Drone rules UK, do you need a licence [funny... (or maybe sad)]

No licence required unless filming for commercial purposes. I fly my Mavic Air without but stick to the general rules of not flying near people or too close to property especially airports.

If you want to use it for monetary gain then you need a CAA licence.

No licence needed. They keep threatening with registration, which I don't mind - as long as they only charge a fiver (the FAA in America charge $5 for registration).

Speaking of which, I have just registered my drone with the FAA ready for this years trip. $5 and now "covered" for 3 years

There is no such thing as a drone licence in the UK so you can't get one even if you wanted one.

What there is is a PFCO which is Permission For Commercial Operations.

If you want to make any money from image / video sales, you have to have one in place before you shoot.

Personally I think this is scandalous and is the reason I sold my drone setup recently.

No licence required unless filming for commercial purposes. I fly my Mavic Air without but stick to the general rules of not flying near people or too close to property especially airports.

If you want to use it for monetary gain then you need a CAA licence.

Depends where you are. E.g. Royal Parks have a designated area in Richmond Park where you can fly them, but nowhere else.

Don’t forget the height restriction of 400 feet and also must be in sight at all times.

No licence needed. They keep threatening with registration, which I don't mind - as long as they only charge a fiver (the FAA in America charge $5 for registration).

Speaking of which, I have just registered my drone with the FAA ready for this years trip. $5 and now "covered" for 3 years
Hi Mat,
yes, there is going to be a registration and a knowledge test next year in the UK.
I wonder it this will replace the PFCO

The new laws coming into force will include registration and a competency test, no way that will cost £5...

Hi Mat,
yes, there is going to be a registration and a knowledge test next year in the UK.
I wonder it this will replace the PFCO

I'd love to know exactly how they intend on policing it tbh. And what about hobbiests? Flying model planes etc is OK, strap a camera to it and the world goes bat-s***-crazy

The new laws coming into force will include registration and a competency test, no way that will cost £5...

As above, how will they police it? They struggle policing TV licences. Hell, people manage to drive without tax/mot/insurance for months on end.

As for what they'll charge, I am fully expecting to receive a right royal shafting... If they charge more than a fiver for registration they're taking the p***.

In fact, what does a fishing licence cost? Charge the same....

The government will simply see this as a new source of income.

Last edited:
Fishing licence is about £25.... (I think, I haven't fished for a couple of years). Plus you need a 2nd licence to fish the Thames.

I'd love to know exactly how they intend on policing it tbh. And what about hobbiests? Flying model planes etc is OK, strap a camera to it and the world goes bat-s***-crazy

As above, how will they police it? They struggle policing TV licences.

Not really, the compliance rate is pretty high. Also, unlike a TV you need to take your drone out in public to use it...

Hell, people manage to drive without tax/mot/insurance for months on end.

No, they don't really, not anymore.

As for what they'll charge, I am fully expecting to receive a right royal shafting... If they charge more than a fiver for registration they're taking the p***.

I think you could be right, though the licence might be cheapish, the competency test won't be, it'll probably be farmed out to a (profit making) private company to administer.

In fact, what does a fishing licence cost? Charge the same....

Is there a competency test for fishing licences?

The government will simply see this as a new source of income.

Quite likely, yes.

Dave get real !!

Oh yes they do! recent figures show at least 1 million uninsured drivers on our roads today!

Dave get real !!

Oh yes they do! recent figures show at least 1 million uninsured drivers on our roads today!

From your own link:

The number of police seizures of uninsured vehicles has risen by 4% over the last year, with 121,000 cars being seized in 2015 compared to 116,000 in 2014. Police have recorded 72,000 seizures so far this year*.

So, how are those people “managing to drive for months on end”?

The systems make it pretty hard to drive around for months on end unless the driver is really really lucky and somehow manages to avoid all the anpr cameras around these days (and also doesn’t have the car registered, read up on the continuous insurance enforcement scheme)

Under the CIE scheme, MIB and DVLA work in partnership to continuously identify uninsured vehicles by systematically comparing DVLA vehicle records against those held on the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

The registered keeper of a vehicle that appears to be uninsured will be sent an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL). This letter will advise them their vehicle appears to be uninsured and unless they take action they will receive a penalty from the DVLA.

