DPOTY 2024 - Chat thread

I post my images to Flickr at 2048px longest side. Don't forget to make them Public not Private or they won't be visible.
Here's what I do after to get the code to post on TP forums. Hope it helps.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 15.53.15 by John Hallard, on Flickr
Thank you, there is something about the picture won't let me post 2048px could be the image file size. BB code with 1024px longest edge does work.

Thank you, there is something about the picture won't let me post 2048px could be the image file size. BB code with 1024px longest edge does work.
Yep, I use 2048px upload to Flickr because that's the best quality for FBook and I can reduce from there for other sites if needed.
As Gav says, TP has to have max 1024 (exactly half the size) and it seems to me to make the reduction algorithm less harsh.

Yes, a 'normal' 1024 x 1024 px file is about 1 Mbyte uncompressed but jpeg compression at 100% highest quality gives a [roughly] 220 kb .jpg file so should be well within the file size limit.
There is something about the image. I exported with Capture One which estimated the file size would be 510K at 80% quality before export, but the actual file size is over 2M. Thanks for the link, this estimates 680k for 100%.

Personally I export at full quality and size to Flickr, which sometimes means 45Mb files from my D850, then use the BBCode for Large 1024px in Flickr to create a link to paste into TP. I don't export for any social media like Insta or FB as a rule, but if I do then I just export from Lightroom with a specified max file size as necessary.

I'm in, I must try harder in the next round, not been feeling to great this month so lacking the energy and time to do what I had in mind for February.

Sorry very late one from me as my daughter was assaulted recently so I just haven't given the challenge or anything else much thought. Just wanted to get something in for the month. Monochrome setting on S1 JPEG
Sorry to hear that I hope she is ok!

Some great entries for February, I especially like that a few people went for monochromatic colours not just B&W. Indeed ancient_mariner offered up one similar to an idea I had of blue-toning a b&w image - but I never found the time to shoot something! Well done all, the poll is up now for a week.

So many good ones to choose from! This was the first time for me with monochromatic that's not B&W and I learned a lot in the process. Starting with a mostly red image, it was surprisingly difficult to remove the few other tones and keep the feel of the original, it took a lot of dodging and burning to avoid looking flat. A fun challenge!

please don’t be hard on me.
I expected to see more colour
:exit:
Maybe because monochrome was not clear as to what It is

Congratulations to @Santafe2000 for the winning submission, although @Gav. and a few others were very close behind and some terrific photographs were entered. Well done for the creativity and imagination in some of those especially.
I'll update the tracking sheet shortly and post.

Congratulations, lovely image ;)

I must admit that if I hadn't packed most of my photo and astronomy kit, I'd have been looking at the night sky for an image (if it weren't constantly raining at present), but the theme permits other interpretations. Long lenses...

I shall resist the temptation to take a picture of a picture of the Hubble Deep Field that I have framed on my wall here at home as I think I would probably win the distance challenge at 13 billion light years.

I've gone for something on planet Earth, taken this morning over an inversion covering the foreground.

The poll for March is up, and the entries thread for April too. Keep shooting guys!

Hoping someone could help me. In regards to voting how does one go about doing that do I simply like the post of the images I like or am I missing something.

Hoping someone could help me. In regards to voting how does one go about doing that do I simply like the post of the images I like or am I missing something.
You can like as many images you want.

To vote, use the poll at the top of the page, 'tick' the boxes on the left next to the 3 images of your choice then hit 'cast vote'.

PS, welcome to TP.

Last edited:
You can like as many images you want.

To vote, use the poll at the top of the page, 'tick' the boxes on the left next to the 3 images of your choice then hit 'cast vote'.

PS, welcome to TP.
Thank you for the help.

Well done everyone for March entries and voting, nice to see a good spread of favourites; a couple of clear leaders though, so here's the updated leaderboard for DPOTY24:

1712839932412.png

@Santafe2000 and @TimHughes are having a good year so far in the challenges, so the rest of us need to think about upping our game! (and some of us - me particularly - need to get out more with cameras!)

Congrats @Santafe2000 and of course well done to the rest with some wonderful entries. It’s interesting to see how everyone interprets a theme every month. I’m grateful for this challenge because I take pictures I usually would not take.
And thx to Lindsay for taking the time to work out points and organise everything so far

Back