downsizing.. D7000 > nex6 (with feedback)

Name
michelle
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Am thinking of downsizing my camera and wondered if anyone has any regrets about doing so themselves?

Have a D7000 and assorted lenses, am getting back pain when carrying it and a couple of lenses around for a few hours in my bag. Plus its a pain for travelling trying to fit it all in hand luggage or 10kg allowance..

I have a Sony nex5n with kit lens, 16mm and wide angle attachment which I have started to use when travelling, just not having a view finder is a pain on this..

So, do I get rid and get a Sony nex7 (adding to the lenses I have) or another compact system altogether?.. How does it compare to a D7000 for those that have had both?

We do have a D5000 which I can use if a DSLR is needed, but then again i'd have a which lens to keep / sell dilemma and probably end up keeping them all!

decisions, decisions.... :thinking:

Last edited:
Same situation as you, I have a D600 but it’s a faff to carry around, particularly on holiday. I have used a Nex-5n which I really like, especially with manual lenses so I’m looking to get one before I go on holiday.

Have you looked at the Nex-6n? Built in EVF and same sensor from the 5, the sensor is pretty much the same as the D7000.

Why not consider Micro Four Thirds - the latest bodies such as OMD, GH3 and soon to be released GX7 rangefinder style (similar to NEX7) have great IQ and the variety and quality of lenses is far better than whats available from the NEX range (all Olympus and Panasonic lenses and most accessories re fully compatible with each others bodies
There are weather sealed options in the GH3 and OMD and matching Pro Quality Weather Sealed constant aperture zooms in the Panasonic 35 - 135 and 12 - 35 f2.8s along with some upcoming pro quality lenses from Olympus
I have been with Micro FourThirds since 2010 and wouldn't stray from this superb system which is constantly being added to
Droves of DSLR users have been moving over to the system especially to the OMD which has a sensor producing DSLR performance in a much smaller package
The biggest benefit is in the size of the lenses and you can fit to bodies and two or three lenses in a medium bag !
You'd be amazed at how much you can carry without breaking your back !
The GH3 is a bigger DSLR style body for those who want a more DSLR like experience
Always new lenses and accessories in the pipeline and ongoing development and innovation (Olympus 5 axis stabilisation in the OMD is renowned as the best available for any system)
Regards
Rob

I have been comparing the nex 6 and 7 and both have good features :thinking: not fussed about the wifi but like the normal mode dial on the 6.. it got better reviews for low light use than the 7, meant to be better for using other lenses on etc.. am now thinking more towards the 6 but many still seem to go for the 7 overall..

I was thinking the NEX as I already have the 5n and like that, also have lenses for it that i'll keep if getting the 7.. Will look at others before I finally decide :)

Last edited:
I have been comparing the nex 6 and 7 and both have good features :thinking: not fussed about the wifi but like the normal mode dial on the 6.. it got better reviews for low light use than the 7, meant to be better for using other lenses on etc.. am now thinking more towards the 6 but many still seem to go for the 7 overall..

I was thinking the NEX as I already have the 5n and like that, also have lenses for it that i'll keep if getting the 7.. Will look at others before I finally decide :)

The Nex 6 sound ideal for you,but also have a look at the XE-1 a great little camera and the lens it come with is spot on,and a great in low light :)

I've been looking at douwnsizing my D600 as on holiday it was just a pain in the neck to be honest.
I'm mainly considering a Fuji (XE-1 or X-Pro1) having had one before I know its IQ is outstanding and the handling etc is excellent, I also feel that they would likely give up less to the D600 that some of the other options.

The NEX 7 has always intrugued me, I like the feel and look of it and a quick search shows that the IQ is superb however the lens lineup has always looked poor v Micro 4/3 (and for my needs even Fuji).

Not so long ago I would likely have gone for a NEX / EM5 due to focus peaking/IBIS as I really like using older manual lenses however now that Fuji has peaking I'd be very tempted to take that over anything else.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, I hate the size and weight of my d600 but when I see the quality of the pics all is forgiven!

