Dorset Locations

Wembury is ok at low tide. High tide is ok but most of the rocks and accessibility is restricted by the sea. I live 5 mins away. However head around the headland towards Plymouth and Heybrook Bay is gorgeous. Have a look at my Instagram I’ve photographed it many times with it just being around the corner of home www.instagram.com/mighty_blighty

Hope this helps
Thanks for the tip and there's some great work on your Instagram account. Heybrook Bay has some great rock formations. Am I right on saying low tide works best there?

The way thinks are going, I'm looking at more and more coastal locations, so tides are going to be tricky for me to work out for the locations. I notice the tide's don't differ much at Swansea Old Pier. Is there a great difference at low and high tide, i.e. does the water drain from around the shore end of the pier at low tide?

Don't know how mobile you are, but walking up the River Dart valley, northward from Two Bridges should be a real eye-opener. Living as I do in Dartmouth, you get the best of river scenery plus the openness of Dartmoor itself.
Ray Fletcher
(joined today)

Hi Ray

Do you know how far Wistman's Wood is from Two bridges?

If you have a car and don't mind a bit of a drive I can wholeheartedly recommend Becky Falls.
Great for waterfalls or wooded river landscapes.

https://www.beckyfalls.com/

I'll take a tripod next time I go.

Thanks for the tip and there's some great work on your Instagram account. Heybrook Bay has some great rock formations. Am I right on saying low tide works best there?

The way thinks are going, I'm looking at more and more coastal locations, so tides are going to be tricky for me to work out for the locations. I notice the tide's don't differ much at Swansea Old Pier. Is there a great difference at low and high tide, i.e. does the water drain from around the shore end of the pier at low tide?

Thank you, very kind words. Heybrook Bay I find is better at higher tides. Although at low tide you can walk out on the sand quite far. I struggle there with compositions at low tides. Wembury Bay though is the opposite. Low tide is the best time because it uncovers the shores.

I’m not sure about Swanage, I’ve been a few times but not to photograph! I do know at the moment they have a huge platform attached to the normal pier for restoration works. Not sure if this will interfere with anything you are planning to shoot but just a heads up.

Last edited:
Just come back from a couple of days in Dorset, visiting Charmouth, Lyme Regis, Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove and Weymouth. It's a fabulous part of the world. I would definitely recommend Durdle Door, it's absolutely stunning - mind you the walk back is definitely cardiac arrest valley! Next time I go I'm getting in shape for the walk back up the hill :D

Hi Ray

Do you know how far Wistman's Wood is from Two bridges?

Wistman's Wood is barely 1.5 miles above Two Bridges - a well worn path all the way - you can't go wrong. Try a misty day for the full effect but make sure the Devil's hounds are away from home...............;) If it's a nice day there are several tors on the ridge to the east of the river. It's reasonable ground and you can't get lost if you stay on the ridge and the visibility stays good, but I would advise boots or walking shoes, not trainers.

Becky Falls, which is on the east side of the moor NW of Bovey Tracey, or Lydford Gorge, which is to the west of the Sourton - Tavistock road, are only worth going to after a bit of rain, and there will probably be quite a few people in the way. I haven't been to either in years - not since I lived at Haytor and could walk to Becky Falls and slip in without paying................... It's not cheap now, just to see a waterfall.

Just come back from a couple of days in Dorset, visiting Charmouth, Lyme Regis, Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove and Weymouth. It's a fabulous part of the world. I would definitely recommend Durdle Door, it's absolutely stunning - mind you the walk back is definitely cardiac arrest valley! Next time I go I'm getting in shape for the walk back up the hill :D

Thanks Dave. I've short listed a lot of the sites you've mentioned there, they are beautiful locations. You're right about the climb, it does look a little steep ;-)

Wistman's Wood is barely 1.5 miles above Two Bridges - a well worn path all the way - you can't go wrong. Try a misty day for the full effect but make sure the Devil's hounds are away from home...............;) If it's a nice day there are several tors on the ridge to the east of the river. It's reasonable ground and you can't get lost if you stay on the ridge and the visibility stays good, but I would advise boots or walking shoes, not trainers.

Becky Falls, which is on the east side of the moor NW of Bovey Tracey, or Lydford Gorge, which is to the west of the Sourton - Tavistock road, are only worth going to after a bit of rain, and there will probably be quite a few people in the way. I haven't been to either in years - not since I lived at Haytor and could walk to Becky Falls and slip in without paying................... It's not cheap now, just to see a waterfall.

Thanks for the information here Jan and I'll to my best to avoid the Devil's Hounds and be well away from Wistmas Wood before sunset. lol

Most of Dartmoor is not visited by a lot of people. Try Cornwood Maidens, Lints Tor, Sheeps Tor, Belstone, Higher and Winter Tors (easy walk from Belstone) Great Staple Tor is easily reached from the Cox Tor car park,Bench Tor is an easy wlk from Venford Reservoir, also the stream that comes out of the reservoir is quite photogenic, also Tavy Cleave is worth a visit. as with a lot of sites on the Northern Moors make sure that the army are not firing on that day. further afield in North Devon Welcombe Mouth is good (rough road), the mining area at Gonemena on Bodmin Moor is interesting. I have been at Dancing Ledge in Dorset today and looks worth a visit. Porth Nanven and Priest’s cove near Cape Cornwall are worth visiting.

Most of Dartmoor is not visited by a lot of people. Try Cornwood Maidens, Lints Tor, Sheeps Tor, Belstone, Higher and Winter Tors (easy walk from Belstone) Great Staple Tor is easily reached from the Cox Tor car park,Bench Tor is an easy wlk from Venford Reservoir, also the stream that comes out of the reservoir is quite photogenic, also Tavy Cleave is worth a visit. as with a lot of sites on the Northern Moors make sure that the army are not firing on that day. further afield in North Devon Welcombe Mouth is good (rough road), the mining area at Gonemena on Bodmin Moor is interesting. I have been at Dancing Ledge in Dorset today and looks worth a visit. Porth Nanven and Priest’s cove near Cape Cornwall are worth visiting.

Sounds like you have listed some interesting locations there John. I'll have a look through them later today.

John. There's some good locations listed.The waterfalls down stream of Venford Reservoir look very interesting, as do Cornwood Maidens and a few of the Tors! They've been added to my location guide.

HI

I've changed the title to Dorset, from Dorset/Cornwall/Devon as I've looked then locations and the feedback above and decided to stay in the Dorset area, ranging out as far west as Lyme Regis.

Thanks to everyone who has fed back locations. For those locations in the Devon/Cornwall they have been added to a location guide and will be visited on future trips.

I was planning on spending several days in 2 locations, but a few thinks have come up and practically it's easy just to concentrate on the Dorset area. Look out for lots of questions on Dorset Area.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!!!

Gerald

Ordered the Photographing Dorset book by Mark Bauer from WHSmith's yesterday to pick up in store on the weekend. The book hold's it's prive, even for 2nd hand copies. Smith's was the cheapest place I found, as delivery costs on Amazon made it more expensive. Thanks once again for the tips.

Back