Downsizing from D700 to Fuji ???

Edit My Images
Yes
I am downsizing my gear as I can never be bothered to carry my D700, multiple lenses, flash etc.

So my first plan was to sell off all my Nikon stuff except the D700, 24-85mm and 70-200mm, keep those for the vary rare occasions when I do want to use them, maybe 2-3 times a year! And purchase a Fuji X100s as I think I will be more inclined to use it when out and about.

Last night plan B cropped up! Sell all my Nikon stuff and buy a Fuji X-E2 as it will allow me to add different lenses in the future if I want, rather than the fixed lens on the X100s.

Has anyone been through a similar change? Anyone got any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks

Last edited:
I spent a lot of the last couple of years ignoring my 5D (usually accompanied with a vertical grip) 70-200 2.8 and a bunch of other Canon lenses in favour of a Panasonic G2 because of the size and weight putting me off using them.

The G2 made taking pictures a lot more fun again and I could carry it with me most places. With the kit zoom it would fit easily in my work bag. It's about the same size as the Canon A-series film SLRs that I have been using for 30 years and still love using.

One downside was that I couldn't quite get the quality I was used to with the 5D setup, especially once you start to crank up the ISO. I was wary of shooting much above ISO 400, though newer m4/3 bodies appear to do much better.

What I'd also discovered along the way with the G2 was that I really missed using manual focus lenses like most of my film cameras. The collection of Canon FD lenses I still had expanded somewhat after I got an adapter for the G2 and I could go out with a digital and film body for a day and shoot both. The 2x crop on the G2 somewhat limited the choice of lenses I could take out with me.

Anyhow, I'd been keeping a very keen eye on the Sony NEX-7 and the higher end Fujis. I very nearly bought an XE-1 or 2 on several occasions last year.

Sony provided me with a solution at the end of 2013: I bit the bullet in November and sold the 70-200 to part-fund an A7, which is about the same size as the G2, but allows me to do full frame on digital and 35mm film with one set of lenses. The EVF on the A7 is a vast improvement on the G2.

I've spent the last few weeks working out that I don't really need AF for most of the things I tackle and that I can live with the A7 full time, so it's likely the rest of my Canon EF gear will go in the near future.

No camera is perfect, but I am really enjoying it. Small things that were difficult or impossible with the 5d, like being able to perch it on a tripod I can keep in my jacket pocket for night shots, are a real boon. It opens up opportunities that I did not have previously.

I reckon if I hadn't had the impetus to use adapted lenses, I'd have very likely gone to Fuji. They seem to have a very good selection of lenses (the 35mm f/1.4 may reason enough alone) a decent roadmap for future releases and some bodies capable of delivering some particularly nice results. I also have to admire the way Fuji have been continuing to release firmware updates for their cameras that provide significant performance improvements, even after the cameras have been discontinued. That deserves a lot of respect.

You could get a Olympus trip or other small camera to try, On the cheap, as they film :)

I did something similar, I sold all my Nikon gear (d300s and half a dozen lens) and brought a Sony Nex 7 and now have 3 nice lens for it and have never looked back, I take my little camera bag everywhere with me, and its always in the car, its the best thing I've ever done, I am saving now for the new a7r which is not much bigger than the nex 7 and is full frame....

It's worth looking at the current X-Pro1 deal if you're thinking of making the move, it's a steal at the moment (£899 with the 18mm and a free lens (35mm 1.4 or 60mm 2.4).

I went from a D600 to the X-Pro1, it was painless, far more compact and 'take-everywhere-able' with no discernible drop in image quality for me. Probably best to handle one first though as the philosophy is entirely different, personally I love the hands on nature of the Fuji bodies but it's not for everyone.

Is that a UK based offer only or do you know if it's world wide?

It's worth looking at the current X-Pro1 deal if you're thinking of making the move, it's a steal at the moment (£899 with the 18mm and a free lens (35mm 1.4 or 60mm 2.4).

I went from a D600 to the X-Pro1, it was painless, far more compact and 'take-everywhere-able' with no discernible drop in image quality for me. Probably best to handle one first though as the philosophy is entirely different, personally I love the hands on nature of the Fuji bodies but it's not for everyone.

