Dream of an amateur photographer – The UEFA Champions League

Name
Claus
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Although I am Danish (sorry for my English), I often visit this great site. I have had great inspiration, reading the tips of more professional guys. I pick up bits and pieces every time I get around, and I would like to tell you my story, as it could be an inspiration to all beginners and also to the pros.
In 2006 I bought my first Canon DSLR (the 350D with the kit lenses) to capture my kids in sports, most football. I had great fun and started to shoot lower non-league games. One day I met a local reporter, asking him, if they would like some pictures of a game. The answer was yes, but no pay. At that time, that was perfect for me. It developed; soon I covered every away game of my local team (where they would not send their own photographers). They started to ask for special pictures, and then I asked to get paid. The money made me buy the 50D and soon after a Sigma 70-200, 2.8. Pictures improved, I read every forum, I looked into every professional archive (Getty is great inspiration) and started to contact other local newspapers. It builded up slowly, now the 7D took over and the original Canon 70-200 2.8 replaced the Sigma. What a difference.
I decided to officially start up a small company, setting up a website and online shop, moving in to the Division Two (third tier) of the Danish Football League. Recommended by friends (Facebook is great) I shot women’s Danish premier league. I did player portraits and discovered how many non-league players would buy “professional” pictures of themselves.
This year my dreams have come through. Seven years after my first shot, I have bought the 1DX. Hell of an expensive camera but paid only by money earned from my pictures. Expensive yes, but fantastic. My self-confidence has grown, my pictures improved and I have got the licence to shooting in the Danish Premier League. Wauu, it’s great – (although I still do the lower Leagues, where competition is not that big).
Tuesday this week was the day of my sweetest dreams. I decided to apply for the UEFA Champions League clash in Copenhagen against Turkish site Galatasaray. And I got it!!! Didier Drogba, Roberto Mancini – within a few yards – I had great shots and a fantastic night….
To all you real amateurs and non-league photographers – keep working, shooting and learning. And to all the pros – keep up your great inspirational comments, the critique and advices. It has surely been gold for me.
Thanks…..

Hi Claus and welcome

H

Welcome to the forum - great to hear about your success with the football coverage :)

Great little read on a Saturday morning - and I am sure Parken Stadium was nice and full for the game. Just shows what you can do .. start from small and grow !
(p.s Had a great time at Parken myself a while ago for the EuroVolley :)

Welcome Claus, great story, just shows what determination can do.

wow congratulations :)
When you started shooting the lower non league games did you just have the kit lens?! Great story, well done!

Thank you all, I would love to share some of the photos. From the first ones - with the kit lenses - all the way to the newest shoots. However, I think this forum is not for posting images??? Should I set them up externally on my website or which way will be best? I am not that experienced in here, so a little advice would be welcome :)

Thank you all, I would love to share some of the photos. From the first ones - with the kit lenses - all the way to the newest shoots. However, I think this forum is not for posting images??? Should I set them up externally on my website or which way will be best? I am not that experienced in here, so a little advice would be welcome :)
Not 100% sure but I'd love to see the progression - great story!

Great story, sums up what i want to achieve really.

How old were you when you first started photographing the non league games?

Great story.

Now go for the Champions League final - probably not with a Danish team, mind. ;-)

bump! Would love to see the photos as you progressed! As well as the questions answered :)

Back