Went up to the tracks today with a few chums trying out a new 70 - 200

Came away with these.

IMG_9418.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

IMG_9470.jpg

IMG_9509.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

As a rider myself, number 4 for me is the best from the set. Although, maybe crop the left of him off a bit. Otherwise, good attempts!

Tom

Tremendous action, some well taken shots ... frightens the life out of me though :D

Have looked at these each time a comment is raised, but sorry, these just don't work for me....I agree you have captured the riders ok, just there is no depth between them and the backgrounds....probably #5 on the second set is my fav, although may be cropping slightly closer would give more impact...and for him, being on the other side of the track as he kicks that way...

apologies for not having critiqued each one...

JB

blythieboy said:
Have looked at these each time a comment is raised, but sorry, these just don't work for me....I agree you have captured the riders ok, just there is no depth between them and the backgrounds....probably #5 on the second set is my fav, although may be cropping slightly closer would give more impact...and for him, being on the other side of the track as he kicks that way...

apologies for not having critiqued each one...

JB

Think a tighter crop would be too tight, you want to see what's going on around rather than just the trick.

Tom

was at Mr Blings on sunday, and lit the jump on the left as the riders came over it....jump/track was bearing left, so then positioned myself on the right with a 70-200 on FF at about 135mm so looked as though I was almost in front of the riders...had the advantage of the foliage behind the riders being some distance away so got decent DOF...

I also try to get the flash units (2 x sb900 on tt5s) fairly close (within 2 feet from edge of track) and quite high to avoid the shadow of the arm coming across the face as I think if you can see the eyes it adds so much more to the shot...apart from that units left on auto, although everything else on the camera is manual

Tend to crop closer on mine than you have, although comparing the shots, your riders got more air than these....although everyone's opinion is different and that is the beauty of offering shots for critique...

Spent most of the day not being able to get a decent angle or shot :bang: ....but that's half the fun trying...good luck at the weekend..

JB

blythieboy said:
was at Mr Blings on sunday, and lit the jump on the left as the riders came over it....jump/track was bearing left, so then positioned myself on the right with a 70-200 on FF at about 135mm so looked as though I was almost in front of the riders...had the advantage of the foliage behind the riders being some distance away so got decent DOF...

I also try to get the flash units (2 x sb900 on tt5s) fairly close (within 2 feet from edge of track) and quite high to avoid the shadow of the arm coming across the face as I think if you can see the eyes it adds so much more to the shot...apart from that units left on auto, although everything else on the camera is manual

Tend to crop closer on mine than you have, although comparing the shots, your riders got more air than these....although everyone's opinion is different and that is the beauty of offering shots for critique...

Spent most of the day not being able to get a decent angle or shot :bang: ....but that's half the fun trying...good luck at the weekend..

JB

I'll keep the height of the flashes in mind on the weekend, can see what you mean about the shadows they create If there too low.

I may try the same angle again ( where the view is dead in front of the rider) and try firing a flash into the woods behind to create more depth.

Cheers for tip :D

Dave

Number 3 for me :) Is that switchback on the top tracks? I'm local to pedalabikeaway but I can't seem to remember where that is....

Nice set, i personally like the crops, as if they were any tighter, the full effect of the riders skills would be lost.(y)
I have to ask though in number 2, whats with the random head sticking out the side of the tree:thinking::shrug:

3 is a great image, but the people in the background kind of spoil it. But I love these kinds of photos.

Back