Downgrade mac os

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello.

My mac updated itself to os Ventura.
This has paralyzed my version 8 of Silverfast se plus.
My question is, can I downgrade to os monterey?

Nope. Only way to go back is to restore from a backup.
Do you have time machine setup?
I do have a Time Machine backup but the base system won't let me use it.

I think you should be able to wipe the disk, install the original MacOS version, then use the Time Machine. It is done in Recovery Mode,

What is the issue with the software? There are often workarounds to get older software working that may be simpler than reverting the OS

I think you should be able to wipe the disk, install the original MacOS version, then use the Time Machine. It is done in Recovery Mode,
It's been a while since I OSXed but this certainly used to be possible. The tricky bit is that unless you have saved it, Apple sometimes make it hard to obtain to installation files for an old OS. Check in your "purchase" history at the store.

Silverfast has upgrades available to latest versions, is that possible? You'd need the serial number, which for older software can be a problem (well it is for me!)

What is the issue with the software? There are often workarounds to get older software working that may be simpler than reverting the OS
Silverfast 8 SE will not work on mac Ventura. It did work on Monterey.

It's been a while since I OSXed but this certainly used to be possible. The tricky bit is that unless you have saved it, Apple sometimes make it hard to obtain to installation files for an old OS. Check in your "purchase" history at the store.
I managed to download a disk image of Monterey.
The problem is, even after erasing the disk and going back into recovery mode, it just defaults to downloading and installing Ventura.
In days gone by it used to install whatever the machine had on it at the time of purchase.

Silverfast has upgrades available to latest versions, is that possible? You'd need the serial number, which for older software can be a problem (well it is for me!)
Silverfast is at ver 9 now but there is a fairly hefty price to pay to upgrade.

I managed to download a disk image of Monterey.
The problem is, even after erasing the disk and going back into recovery mode, it just defaults to downloading and installing Ventura.
In days gone by it used to install whatever the machine had on it at the time of purchase.
Take a look at the instructions here

Big thanks to Rapscallion for finding the information for me.
The instructions on the link worked first time.

I still can't install Silverfast though as it now looks like the bundled software is for windows only.

Back