Downloading by card or camera

Edit My Images
No
Just recently I got myself a 64gb card for my Sony A77 it was replacing the 32gb card I have had for a while now.
Then nextdoors came over to download something from his big iPad nit for some reason it wouldn't work.
So he tried a Memory stick and the same so it was down to a SD card.

I had my old one as a back up and let him try to use it but it worked out our printer would not read it.
But he discovered that my card was cracked close to the part where the copper things are.
So I thought it might have been good timing, but I put it in my laptop put some photos on it and there was nothing wrong apart for where it is braking.

So I thought it has to be down to the amount of times it has been in and out of the camera and laptop.
But more so, for me I think its the camera as this is not a smooth action in putting it back it. It sort of catches in the camera somewhere.
So I could be wrong on this, but I really do think it may have come from the replacing into the camera part of it.

My query is this.
Should I download from the camera with the card in it or should I keep doing it he way I have been doing this for a long time now.
Any insight to this will be appreciated.
And my thoughts are this, when you download from the camera the fitting spot is much stronger in construction.
So it should last a lot longer and maybe the life of the camera.But going the way of the SD card might be slightly quicker.
It might cause more damage to my new card ant the old one if i need it at any time.
Thank for your time on this.

They do sometimes fail physically, especially if used in cheap SD card readers. I had one completely disintegrate (SanDisk replaced it under warranty).

I would still use an SD card reader though, SD cards are likely as strong if not stronger than a Mini-USB connector and replacing an SD card is a LOT cheaper than having the camera port fixed.

They do sometimes fail physically, especially if used in cheap SD card readers. I had one completely disintegrate (SanDisk replaced it under warranty).

I would still use an SD card reader though, SD cards are likely as strong if not stronger than a Mini-USB connector and replacing an SD card is a LOT cheaper than having the camera port fixed.

As above, I always use a card readers. Cards are cheaper to replace.

I am using the same SD cards as you are using.
Which are supposedly the best ones on the market.
But as I said I do thing its happening in the camera as the slot for it can take the Sony card and the normal SD card.
But the Sony card gets put in with the prongs the opposite way.
Which I think has something to do with it.
The other part is there is not much room to get the card in maybe if you has smaller fingers it would be much easier.
So this is the only complaint I have with the camera.
Thank you for you reply Eloise.

Back