Offenders face fines and seizure of their vehicles
If, after receiving an Insurance Advisory Letter (IAL), a registered keeper fails to comply with the advice set out in the letter they will face:

• A fixed penalty notice of £100
  • Their vehicle being clamped, seized and disposed of
  • A court prosecution and a maximum fine of £1000.
CIE measures are in addition to the powers the police already have to seize an uninsured vehicle being used on the road.
https://www.mib.org.uk/reducing-uninsured-driving/continuous-insurance-enforcement/

PS

You probably also need to calm down a little...

From your own link:

So, how are those people “managing to drive for months on end”?

The systems make it pretty hard to drive around for months on end unless the driver is really really lucky and somehow manages to avoid all the anpr cameras around these days (and also doesn’t have the car registered, read up on the continuous insurance enforcement scheme)

https://www.mib.org.uk/reducing-uninsured-driving/continuous-insurance-enforcement/

PS

You probably also need to calm down a little...

If I was very naughty I would think about cloning a legit car in the neighbourhood. That means no letters, fines, nothing. A very common black golf or corsa and I guess a dodgy mate in number plate factory... parked out of sight most of the time. You might as well fill up with red diesel. Maybe even a VIN fraud. Who knows? If caught one day they hope to outrun the copper. The worst is they get banned, and do the same all over again. Some time in a cell is pretty welcome by some in that community. Free lunch and all that. Just imagine this!
I am sure they have a fair few more tricks like that. There are even reports of fake police cars. Just like in any criminal activity they are bloody creative and diverse.

You don't have a mind of a real nasty criminal nor anyone like that in your family so you just can't think like them.

Then what about a legit way to run a few cars with red number plates?? No MOT, insurance or tax needed apparently. Just park them on private grounds and use as you please for "your motor trade business purposes".

[QUOTE="Dave1,

PS

You probably also need to calm down a little...[/QUOTE]

I'm perfectly calm most of the time, it's only smug d******ds like you that irritate me now and again, in the real world anyone (even knobs like you) can go and buy a cheap car for cash, false name and address and drive away, chances of getting caught? slim to zero! Police numbers are falling every day, they don't even investigate real crime let alone paltry motoring offences.

ANPR cameras? when was last time you were arrested or even pulled over by a camera? The answer is of course never, they can send you a "NIP" but where do they send it? to an address that doesn't exist? or a false one? The system is badly flawed and only works with those people that abide by it, for those that choose not to well they tend to get away with it more often than not, certainly more often that your willing to believe.

And now I'm off to take some more medication.

ANPR cameras? when was last time you were arrested or even pulled over by a camera?
many (most?) APNR cameras are inside police cars and they will certainly pull over any car in front of them that has no tax or no insurance.

many (most?) APNR cameras are inside police cars and they will certainly pull over any car in front of them that has no tax or no insurance.

Find me some figures to back that up, ie percentage of police cars with ANPR and then compare that with the percentage of cars on the road and then work out the odds, I suspect "winning the lottery / being struck by lightning" comes close.

You need it fella

Why would you say that? on what basis do YOU think I need medication? are you a doctor? No of course not, you in fact are the same as most of us who comment in forums, an uninformed knob, myself included.

Find me some figures to back that up, ie percentage of police cars with ANPR and then compare that with the percentage of cars on the road and then work out the odds, I suspect "winning the lottery / being struck by lightning" comes close.
I believe there are around 25-35 million reads a day, I think there are currently around 37million cars on the road. I'd hate to think the chance of being struck by lightning were that low, I'd never go out :)

Last edited:
Why would you say that? on what basis do YOU think I need medication? are you a doctor? No of course not, you in fact are the same as most of us who comment in forums, an uninformed knob, myself included.

Perhaps it had something to do with this, and yes I'm aware it was probably sarcasm as was my response. Y

And now I'm off to take some more medication.

Frankly you've earned your self awarded title, you posted an abusive and aggressive post to another member simply because you disagreed with what they were saying, well as the saying goes if the cap fits...

