Drivers help after 'refresh your PC'

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
I hate my new PC and all because I opted for Windows 8.1 over 7, I just can't handle the change.

I bought 'Start8', you know, the software that puts back the Windows 7 start menu.
I installed it, but couldn't run it as it wanted me to register online (internet problems prevented me doing so).
So after getting sick of looking at the registration window, I uninstalled it.

On restarting my PC, it booted straight to the desktop and stayed there. The 'Tile/Metro' screen was missing. Task manager wouldn't open.
I managed to get into safe mode(?) and opted for ''Refresh your PC". It didn't sound too destructive but it was. My PC eventually restarted and everything was working.
In device manager, I noticed drivers were missing for my gfx card and probably everything else. I used the cds that came with my system to install my GTX drivers and soundcard drivers and all is well.

But I'm stuck now. There's another two cds in my box and I'm terrified of touching them - motherboard & SSD disks.
So my questions are - do I need to install these, are they straightforward, I don't need to go into Bios or anything do I?

And lastly my PC also has a built in card reader (USB3, SDHC etc..), there's no driver disk for this, will it work ok?

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

Is this a branded PC?

If so check out the makers web site. they should have all drivers available to download. Install them all. You can create a restore point as often as you like to be able to undo changes (google it if you don't know how).

Guess it is how you used to use windows 7 but to me the move to 8 was painless. That 'Tile/Metro' screen is the start menu of win 7 enlarged and with lots of 'quick launch' buttons. If you don't see the program you want just type the first couple of letters of its name eg type w then o and you'll have a link to start word.

Just run windows update when connected to the internet. It's very good at finding drivers for you. Sounds like your PC manufacturer has cocker up their restore WIM image as it should come with all drivers already installed so a refresh puts back to standard. If nothing is showing as not having drivers installed in device manager you should be good, though.

Well, not necessarily. Sometimes this may be true but by the time they've gone through certification and appeared on windows update you definitely know they're solid... Given op doesn't have any evidence of non installed drivers right now and isn't confident technically I think a safer bet is via WU..

Graphics drivers I've always found to be pretty flakey to be honest. And some network drivers. Some missing features that come with the manufacturer packs too.

Last edited:
Hi guys
Okay, I will try Windows update to see if that can help.
Now that the computer seems to be at least working - as far as I know, I will make a restore point before doing any changes.
I'm still a bit annoyed that the 'refresh your PC' option deleted everything including Kasperspy and a backup program called Acronis (both paid for).
Thanks for helping guys.

Neil, I didn't get to read the MS warnings as no internet at time of trouble, but my computer seems to be okay now :)

Back