You could get a Olympus trip or other small camera to try, On the cheap, as they film :)

The only problem with that is D&P cost. With film now rising in price, a 36 exposure is likely to cost close to a tenner per roll all in, so it won't take much use to see the cost of the cheap (FF) compact rise to much more than a decent compact digital.

I have a big bag full of FF DSLRs and assorted lenses but have barely used them in the past year or so. Mainly because I also have a couple of baby X Fujis and have recently bought a Nikon 1 series CSC with an adaptor to accept F mount lenses. The ultimate quality isn't there but they all produce stunning images at A3+ print size! I don't plan on selling off the DSLRs since they are more versatile and can do some things far better than any of the smaller cameras but I do like travelling light and my back seems to be aching less these days!

I am currently in the process of selling all my DSLR stuff. The Canon 40D and lenses have gone, just have various bits still to go. I had purchased a Fuji X10 last year, and hardly used the Canon gear all year. Then I purchased a Fuji X-E2 a few weeks ago and it's a great camera. Just have the kit lens at the moment, but planning to get the 60mm macro (which currently has a £100 rebate offer) and the 55-200mm.

I was in exactly the same boat, was slowly taking less and less photos due to not being bothered to lug my D700 around with me, so I bit the bullet and sold all my gear and bought a Fuji X-E1 and currently have the 18mm and 35mm lens' for it, and hopefully soon the 23mm :) After a couple of months I can now say I'm pleased with my decision, yes there's times when I miss the fast AF but to be honest I can't say I ever find the AF on the Fuji a big nuisance. However the amount of photos in my Lightroom library has at least tripled, mainly due to the fact I now have a camera, which quality wise is brilliant and fits in my coat pocket :)

I have a similar story to Musicman.

I moved from 35mm SLR and RF's to a 20D DSLR and on to 5D but I wanted something smaller and so bought a GF1. I was reasonably happy with it but I couldn't live without a VF so changed it to a G1 and found that I just wan't using my Canon gear. There are only a couple of things I didn't like about the G1, there are plus and minus points to the crop factor but I thought that better higher ISO performance could be better and the EVF could certainly be better in darkness.

The Sony A7 has fixed the high ISO issue and the EVF in darkness issue is not completely fixed but is just about ok.

I've now sold all my DSLR lenses and my 5D is up for sale and at the moment I just can't see myself returning to DSLR's as they're just too big, heavy and attention grabbing.

I bought a kit lens with my A7 as I thought I might as well have one but so far all I've used are my manual legacy lenses and the quality seems to be at least equal to my 5D and AF lenses for all practical purposes.

Last edited:
The only problem with that is D&P cost. With film now rising in price, a 36 exposure is likely to cost close to a tenner per roll all in, so it won't take much use to see the cost of the cheap (FF) compact rise to much more than a decent compact digital.

I have a big bag full of FF DSLRs and assorted lenses but have barely used them in the past year or so. Mainly because I also have a couple of baby X Fujis and have recently bought a Nikon 1 series CSC with an adaptor to accept F mount lenses. The ultimate quality isn't there but they all produce stunning images at A3+ print size! I don't plan on selling off the DSLRs since they are more versatile and can do some things far better than any of the smaller cameras but I do like travelling light and my back seems to be aching less these days!
not really more like £4........ £1 for a 36 exp from pound land and £3 to get it put on disc at asda hth mike

I have just sold my D7000 and lenses. The XPro1 and X100 are now my main cameras although I have just picked up a 5D classic with a 50mm lens. The idea of the 5D was for the telephoto side of things mainly as I wasn't sure what I made of the larger lenses on the X system.

I think the current XPro deal is great and the image output is fantastic. You would certainly notice a weight difference coming from a D700. My father owns a D700 and it's quite a heavy kit to carry around. As someone else has said, try one out. The AF isn't for everyone. I personally haven't found any problems with it myself but then I don't do a lot of fast action stuff.

The X series has certainly made me want to go out and shoot more. Just on the basis of weight mainly.

