Dovecote

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Dovecote, Warmington Northant's, B&W

8533772084_e47a59bc5e_c.jpg

and a link to the village for those interested http://warmington.org/index.php/interest/placesin

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of the subject of this picture but thats a personal thing, what I do really like is the black and white conversion good level of contrast and detail and really 'feels' right for the subject almost like looking back in time.

This is a lovely subject, with potentially great texture, but I think you were competing with seasonally flat light, and that you have perhaps tried to force the contrast too much to compensate.

The potential of this lies in all those mid-tones, and the texture. I suspect you might need a revisit in better light to meet that potential.

An aside - I am perhaps one of the few here who is really only interested in commenting on B&W, but very few posters use the B&W flag. It really helps when you are trawling for mono work.

Edit - I have just looked at the colour version on flikr, and I think there are B&W possibilies here. I see that you have cropped in an attempt to pull the structure off-centre, but I feel that you have just lost something in the composition by doing that. And I think that you just need to haul back on the contrast slightly to get those mids.

Last edited:
@ Horrocks
Thank you for your critique and rest assured I will return to that Dovecote and I hope for better light. I will take on board your suggestions on contrast.

Back