drift photography

Name
andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
i am going to donnington park on the 10th of july for the 4th round of bdc (british drfit championship) and would like a few pointers on drift photography

what is best?

a good low speed pan?

using a monopod?

head on shot?

3 quarter pan?

thanks for any help

Dont use a monopod, it's just going to get in your way. The fastest the cars ever get up to is about 100-110mph on entry, and will probably only be doing between 60-90ph in the corners.

Head vs 3/4. I think depends on the car and track. One of the better cars that make loads of smoke will look good head on. A car not making any smoke will look a bit static even with a good slow pan.

As for shutter speed, if you like to abuse DOF you can go as low as 1/25 and stick some ND on the end of you glass. I think normally you will be somewhere between 1/100 and 1/40.

You could be limited by the track layout, which as of yet i don't know myself what it will be like.

wicked thanks for your help i got a 70-300 or 50-500 what you think would be best

do you take photos for bdc??

I'm a photographer and reporter for Drifted.com and cover the BDC events.

For all day use without a monopod I would use the 70-300. I had a 50-500 for a while, it's a beast and unless you are Mr T you will get tired holding it up all day.

get them head on going round a corner

495258125_079ebe645a_o.jpg

entry into corner

495257789_d0eead5815_o.jpg

get a few different corners, chicanes are good if you get two cars one behind each other.

have a look online at other peoples drift shots and see what looks good then copy the composition

Back