Downhill mountain biking - learning flash

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
So my Mum bought me a flash for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I've been trying to learn how to use it!

Headed out to the local track last weekend with local riders Tom & Mark for a mess about, quite pleased with the results...

Factory by [smb], on Flickr

Roost! by [smb], on Flickr

3. Bit hot with the flash here but I still like it

Bit hot... by [smb], on Flickr

Tuson by [smb], on Flickr

Let's go by [smb], on Flickr

Gap by [smb], on Flickr

Just ordered some cheap wireless triggers from the bay to try get a bit more creative with compositions

C&C welcome!

Thanks for looking :)

I'm no expert but i would set Exposure to the flash sync speed and go from there.
But i like #6 with maybe more space for the rider to go into.

Nice photos for first time using flash! Once you get the wireless triggers then the fun and experimenting begins!

If you look at the "Rogate downhill mtb " post from me, they are my attempts with OCF and i "try" and use it without being too obvious that i have used it if you get my drift!! Doesn't always work though!!

Last edited:
I think I'm with Shane.

What shutter speed are these?

It looks quite a slow one with then the flash freezing the action (ish) with a bit of blur.

I personally think you should increase the shutter speed to the max the flash allows (others may disagree!!).

Unfortunately one of your mates is wearing a bright white outfit. Not good IMO. I've done a bit of BMX stuff and I hate using flash when the guys are wearing white as it reflects too much. Change them to a mid blue or red with the same settings and the results will be massively different.

As it sounds that these guys are your friends I'd practice on a small dirt jump where it can be repeated over and over again (without them getting too knackered going back up).

You can get great results from a very small jump if the angles are right. There can be a disparity between what a rider wants captured and what works well. Typically a rider wants you to capture the gnarliest thing they can do but this isn't always the best image (even if taken perfectly).

Anyhow, good luck - I love this type of photography and I agree once that goes off camera you won't look back.

Cheers.

Phil

Back