1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Okay Guest, it's coming up to the festive season. If you'd like to take part in this year's Secret Santa gift exchange, click the link below and speak to our resident Jolly Red Guy.

Dismiss Notice
  1. realspeed

realspeed

Name:
    Bazza
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Yes first time I have dropped a camera The top view screen on my Nikon D800 smashed in but luckily the AFS 80-400 lens was saved by the hood which split but superglue to the rescue

. I was tryng to fit it onto a tripod but was not in the clamp properly. Ok should have double checked i know but the lighting in my room is so bad with one of these terrible new fangled useless lightbulbs I didn't see properly. Now changed it to a proper light bulb

At least the camera is insured with £100 excess on the policy so at least got that covered.

Looks like taking it to a local company fror repair called Camserve which appear to have a good reputation. has anyone had any dealings with them???

http://www.camserve.co.uk/index.html

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. johnf3f

johnf3f

Name:
    john
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Can't help here but I feel your pain = OUCH!

3. gremlin16

gremlin16

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Bad luck chap.

4. realspeed

realspeed

Name:
    Bazza
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just got an email saying the new Nikon D810 I ordered on Friday last is on its way. Yes" er indoors" reluctently agreed to me getting one. She hates spending even a quid if she can help it. Ok it is a grey import, yes I know all about the pitfalls but at over £1,000 cheaper than some authorized retailers ???? talk about a ripoff

Still not heard from the insurance company about what they intend to do about my damaged D800. They do everything by snail mail so might be a long weight. I have rung them to confirm they received the claim form and inclosed photos of the damaged part, and the have got it so my part has been done..
    Got email pm today saying they have forwarded to claim to adjusters

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM
  5. realspeed

realspeed

Name:
    Bazza
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Update

had a phone call from insurers and they are arranging for the camera to be collected tomorrow . Having seen photos of the damage they think, I say hopefull, it is repairable, but have to wait a report from their people. Out of interest they did say I could get a local estimate as an alternative but I decided it was better to let their people look at it. That way I can't be accused of upping the bill and make a fraudent claim. If making a genuine claim one has to be absolutely honest from the outset or one could land in deep trouble

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM
  6. realspeed

realspeed

Name:
    Bazza
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Just had a phone call and my camera is repairable.
    top screen and display replace and focus realigned. Also top casing to be replaced as well

7. Scirocco_09

Scirocco_09

Edit My Images:
    No
    The D800 series are all sturdy cameras, it would be interesting to know what the cost of repair is. I'm at a loss to see how submitting a genuine quote would land you in trouble though, I presume you'd get a written quote which you'd submit to your insurer and which could validated by the repairer?

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Cynthia

Name:
    Ingrid
    Edit My Images:
    No

Get a new hood, they are relatively cheap compared to the price of the lens, if you drop it again superglue will weaken the hood
    and it may not survive

9. realspeed

realspeed

Name:
    Bazza
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Found one someone was selling on the famous auction siteHe had done exactly the same as me but he had damaged the lens so got a replacement but the hood was ok, so he had a spare. So I have one one the way

Gremlin likes this.