I had a Canon 40D with an assortment of lenses, sold most of the lenses off, bought an X100 18 months ago, the best thing I did for my photography, really got me interested again, and using a camera more. Have recently added a Fuji X-E2 to the stable, as I wanted a bit more flexibility with lenses.

Still have the 40D but only a couple of lenses, 17-85 and 50mm f1.8. Only taken it outside once in the last 18 months, to take photos at a school prom, where the faster AF was of great benefit.

If you live without lightning AF then the little Fuji's really take some beating.

Pretty much all I use when I'm not working is my X100s. Done far more for my photography then anything else. Id do it

I couldn't dump the FF DSLR's... the overall performance/capabilities of the other options just aren't up there yet. But for a lot of less demanding stuff I'm fine with using my Fuji X20 or Nikon V2.
(I'll probably sell the X20 in favor of the V2 kit)

Reactions: Nod
Yes just switched over myself,mainly because my D700 with the 24-70 plus other lens in my Nikon set up became just to heavy to carry around.
I have moved to Fuji,but i think if i could have stilled be able to carry around i would of have both an DSLR and a CCS :)

Not from my own experience but a mate of mine has just moved from a Canon 5D2 with a selection of L lenses to a Fuji XE-1 and he is bowled over by the quality of both the Fuji kit and the images it produces.

He prints up pretty large, exhibits a lot and wins lots of prizes in highly competitive competitions so is VERY picky about the images he creates.

He shoots street and landscape; looking at his work I think it shows the Fuji gear capable of producing astonishing images.

I couldn't dump the FF DSLR's... the overall performance/capabilities of the other options just aren't up there yet. But for a lot of less demanding stuff I'm fine with using my Fuji X20 or Nikon V2.

Have you tried any of the larger sensor csc yet?

L
not really more like £4........ £1 for a 36 exp from pound land and £3 to get it put on disc at asda hth mike

Even doing it at super bargain basement prices, that's 10p/shot before you see a print. Taking the Fuji XF-1 at Currys at the moment (if they've got any left!) @ £130, that's only 1,300 shots before the digital's cheaper. TBH, it's probably better quality too - IIRC, the Asda scans are 300DPI @ 6x4, so anything over 7.5x5 will need a better scan to print well and decent scanners aren't cheap.
I'm all for film but it's no longer a cheap alternative and for how long will film be cheaply available (some Poundlands already have no stock of the Agfa films) and D&P be cheaply available (plenty of smaller high street D&P places have vanished over the past few years)?

I would just hold on a bit as Fuji is about to release a new x series camera in january.

Supposedly a xp2 but with the kind of leaks fuji has we would've seen more evidence of this if it was to be released January and a black x100s. Xp2 is gonna set you back much more than an xe2.

As a pure amateur, I reckon the 1 series Nikons do a pretty good job when used with F mount lenses. I recently shot at a zoological park with an AW-1 and a 70-300 VR and was blown away by the results. OK, not quite up to what the DSLRs can give but one hell of a lot cheaper than a D700 and an 800mm lens! I also had a play with the AW-1 and a 600mm f/4 VR. My ghast was absolutely flabbered! Looks a bit silly

DSCF3760
by gpn63, on Flickr

but when you stick a 1.4x converter on it as well, a baby Fuji all but fills the frame from about 30' away and the markings on the front of the lens are clearly readable, it's hard to see any massive problem. Apart from when wider angles are wanted and that's where the XF-1 comes into its own as long as 25mm (EFL) is wide enough.

'
DSC_0235 by gpn63, on Flickr

I was talking to a pro yesterday and he's got rid of all his SLR kit and now uses an X-Pro for all his work. If he ever needs to have anything else, he rents/borrows but that's only really when clients still think it's the box that makes the pictures. (He gets flown around the world to do product shots, so he's not a local snapper!)

Thanks all , very useful replies.

Any idea when in January the new Fuji might be announced. I go away on holiday at the beginning of March so need my replacement before then.

