Drones for a Newbie: Karma or Mavic Pro?

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Right then, I'm on the lookout for my first ever drone.

As a youngster, I've had rc helicopters, cars and voats etc...but never owned a drone.

I looked at phantom 3 a while back, then phantom 4.

Then (as I already have gopro hero 4 black) I swayed my interest towards the karma. Now though, I'm hovering over the buy it now option on wexphotographic at the mavic pro!

£1,275 with everything needed inc spare props/gimble cover and 2 spare batteries etc.

I'm in a predicament.

Mavic or karma?

Karma is swaying me, because I can use my go pro with it, it has the included gimble and looks well built

Mavic is also swaying me, because of the tracking mode option, the flying radius it can acheive and the size of it.

I have the cash waiting to buy one on rrlease date, but really undecided.

anyone in the same boat as me?

I'm in a slightly less skilled, less expensive boat. I fancy my first ever drone too but my only experience driving/flying anything was when I managed to lose my son's rc helicopter in next door's tree perhaps two hours after he opening it on his birthday. Any my budget is limited so I am considering a used phantom 3. From a position of no knowledge I would say that the Mavic looks very nice.

Last edited:
my only experience driving/flying anything was when I managed to lose my son's rc helicopter in next door's tree.

Whoops! I flew one of mine into water when I was younger, which fried all the internals

I think I'm swayed more towards the mavic, but don't want to shell out all that cash if these new laws are going to stop me flying it

I'm in a slightly less skilled, less expensive boat. I fancy my first ever drone too but my only experience driving/flying anything was when I managed to lose my son's rc helicopter in next door's tree perhaps two hours after he opening it on his birthday. Any my budget is limited so I am considering a used phantom 3. From a position of no knowledge I would say that the Magic looks very nice.
These more sophisticated higher spec drones are infinitely easier to fly.
Practically anyone can feel pretty safe and confident after 2 or 3 flights.

The Mavic beats the Karma on almost every way, if the price difference hurts consider the drone + one spare battery and get another battery later when prices drop a bit.
I find two batteries is often enough with Phantom 3.
I'm not sure the gopro is all that good as an aerial camera - the DJI has no fish-eye and is very close to gopro in other areas - better in some, for example it takes DNG RAW stills.
I'd be nervous to send out my relatively expensive Hero4 on a wifi based drone with limited range..

A lot are selling P3 and P4 with low hours to get the Mavic.
If you don't mind being one or two generations behind - but still very competent devices - this is a good option.

These more sophisticated higher spec drones are infinitely easier to fly.
Practically anyone can feel pretty safe and confident after 2 or 3 flights.

The Mavic beats the Karma on almost every way, if the price difference hurts consider the drone + one spare battery and get another battery later when prices drop a bit.
I find two batteries is often enough with Phantom 3.
I'm not sure the gopro is all that good as an aerial camera - the DJI has no fish-eye and is very close to gopro in other areas - better in some, for example it takes DNG RAW stills.
I'd be nervous to send out my relatively expensive Hero4 on a wifi based drone with limited range..

A lot are selling P3 and P4 with low hours to get the Mavic.
If you don't mind being one or two generations behind - but still very competent devices - this is a good option.

In the name of fairness it should be pointed out that GoPro Studio will remove the fish-eye and in terms of video quality, the GoPro produces better results than the cameras on the DJI drones (bar the Zenmuse X5 camera).

The Mavic Pro has sensors and a lot more technology that should make it easier to fly, the GoPro is a more complete package IMO with the controller with screen built in, and the fact the gimbal is removable and the camera can be used for other things.

I haven't yet seen any comparisons of Mavic Pro vs Hero 5 Black for image quality, but the narrow field of view on the Mavic is definitely preferable.

The Mavic Pro has sensors and a lot more technology that should make it easier to fly, the GoPro is a more complete package IMO with the controller with screen built in, and the fact the gimbal is removable and the camera can be used for other things.

I haven't yet seen any comparisons of Mavic Pro vs Hero 5 Black for image quality, but the narrow field of view on the Mavic is definitely preferable.

GoPro Hero 5 Black has SuperView, Wide, Medium, Linear, Narrow to choose from.

i have looked at the Mavic, as a possible upgrade to my Walkera QR 350 Pro quad, purely on the reduced size and what i have seen so far in hands on tests

GoPro are new to the quad game, DJI and very very experienced and in my view that counts for hell of a lot when it comes to buying something.

Myself, I think I am going to wait a while, see what user tests come about after hands on testing by Joe Public and possibly see what DJI Mavic 2 has to offer when they improve any gremlins (and gives time to put some pennies to one side too)

By sacrificing quality though.

I don't think so.

On my 5K iMac I can see a clear difference in quality in the video quality when comparing my Hero 4 Black and both of my Zenmuse X3 cameras. So, I am actually speaking from experience.

Last edited:
Correcting lens distortion will crop significantly from the outside.
I agree Hero4 (and 5 presumably) is better in some situations but possibly not on an aerial platform.

The Mavic seems to have noticeably better low light performance than P4, otherwise quite similar except it has the ability to focus much closer and you can do arty live changes in focus point into a scene.
That's not possible with gopro either but not sure how often it will get used.
I think when more capable users get their hands on Mavic the results will end any discussion as to which is best of these two for most of us.

I would go with the Mavic, owned a phantom 3 advanced and absolutely loved it

I don't understand why they cant put a smart phone sensor in them like one in the samsung S7 even.

I just sold my Inspire 1, and have ordered the Mavic. Guess I will have to be patient now.

Back