Drones

I saw this the other day. The first thing that stood out about those photos is that with the exception of three of them, they all break the laws about being over groups of people or within certain distances of buildings! Here's me worrying all the time, I'll get a knock on the door if a photo I take has strayed too close to something, then lo and behold, the BBC post a load of photos clearly flaunting the law!

*grumble*

Some interesting images, but on the whole, it's "here's a shot of XYZ famous place taken with a drone".

I saw this the other day. The first thing that stood out about those photos is that with the exception of three of them, they all break the laws about being over groups of people or within certain distances of buildings! Here's me worrying all the time, I'll get a knock on the door if a photo I take has strayed too close to something, then lo and behold, the BBC post a load of photos clearly flaunting the law!

*grumble*

They are taken all over the world (I'm going to guess Pakistan, Peru and Iceland, have differing laws on aerial photography), and I presume you have no idea under what circumstances - ie what permits and permissions may have been in place. Just a thought.

*grumble*

Ah! but they were all taken in foreign climes so at least they haven't broken British law.

I had a novel experience at Prescott Hill Climb back in October when the red flags came out to stop proceedings when somebody decided to launch a drone, clearly unaware of any restrictions that might exist. I recall thinking 'that's a sign of the times'.

For me the costs and difficulties of actually using a drone to take pictures are way out of my budget or inclinations:)

*grumble*
i think you will find different countries have different laws...UK is hardly the judicial birth place

For me the costs and difficulties of actually using a drone to take pictures are way out of my budget or inclinations:)
looking at some of the pictures, they are taken from quite a height and distance. I can only imagine they strapped the camera on the drones and then just let it loose and set the camera on interval shots. Hit & Miss as opposed to anything deliberate.

then again they may have some funky wireless communication kit that allows them to control the camera from a long distance, which would be highly cost prohibitive.

Last edited:
Not really. DJI UAVs have HD and now 4k cameras. You can use your iPhone as a live FPV, as I do with mine. They have a huge range too, and further if you use boosters.

Back