Drive B&B holiday in UK - Where?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
If you had the idea to explore our own country rather than going abroad.. If you dcided hey.. I havent really seen all that my country has to offer... then decide as you like driving... dont like camping... a Tour and B&B or hotel motel stops would do..

Its 50 quid a night.. so even a weeks holiday is 350 quid (cheaper than a static caravan for a week) and fuel

But where? England Scotland Wales... Just want to see the sights.. anyhting really.. where are places to go not seaside town..or big cities..

Lake District for me, South Wales is also superb.

Why not start by looking at a map and deciding on what places you havn't seen but want to and go from there. Once you have an idea of areas/ towns then you can start to plan a route.

Lake District for me, South Wales is also superb.

Lake districts one of the few places i ahve done to dfeath.. sorry I should have listed...

South wales? whats there? I going to newport in a couple of weeks for weekend.. quick train ride into cardiff for day... its for football and a break :)

So whats decent round south wales to see?

Why not start by looking at a map and deciding on what places you havn't seen but want to and go from there. Once you have an idea of areas/ towns then you can start to plan a route.

Its knowing whats there... and any point in actually going to it? This is where other peoples experiences come into play... Oh we went to X and it was wonderful to look at or explore and blah blah.....

We did think on a nice week... drive down to south east then work our way up east coast as never been to any of those towns.. up to scarboorough by end of week then accross the m62 home..

But that would all be seaside stuff..

Lake districts one of the few places i ahve done to dfeath.. sorry I should have listed...

South wales? whats there? I going to newport in a couple of weeks for weekend.. quick train ride into cardiff for day... its for football and a break :)

Brecon Beacons, lots of superb beach areas, very picturesque, like Cornwall but without the tourists. When you want to go, we're going in a weeks time, Daughter-in-Law is from there so we have done a couple of weekends but want to explore a bit more.

Few days on Skye, then back on the mainland head north via Pass of Cattle to Applecross, then coast road, b&b around Torridon, up towards poolewe then onwards via Ullapool over Kylesku Bridge. head up towards b&b Scourie, or Kinlochbervie or even up as far as Durness, Spend a few days in this area and take a visit up to Cape Wrath Lighthouse the furthest north westerly point in the UK.

Head over to Tongue and amble your way down south from there.

The scenery is absolutely stunning, you won't see anything like it elsewhere in the UK. I guarantee you will get some great photographs on a trip like this, weather permitting of course ;)

If you are game for a long drive -

NW coast of Scotland.

Anywhere really but, from Kyle of Lochalsh to Ullapool has scenery in spades and though it is all coast there are no seaside towns and no cities.

Dave

Isle of sky... I ahve never heard of any of the places you mention frank.. sky.. but wasnt too sure where that was... found this http://www.isleofskye.com/ gonna investigate the other stuff... thanks frank loks good

Dave.. yes distance no problem... Love driving.. nearly 40 yrs and the novelty hasnt worn off yet :)

Another vote for NW Scotland for me. Kintyre peninsula is great too.

Heather

frank.... do you drive over the bridge into sky or ferry.. bridge sounds easier.. all this nw scotland inc sky is a goer.. wife likes the idea..

As a Yorkshire lad...who loves the Lakes...I'd have to say Isle of Skye.

Now, I've only been there once, but OMG, it was amazing. Really, great folk and stonking scenery.

Irony, while trying to find our accommodation we asked the postman, who was from Sheffield, and a vet who was from Huddersfield :LOL:

Cheers.

Last edited:
+1 for applecross the pass of the cattle is a ace road to drive here is a friends flicker she stays in applecross and the landscapes are wow hope this isnt breaking any rules posting her flicker page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniemacd/

West of Scotland, yes very picturesque but you'd better take loads, gallons, of midge repellant.

We did think on a nice week... drive down to south east then work our way up east coast as never been to any of those towns.. up to scarboorough by end of week then accross the m62 home..

But that would all be seaside stuff..

Yes, lovely east coast seaside towns like Southwold, Aldborough Walberswick etc but inland Lavenham, Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge and Ely are all nice places to visit.

Ta Tracey.. will google the places.. havent gone into detail on that one.. its a todo for sure as it would all be new to us...

First up would be sky and west scotland now.. I cant afford not to work weekends so am going to be looking at sunday evening to friday night trips... distance no problem..

Just a matter of getting them organised now..

am looking for a 17-40 lens... all mine are geared towards sports jobs.. ahve a 35 prime but might be limiting.. Never shot landscape or scenery before.. wouldnt know a good landscape shot if it bit me on the ..behind... But I know a nice view when I see one so will take pics of that :)

frank.... do you drive over the bridge into sky or ferry.. bridge sounds easier.. all this nw scotland inc sky is a goer.. wife likes the idea..

There are a couple of ferries and a bridge, depending on the route you choose. If you go to Mallaig there is a ferry to Armadale in the south of Skye, or else their is a small ferry at Glenelg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23373282

Other than that there is the free bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh, so no hasssle there about waiting or times.

To add to the Brecons there is always the area of South West Wales including the Gower Peninsula which was the first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Wales. Some amazing cliff and seascapes then North into Pembroke.