I really think I'll put the D700 and other lenses up for sale tomorrow, scary decision I thought I'd never sell it !

this is the rumour http://www.fujirumors.com/weather-sealed-x-with-better-af-than-x-e2/
its not x pro 2 that isnt even being built yet it seems as fuji have just said they arent even planning a release yet. THis camera they talk of is between the x pro 2(whever that comes) and x-e2 ( a new middle tier) and wont until they make a big breakthrough in tech so probably waiting for organic sensor technology. you never know if this stuff is going to happen but there is a gap forto start tempting more pro togs over. so it could happen.

ere are the specs of the weather sealed X until now (from trusted, new and also anonymous sources):
  • bigger and better EVF
  • APS-C X-Trans sensor (16MP)
  • double SD-card slot
  • weather sealed body
  • launch in January
  • price range between X-E and X-PRO line
  • FujicaST-like design
  • faster AF than the X-E2

Last edited:
Just to add, if you are not a pro id get a used x-e1 and plug more money into lenses then you wont feel any regret selling the x - e 1 later for a much better body and wait for x pro 2

and to add more, buy your stuff used, save a fortune and look for good deals on ebay then plan a lens list and work on that and build towards the x pro 2 which will probably be revolutionary.

Last edited:
I've done something similar. Sold a Canon 7D plus lenses because I wasn't taking it out of the house. A lot of my photography is done when I'm out walking or biking, so a lot of the time the I didn't want the weight of the SLR in my bag.
I bought a cheap Lumix GX1 off ebay to try out and was very impressed with what I could get out of such a small camera. I've since got a GX7 and have 14mm and 45mm primes along with the kit zoom.
I'm now taking it out more often and taking a lot more pictures than I used to with the Canon.
Another big advantage if you're out and about with the camera is that you look like a tourist with a compact taking casual snaps. Any sort of big SLR makes you look more serious, which can alter people's reactions to you.

I have a D700 and intend keeping that (at least until I can afford a D800) as it is such a great camera. With the 2.8 lenses (or primes) its a great camera, perfect for what I want. I have recently bought an XPro and can see myself running both systems as that to is a very good camera. Its so much lighter than the D700, the IQ is almost as good, the only not so good aspects are the battery life, flash and AF. The AF speed is not as good as the D700 but good enough for most situations. As a travel camera its ideal and £900 for the body and 2 lenses its a steal.

I gave the NEX 7 a try when it came out since I was getting tired of the trade offs adapting old lenses to my Canon 40D and 5D. I made sure I bought from a place that had a great return policy. Shouldn't have bothered, my Canon gear was all gone within a month. No regrets, the NEX 7 is an amazing camera.

Then I gave the Metabones Speedbooster a try when it was released. A bit pricey, but the reviews seemed promising. It now pretty much stays glued to my camera. Turns my NEX 7 into a FF camera with little to no side effects. But I can drop it off and get all the benefits of APS-C if I so choose. Highly versatile, highly recommended. You can see my Speedbooster/NEX 7 shots here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8539414@N07/sets/72157633126249795/

If you are not a professional photographer and you dont need big kit there is a lot to be said for dumping bulky old DSLR's and god awful big zooms. Small, mirrorless cameras are where its at. Travel light.

Thanks all , very useful replies.

Any idea when in January the new Fuji might be announced. I go away on holiday at the beginning of March so need my replacement before then.

I really think I'll put the D700 and other lenses up for sale tomorrow, scary decision I thought I'd never sell it !

Same here,but i did do it,no regrets so far,and don't worry to much about rumors their is always some out their.

:)

As a pure amateur, I reckon the 1 series Nikons do a pretty good job when used with F mount lenses. I recently shot at a zoological park with an AW-1 and a 70-300 VR and was blown away by the results. OK, not quite up to what the DSLRs can give but one hell of a lot cheaper than a D700 and an 800mm lens! I also had a play with the AW-1 and a 600mm f/4 VR. My ghast was absolutely flabbered! Looks a bit silly
I've attached the V2 to my 400 2.8 + 2x...almost 2200mm. Hard to keep the moon in the frame; and hard to get a usable SS.

