Dropping your camera

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive no idea how I managed it but a few weeks ago I dropped my 400d onto tarmac aswell :eek: From about waist hight, it now has a dent right on the corner bottom left corner, and my tripod mount is scuffed up abit.

Gutted, but checking it over all seems ok. Iam just posting to see of anyone else has been has stupid as me or in fact dropped the same camera and are there any signs to look out for incase its damaged inside somehow?

be very careful
trying to take a picture may make it worse
probably worth getting it checked over by a pro 1st

be very careful
trying to take a picture may make it worse
probably worth getting it checked over by a pro 1st

Hmmm, well ive used it a few times already. By pro do you mean take it to a shop for someone to check it over?

My Panny FZ50 blew over in the wind once whilst attached to a tripod.

Both survived virtually unmarked.

Miraculously.

Hmmm, well ive used it a few times already. By pro do you mean take it to a shop for someone to check it over?

well I did but if you've used it and it's ok - then it probably is!

well I did but if you've used it and it's ok - then it probably is!

Yeah iam kinda thinking as all seems well and good. Iam just after some reassurance really :D

Dropped my 5d with 17-40L attached... flew off from around my neck, bounced down slipway onto rocks below. My pictures still come out just as crap as they did before! :bang:

Camera and lens now both dented and scratched!

lucky escape....how tall are you lol

I had it held quite lot below my waist actually, the bottom of the 70-300 was probably touching my knee

Took camera bag out of car boot.. threw it over my shoulder.. hadn't zipped it...

camera and lens flew through the air and hit the road... camera bounced.. lens smashed off... lens needed to go to sigma to ahve a new camera end put on for 70 quid...

camera a 1dmkII after bouncing a couple of times from being as good as thrown.... hardly a mark and it didnt make the slightest differnce... what a camera! :)

I treat all my stuff so well I could sell it as new after 18 months!

BUT last week I had my D200 fitted with probably my most expensive (and certainly heaviest) lens, the AF-S 105mm f/2.8 G IF-ED sat on my ***py cheap tripod doing some macro stuff. I had to pull one of the PCs out to add another hard drive so I'm sat on the floor with the PC out and had to put it on its side so I slid backwards on the floor...... straight into the tripod which I felt falling forwards. I turned round and watched the tripod fall and hit a table then the camera became detached from the tripod and fell off onto the table then the floor (with no lens cap on!).

Luckily no damage to absolutely anything at all !!!!! :woot::woot::woot::woot:

One reason for buying the better body :)

Ive no idea how I managed it but a few weeks ago I dropped my 400d onto tarmac aswell :eek: From about waist hight, it now has a dent right on the corner bottom left corner, and my tripod mount is scuffed up abit.

Gutted, but checking it over all seems ok. Iam just posting to see of anyone else has been has stupid as me or in fact dropped the same camera and are there any signs to look out for incase its damaged inside somehow?

You'll spend a long time wondering if it is about to go wrong on you.
Best of luck.

Did the same thing last year with my 400D also had the 580ex attached as well which is why my heart stopped for a moment, luckily it was on grass, but still a bit of a bump. Couldnt find any problems with it though, my pictures are still turning out blurred :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I had my D200 in the bag one day and I didn't realise that the bag wasn't shut properly, and stupidly was swinging the bag about with gay abandon only to see my camera fly out of the bag, hit the concrete car park with a sickening thud and the lens to detatch from the camera.

It was like one of these slow motion moments when you dive for the camera shouting "Noooooooooooooo!" Luckily the repair wasn't too expensive but that taught me a valable lesson!

My D3 fell off the back of my 600 a while back on to a concrete carpark floor! My heart sank, and the first shot I took on the camera came out black with FEE (I think from memory, it was the error for a shutter problem whatever it was) showing in the viewfinder. Panic set in, I took another shot and it was fine and has been ever since...touch wood!

I slid in mud at a rugby match and a D3 landed in the mud. Vertical shutter didn't work and lens wouldn't AF if V shutter button turned on. Used it for the match in horizontal only - took a few days for the mud to dry out and I kept gently cleaning it - good as new now. It can happen so easily!

I was working in a studio last summer, a colleague was just finishing a shoot and had put a 400D with Sigma 24-70 2.8 on this tripod thingy we had...but didn't secure it on...lo and behold we heard a loud bang and it'd fell from 6ft onto a rather hard floor. It still worked, but the pop up flash was kaput! Not that it was used in studio anyway....but not bad for an entry level dSLR!

I would imagine every single dropped camera is different. Pure luck if you get away with it or not. The odd scuff mark is nothing and I'm glad it looks as thought you've got away with it!

cheers
Bill

I dropped my camera bag off my suitcase (while suffering jetlag)and it hit the floor. My 40D Canon would not focus properly and I presumed it was KOed. Bought a 50D to replace it then found that the 40D was fine. When it fell by some quirke of fate it had shifted the AF point to the left. Because I was so jet lagged I didn't think of this and now I have a 50D as well. Apart from spending the money I was saving for glass it wasn't such a bad outcome as I love the 50D and the 40D is a good back up. I will now have to sell my 20D as it's surplus to requirements.

here's to Happy endings.

Watched my 30D, 70-200mm and my 430 bounce, **** happens, but never more than once.

I'm not too anal, my gear is for work, but dropping it again is now not an option.

I didn't drop the camera, but I dropped the 55-250 lens from about the same height onto the kitchen floor. After it had bounced once and settled, all seems fine, not a mark on it and it's working perfectly.

just found my cat knocked my d70 with a 300 f2.8 attached off my sofa. unsurprisingly it tore the front of the camera off. better call the insurance.

just found my cat knocked my d70 with a 300 f2.8 attached off my sofa. unsurprisingly it tore the front of the camera off. better call the insurance.

Not the best start to the day...

That all depends. What is the CURRENT alternative to a D70........ D90? New for old insurance! Could be worse.

Back