Dropbox & colour management

Name
Holly
Edit My Images
No
Hello, had a look through the forum but cant find anything relating to this so hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject!

I use Dropbox to send large photo files and have noticed that the colours appear wrong compared to the original file when viewing them through the websites preview. However when downloading the file the colours look normal/how they should be. I've only really noticed it today and it's not a problem as they're fine when downloaded, so just wondered if anyone else has experienced this as the photos look perfectly fine when uploaded to other websites in the web browser.

I have saved the photos in the correct colour space so I know it's nothing to do with that.

I use DropBox. The images I send are in sRGB. They look fine in the web browser ( Firefox). Usually the client doesn't view them in the browser, just downloads them straight to their system.

Dropbox will make no changes to the file, so whatever colour profile you embedded it with will be retained.

If they are viewing wrong when viewing them actually in Dropbox, then they are probably not embedded with sRGB.

Definitely in srgb colour space, when downloaded it looks fine just via the websites preview it looks off. I'm using Internet explorer if that makes any difference?

Drop box will have a resized version to show you on the web. Done badly this can mess with colours, but more likely it's probably just a result of compression.

It's worth trying another browser, mind.

I'm finding that the red colours have been affected the most, instead of bright magenta colours i'm seeing desaturated oranges. Windows picture viewer, lightroom, and photoshop are all showing the image correctly. I have uploaded to both flickr and facebook to see how they appear and im getting the same problem. Can only think its IE that's causing the problem but I've never really had problems with other edited photos before.

Here's the link to the photo on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollycardphotography/11933738616/

Thanks

Ok I've just downloaded Firefox and the image appears correctly!

I'm still confused why Internet Explorer is messing with the colours though?

ill have a look at it again tomorrow. colour profile was saved as srgb though. so not quite sure what's gone wrong. i edited in lightroom n exported as srgb then edited in photoshop and saved jpeg as srgb.

looking at this on a PC (firefox) and I can see the exif now. it still looks all over the shop and it does say sRGB in the exif.

it does look the same in IE9 and FF though. presumably its supposed to have a red tinge all over it?

Thanks for having a further look. Yes the red and blue colouring is intentional, I'm just seeing the colours in IE 11 as not as vibrant/saturated as they should be, particularly the reds seem to be quite desaturated.

That's strange as I noticed a difference from FF to IE, my screen's calibrated too.

Don't understand what's happening, it's quite annoying really. Never had this problem before but I wonder if it has something to do with the colours clipping or something along those lines as the photo has had loads of post processing done.

Can anyone else shed some light on what's happening? Why the colours are looking significantly different in Internet Explorer to Windows Picture Viewer/Lightroom/Photoshop when it has been saved as sRGB?

Note: I have uploaded to flickr in both Tiff and jpeg to see if it was to do with the compression but both appear the same.

Last edited:
Decided this is now to do with IE11 and not the actual photo. I have compared photos on my flickr to those on lightroom/laptop and IE seems to be desaturating all the reds, never noticed this before now surprisingly. Firefox is showing all photos correctly in terms of colour.

Now I guess I'm looking for the answer as to why is IE doing this? I'm pretty sure they always looked ok on other previous IE versions...yet I never really compared them. Does anyone else have this issue with Internet Explorer?

bit of an old (and misleading, never work in sRGB for goodness sake?) article in places however. mentions nothing newer than IE9 and as far as im aware colour profile management was bought in with newer versions.

Back