If your using manual lens then the Nex-6 is the better bet as it handles wide angles without the colour fringing in the corners, this is an issue with the Nex-7 and manual lenses. Or wait for the much rumoured FF Nex which is supposed to be announced this year, won’t be cheap though.

One thing that puts me off the Fuji's is processig the RAW files. My CS5 wont do it without covering the image with a grid of dots so I'd have to use the manufacturers software, shell out for an Adobe or other package or shoot JPEG and I'm not really overjoyed with any of those options.

One thing that would attract me towards the Nex's is that they seem to have a base ISO of 100. The advantage for this is that you can shoot with wider apertures in good light before hitting the max shutter speed. A base ISO of 200 coupled with a max shutter speed of 1/4000 second (Fuji) would have me drop kicking the camera over a hedge in about 5 minutes. Maybe less. Probably a lot less.

the replacement for the NEX-7 is supposedly imminent so you may want to wait to see what it brings - at the least it will cause a redcution in tthe price of the existing one.
As for native lenses for NEX yes, there are not as many as for m4/3 but it's definitely getting there & of course you can fit a wealth of manual lenses to either.

I've decided on the NEX6, think it will suit my needs, I know how to use them.. already have some lenses and its a decent price.. I would imagine a new model would be mega £££'s plus i'm going away to spain in a couple of weeks so would like it then as the thought of carrying my D7000 around is not very appealing.. plus I wouldn't get many clothes in for my 10kg luggage allowance with that and a couple of lenses :)

thanks everyone, very helpful

I know what you mean, I hate the size and weight of my d600 but when I see the quality of the pics all is forgiven!

If your using manual lens then the Nex-6 is the better bet as it handles wide angles without the colour fringing in the corners, this is an issue with the Nex-7 and manual lenses. Or wait for the much rumoured FF Nex which is supposed to be announced this year, won’t be cheap though.

Your spot on in regards image quality the D600 is stunning. I'm just not using it enough at this point to justify keeping it.

I'm hoping that early next year I can afford to have both a DSLR and compact system, I'd maybe plump for a D800 for landscapes to go with an X Series or NEX.

I picked up a refurb 5n from the Sony store and kitted it out with the 3 art sigma primes and it made a very cheap and excellent travel kit to compliment my dslr when I don't want to lug it around. Problem is a whole host of zeiss lenses have just been announced or strongly rumoured for nex and I now want those!

Had the NEX6 and now have the XE1, prefer the XE1. XE1 has better handling, worse EVF, worse screen, better lenses, better sensor. Both are great, lenses are what will make the choice.

Last edited:
Just did a similar thing. Ditched my d7100 and x100 and bought an omd em5. Very good lens selection, really nice handling (especially with the half grip and tilting screen), and very good output. Ive now got a body and 3 quality lenses that fit in a small camera bag.

I was seriously considering the xe1, but having played with both i much preferred the speed / handling of the olympus. It also had a lens in the range i wanted which wasnt available in the fuji (a 24mm to 70mm 2.8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought i'd leave a bit of feedback following my change of camera..

I did go for the NEX6 and used it properly on my recent trip to Spain. I was very pleased with some of the photos, its great to use in low light.. somewhere I always struggled with my Nikon. It was a dream to carry around, especially a couple of days we had in Barcelona, my back would have been broken with all my Nikon kit!

The battery life is a bit poor in comparison, have since bought a spare so hopefully that problem will now be solved!

Glad I made the change, just need to become familiar with all the menus, think I missed a few shots that I might have taken with my Nikon as I was more focused on getting the settings right.. that will come with time I guess..

A few favourites from my trip.

underneath the terrace.. by michy66, on Flickr

side by side.. by michy66, on Flickr

who's shooting who? by michy66, on Flickr

beach fishing.. by michy66, on Flickr

More here if you want to take a look :)
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=21425581@N06&q=sony nex6

Last edited:
Back