.......... an uninformed knob, myself included.

Last edited:
I believe there are around 25-35 million reads a day, I think there are currently around 37million cars on the road. I'd hate to think the chance of being struck by lightning were that low, I'd never go out :)

What you believe and what is accurate are probably two different things.

"ACPO told GC that the centre is currently taking data from 10,502 ANPR enabled cameras. Forces use their own equipment, but also take data from converted CCTV cameras run by local authorities. It added that the centre is currently recording 10m to 14m numberplates per day, although it has the capacity for 50m."

As I said "uninformed"

Perhaps it had something to do with this, and yes I'm aware it was probably sarcasm as was my response. Y

Frankly you've earned your self awarded title, you posted an abusive and aggressive post to another member simply because you disagreed with what they were saying, well as the saying goes if the cap fits...

Go back to my first post when all I said was "Dave get real" he responded by telling me to "calm down" which I took to be both patronising and insulting, as for aggression unless you can actually see someones facial expressions and or body language then you can only judge from what has been written.

"ACPO told GC that the centre is currently taking data from 10,502 ANPR enabled cameras. Forces use their own equipment, but also take data from converted CCTV cameras run by local authorities. It added that the centre is currently recording 10m to 14m numberplates per day, although it has the capacity for 50m."

As I said "uninformed"

Without a source that is not any more meaningful than my bit about police cars having ANPR cameras fitted. Also, your quote refers to a centre and would appear to be referring to static traffic cameras, not mobile car cameras.

As I said "uninformed"
You have a date for that quote, I've seen it too and I believe its from 2010.

This one is from 2015. You can bet its higher now

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-anpr-spy-cameras-now-6813428

Latest figures from the Home Office reveal that the system last year logged a total of 11billion reads from a network of 7,858 cameras

You have a date for that quote, I've seen it too and I believe its from 2010.

This one is from 2015. You can bet its higher now

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-anpr-spy-cameras-now-6813428

Latest figures from the Home Office reveal that the system last year logged a total of 11billion reads from a network of 7,858 cameras

Now you see that is a nice statistic but think about it for a few moments, in an earlier post you said that there are approximately 37 million vehicles on British roads (I think that was from 2017) so divide 11 billion by 37 million (297.297297) now if you live in London more than probable but if you live in a very rural area (I live on Dartmoor) it's probably very unlikely if not downright impossible.

The vast majority of ANPR cameras are either fixed position or in "Dedicated" vehicles and not in your run of the mill police car. So there are probably (and I can't say for sure because ACPO will not publish any figures) more cameras in London than there are in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset combined, and where they do exist they will be located around Exeter and Plymouth and one or two other built up area's and unless they are in a dedicated vehicle covering a specific area the chances of getting caught (remember where this thread started) are virtually nil.

So given what we have disseminated and discussed here what do you think are the chances of being arrested for using a drone irresponsibly or without a licence which doesn't actually exist yet if ever.

And just for good measure in case your not convinced by the Daily Mirror

http://www.npcc.police.uk/FreedomofInformation/ANPR.aspx

At present around 8500 ANPR cameras nationally, submit between 25 and 35 million ANPR ‘read’ records to the National ANPR Data Centre (NADC) daily

Perhaps you could ease up on the insults. You might get a better response to your posts

What makes you think that I want "a better response" don't you just love an argument? especially if you can trade the odd insult ;)

see I put a smiley there so that even you can see that it's intended to be humorous.

Go back to my first post when all I said was "Dave get real" he responded by telling me to "calm down" which I took to be both patronising and insulting, as for aggression unless you can actually see someones facial expressions and or body language then you can only judge from what has been written.

I was wrong when I said you need to calm down a little, you need to calm down a lot, sounds like you really do need the medication you mentioned you’re off to take...

:whistle:

I was wrong when I said you need to calm down a little, you need to calm down a lot, sounds like you really do need the medication you mentioned you’re off to take...

:whistle:

And I wasn't wrong, you are a knob (y)

Enough of the insults guy's play nice or leave the thread.
If you can't do that, I can help ( with leaving the thread) (y)

Back