I have a D700 and intend keeping that (at least until I can afford a D800) as it is such a great camera. With the 2.8 lenses (or primes) its a great camera, perfect for what I want. I have recently bought an XPro and can see myself running both systems as that to is a very good camera. Its so much lighter than the D700, the IQ is almost as good, the only not so good aspects are the battery life, flash and AF. The AF speed is not as good as the D700 but good enough for most situations. As a travel camera its ideal and £900 for the body and 2 lenses its a steal.

Likewise, my D700 now lives at my studio and an XP1 is my new companion and at the price it would be rude not to join the ever growing club, I used it on a studio shoot last weekend and the images are exceptional.

I find myself working in a totally different way which is refreshing and models see it as a little quirky but are amazed with the images from my little camera!

:plus1: Fun, isn't it Steven?! Have to say that the 70-300 is a lot easier to use - far lighter so handholding is feasible (the 600 is a heavy beast and the light was NOT good - the snap of the Fuji above was lit by fast fading evening light and a single LED torch, hence tripod mounted.) Doesn't give quite the same reach and can't take Nikon teleconverters but at an EFL of 810mm, it's long enough!

Just to add, if you are not a pro id get a used x-e1 and plug more money into lenses then you wont feel any regret selling the x - e 1 later for a much better body and wait for x pro 2

and to add more, buy your stuff used, save a fortune and look for good deals on ebay then plan a lens list and work on that and build towards the x pro 2 which will probably be revolutionary.

This has really thrown a spanner in the works! I can get a used X-E1 for half the price of a new X-E2, saves me nearly A$700.
So my next question is how much better is the X-E2 over the X-E1?

My only suggestion would be to try one before you take the plunge. I tried the same switch, but I couldn't connect with the Fuji, in part through handling, in part through EVF. I love the idea of the Fuji, and some things like showing histogram live in the viewfinder, of DOF live in viewfinder, it's simply not possible with DSLR at present. However, "cool" as those things were, on those occasions where I need them it takes me only a second to snap an image with the DSLR, check histogram, then compose another. Eventually the EVF just never felt right in terms of resolution and lag, compared to my DSLR.

My other beef was that for me at least the Fuji was still large enough to be a nuisance size wise. Slightly less so than my DSLR, but not a huge difference. Still needs a bag or hanging over your shoulder (i.e. not pocketable). If I'm going to have a bag or a camera on my shoulder, I don't mind an extra couple of hundred grams and have no compromises.

Eventually I sold my Fuji (18mm still advertised on here), kept my DSLR and bought the Sony RX100. So when I really really don't want bulk, the Sony is in my jeans pocket (back pocket for M2, but even front pocket would fit for M1!). If I'm wearing a suit it goes in my inside pocket. A jacket, it goes in any pocket - ideal.

I think the issue with Fuji is very specific to me and my connection (or not) with the EVF, so YMMV. My only point would be to try beforehand and see how it works. The D700 is a superb camera, so would be a shame to move and it not really work.

The xp1 has a ovf and evf, I think Moadibs comments are based on an xe1.

Oops! And mine were based on an XF-1. AFAIK, there's no such camera as the XP-1 - if you mean the XPro-1, please say so.

I've recently done the same. My regular gear was just prohibitively heavy for just a day out and holidays. I ended up not using it as regularly or compromising on packing for holidays.

It's been said here already but you must handle the cameras before you commit. I was so close to pulling the trigger on an Fuji a month ago. All the reviews suggested it's a top quality product and I didn't/don't doubt them.

I had a spare few hours so I thought I'd take a leisurely motorbike ride down to Park Cameras just to see one in the flesh. To cut a long story short I ended up with a Panasonic G5. Cheaper than I expected, handles beautifully (for me, due to my stupid fat hands) and takes a nice shot. I just couldn't get on with the feel of the Fuji. It's infinitley better looking than the G5 but that counts for nothing if you curse the thing every time you use it.

I'm now narrowing down my choice of lenses and will spend the next few weeks developing my G5 technique. It'll end up being my go to holiday gear. I can get the G5 and 3 lenses in the space that my gripped D800 and an attached 2.8 takes up.

Back