS meter is adequate for most photography. This was the camera that replaced the Spotmatic F.
The lineup was; K1000, KM, KX and K2.

im presuming its an A-level exam....

to be honest, this really isn't the kind of camera that is really helpful for a-levels (most students now get the next class up (ie. slightly better). I notice you have a nikon D40 *hiss*:LOL: why don't you use that for the exam?

If its A-Level photography your doing then thats no problem! You can take the images before hand, do the photoshoping/editing before hand, the writing/preperation etc... BEFORE HAND!

all you do have to do then is spend half and hour to an hour printing them out on (high quality) printing paper and the rest of the time mounting them!

You can even make the mounts/frames before hand if you work out the size you want to print correctly. takes alot of preperation but it really pays off with a calm exam and little stress.

bad workman........ eh jordie. ;)

the k is one of the best cameras ever, in my book. it's brought more people into photography over it's years than everything else together.

Got to agree, never used one but I know lots of peeps who have/do and talking to them the K1000.....its a complete legend..

Blimey completley forgot about this thread :shrugs:

I have been using one in photography at school for about 2 years now. I dont know what camera they will give us in Sixth Form. But I did have a nice Easter with it I must admit.

at least you get supplied with a camera!

we were all told to go and buy one :LOL: one student didn't have one for a whole term....

:LOL: Was that you :p

:cautious:

maybeee......

:LOL:

no, it was a right idiot who got chucked off the course for not doing ANY! work. and then complaining that he got chucked off:wacky:

Back