Lots of Nstional Trust and protected areas (like Rosili and Three Cliffs on the Gower).

Steve

Scotland is a glorious country, every time I go up that way I feel a smile a grow inside me.

My Uncle lives on Skye, he moves back down here for every summer for a reason, so you may want to have a look at Midge season and be prepared. If you can beat them then it will be a worthwhile visit ;)

And just to spout a little pride, he used to drive the Harrods horse and cart too!

Have fun Tony, it's a great place.

OMG what a great site phil

As self employed I dont need to go in summer holidays same time as everyone else.. so gonna wait until schools go back then catch a week with no footy and go..less traffic.. cheapr accomodation? so early sep..which to be fair isnt that far off.

are midges bad all yr round.. presume they die down when cooler?

OMG what a great site phil

As self employed I dont need to go in summer holidays same time as everyone else.. so gonna wait until schools go back then catch a week with no footy and go..less traffic.. cheapr accomodation? so early sep..which to be fair isnt that far off.

are midges bad all yr round.. presume they die down when cooler?

I go in May (before they get bad) And October (when they ar dead!) but this year they may not be around as late as the weather has not helped them breed.

Avon SkinSoSoft spray oil moisturiser is the best midge repellant I have found!

Heather

Last edited:

You can do either bridge or ferry, we done the trip 3 yrs ago, we took the ferry over from Mallaig to Armadale on Skye (one way trip and just for the experience), drove up to Portree had b&b there for 4 nights which gave us time to explore the island, we used the Skye bridge (no toll fees) to come back to the mainland.

A leisurely trip if you leave early enough from Skye visited Plockton for a hour then onto Applecross via the Pass of Cattle (google it) greatest ascent of any road climb in the UK apparently, Stunning scenery. We had lunch in the pub in Applecross on the beach road then the coast road round to Torridon. We had one night b&b in Here very friendly and clean evening meal and breakfast to die for and a stones throw from the waters edge. The right time of year will give stunning sunsets.

From there we moved onto Kinlochbervie as we have friends there, only one b&b there and quite expensive but not much else but its a good base. 40 mins up the road is Durness a pretty little village and more b&b's.

Cheers heather.. Sep might be OK then..

Frank.. invaluable stuff.. thank you :)

Exactly why asking on here is better than info websites and google.. real life experiences every time :)

It is a good idea to take midge repellent (either DEET based and/or Skin so Soft) in September. It depends on the weather but if it still good then there is a fair chance there will be midges and if so, they will find you.

Just seen you have fairly limited time and one thing to consider is that it is very easy to spend far too much time driving in Scotland - done it a few times in the past.

The distances are sometimes quite large, journey times longer than you'd think, there is often the desire to get a bit further and sometimes a particular road will commit you to a long distance.

Dave

You'll love NW scotland

15 years ago I had to drive to Ullapool in June with a truck part, at 1am it was still light enough to drive on sidelights

coming back in the daylight I was astounded how beautiful it was and that was just what I saw from the road

Ive always wanted to go back but my wife doesn't travel well in a car

I did look at the sleeper train you could drive your car on but 15 years ago it was £1000 return

they don't run it any more, no idea why :LOL:

I love Herefordshire. Places like Leominster, Hereford, Ross-On-Wye (check out Symonds Yat West). Then maybe then on to the Exmoor area.

Another vote for west Scotland. We have just come back from Mull - stunning scenery, amazing wildlife and not a midge in sight!

Northwest Scotland for sure, heading there for a week next month to Inveraray then Carbost on Skye!

Some good suggestions, but £50 a night ?

From when I've looked around, that price would be very limiting, afraid is bloody expensive for lodgings in the UK.

Some good suggestions, but £50 a night ?

A lot less in premier inns :) .. But midweek B&B ...average £50 what I can see...

Youth hostels are very good value if anyone needs to keep the cost down.

Well we have been looking at the 2nd week in september as thats the first opportunity wiht no jobs currently booked.. However my missus has been checking online and all the B&B are fully booked now for that time.. I am a bit suprised..

Am going to think about accomodation furthur away and use it as a launch pad for different days out around NW Scotland... Theres no real need to stay on the isle of sky i suppose.. if I can go there for the day I will see enough I would think..

Maybe worth getting an AA B&B book and just ringing round. Thats what I used to do when I went often. Get one for whole of UK and you can use it for years.

Maybe worth getting an AA B&B book and just ringing round. Thats what I used to do when I went often. Get one for whole of UK and you can use it for years.

Sometimes the old fashioned ways are best... rely too much on google nowerdays...ta :)

A lot less in premier inns :) .. But midweek B&B ...average £50 what I can see...

Got to admit I'm suprised there are many decent B+Bs for £50 for a twin/double room. Or do you mean £50 per person?

B+Bs used to be a cheap and cheerful alternative to hotels, but now they have mostly gone up market and are generally more expensive.

£50 is above average Id say(per person). Im hoping to book a reasonably posh one in september and its £45 for single occupancy.
In the frozen north I expect you could find some for £35/£40

Back