Dropped my rollei 35 B..

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
..Down the stairs...so many bounces :|...Anyone have any experience repairing these here? The lens wont extend anymore and the shutter speed control doesn't feel right.

I think it would've survived the fall if the lens was extended as the mechanical bits would've all been linked and not separated.

Will post up some photo's when I'm home from college this afternoon.

Oh dear - that's a sickener! :(

Can't help with any tips, but these people do Rollei repairs if it comes to the worst...

CLICK

..Down the stairs...so many bounces :|...Anyone have any experience repairing these here? The lens wont extend anymore and the shutter speed control doesn't feel right.

I think it would've survived the fall if the lens was extended as the mechanical bits would've all been linked and not separated.

Will post up some photo's when I'm home from college this afternoon.

I just picked up my Rollei 35 from Clock Tower Cameras in Brighton this weekend. My wife dropped it a few years ago and broke the film transport mechanism, but they seem to have fixed it - I say seem because I haven't put a film through it yet, but it all seems in order. Cost just short of £70.

Clock Tower had one for sale in the shop exactly the same as mine for £185, by the way. Over-priced of course, but it shows the interest that still exists in these cameras.

Look in the back and you will see a small brass cam that needs to run in a track to let the lens pull out - actuated by the front button so a poke of that will hopefully move the cam so you can see which I am talking about. I have known several instances where this cam has slipped out of the track locking the lens shut. Might be worth a look ...

Thanks for the helpful replies!
After prodding at the inside bits I managed to move the bits blocking the lens from extracting with a paperclip, wiggle the lens a bit (with some force!) and once I got the lens fully out it now works absolutely fine, though it sounds a little unhealthy!

I had a close call with this one but I'm surprised it survived albeit after some fiddling.
The drop didn't fix the non functioning exposure counter though! Any idea which bits to prod to fix that !?

I think I have one of those in my glory hole, does the end of the winder lever bend over the edge of the camera ?

You can have it if I still have it, can't vouch for the condition though.
Let me know if you want it because I ain't going in that glory hole without a big dog and a good reason...:)

Yeah the lever bends at 90deg over the camera back. Not sure I understand the rest of your post though ! If your offering me your camera then Id accept! This ones got many quirks now(no frame counter, no release catch to open the back(lovingly replaced by the previous owner by a wing nut and some associated bits of metal!), and hence no tripod mount!), and I imagine this fall will add some more!

Last edited:
If your offering me your camera then Id accept!

right, I'll have a root for it tomorrow then.....with the Doberman......and 12 bore.
dangerous places to be are glory holes, you never know what pointless pile of junk might catch your eye and force you to waste time on it.

Hah! Thank you John, The camera's been really useful for street photography, which I've really taken a liking to lately!

John, you're idea of a glory hole and mine are obviously very different;)

Don't google for my term while you're at work to find out though!

I'm aware of both meanings, can't usually get em mixed up when talking about camera bits but hey, what goes on at home behind closed doors is nobody's else's business...;)

Anyway, best get me an address, I've found it, and I gotta say its a cute little thing, its just as well I can't figure out how to use it..

The camera arrived today John, I can't thank you enough!
It came with the lens jammed, but that was quickly sorted after my experience with my dropped one.
Its in immaculate condition! I now have a proper release for the back, a tripod mount and a working frame counter!!

The whole thing also feels a bit more tight and solid than mine which feels very sloppy in use.
From what I can tell all the shutter-speeds seem to be working fine, I chucked in a half shot roll of 800Z so will give the camera a test with the remainder of that roll and post the results here once I get it processed!

The camera arrived today John, I can't thank you enough!
It came with the lens jammed, but that was quickly sorted after my experience with my dropped one.
Its in immaculate condition! I now have a proper release for the back, a tripod mount and a working frame counter!!

The whole thing also feels a bit more tight and solid than mine which feels very sloppy in use.
From what I can tell all the shutter-speeds seem to be working fine, I chucked in a half shot roll of 800Z so will give the camera a test with the remainder of that roll and post the results here once I get it processed!

Oh coolz, I'm so glad it works, I knew I was doing something wrong but I couldn't figure out what.
Even the meter works, and if you can work out how slow it is (it looked slow to me) you could still use it..(y)

I always used the meter on my other one as a rough guide and guestimated a bit anyway its always a bit hit and miss when its not TTL. I imagine it will be fine for using print films and b+w so long as i dont try shooting some Velvia!

Just put the meter readings for my computer screen into the 450D and it seems spot on however! ( about 1/3rd stop more exposed than the digital reading but looks more accurate to me)More tests to follow :D

Back