Drowned drone - "new" replacement with old serial number

He was clearly referring to the 14 day change of mind which exists under consumer contract regs, still commonly referred to as distance selling even by some businesses.

Do the regulations mentioned still apply, in the same way, in regard to an 'agreed to'(?) replacement???

Do the regulations mentioned still apply, in the same way, in regard to an 'agreed to'(?) replacement???

Not 100% sure to be honest but money has been paid and it was sold either online or over the phone and technically is the purchase of a new product (I'd imagine some sort of invoice was supplied', therefore I'd hazard a guess that it applies.

Not 100% sure to be honest but money has been paid and it was sold either online or over the phone and technically is the purchase of a new product (I'd imagine some sort of invoice was supplied', therefore I'd hazard a guess that it applies.

Thats my understanding too. And yes the name is different but the regs. are basically the same.

sorry that's simply not the case, DJI log your flights through the app after you login, it would make more than enough sense for them to transfer your original serial number to a replacement craft to maintain this traceability, from DJI support forum "the only time that the SN would be replaced for the aircraft itself is when there is a change to the main controller"

Don't DJI register DJI refresh against the serial number? I remember people having trouble getting it transferred onto replacement drones previously. Also the serial number will be increasingly required to register the drone with the country so by providing a replacement drone with the same serial number it means it doesn't have to be re-registered as a new drone.

I've not been through the DJI repair service myself but spend a fair bit of time on the drone forums and DJI appear to consistently supply refurbed drones instead of repairing the original one.

The DJI staff on the official DJI forum are usually much more helpful than the standard DJI CS staff so I'd recommend posting there if you haven't already.

Last edited:
I'm fairly comfortable that both UK and EU consumer protections cover me, as does Section 75 on my CC, so I *should* ultimately be OK.

Whatever way I look at it, I paid for what I was told would be a new aircraft so shouldn't matter if it was a replacement - I paid €350 for which I thought I'd be getting a full Spark package with new battery and accessories at a 15% discount - seems about the right price for what's now a discontinued drone. I got what looks like it could be my old aircraft in the original box, and my battery has vanished somewhere. Actually, whether it is a new aircraft with the old serial or a new aircraft doesn't really affect my rights - I didn't get what I expected and paid for. But I do find it odd that any company would transfer an old serial number to a new product, replacing the serial it would have been given at manufacture, and seriously complicating their ability to track their products. I've tried many ways to resolve this with DJI, but ultimately it came down to asking for a refund, and they've refused so far.

I *should* be able to return that for a full refund under distance selling regs as not what I expected. I'll give them one last pop at resolving this, but I've submitted a Section 75 dispute with the credit card company anyway (but that won't start until 14 days from purchase has completed).

OK, I'm coming back to this one....

DJI seem to have come through after their escalation department got hold of a tweet I'd sent (not even sent to, or tagged to them! I also don't have many twitter followers)

They've offered me a free upgrade to a Mavic Air

I'd asked about a Mavic 2 Pro upgrade, as this was what I was always aiming for with my next drone and didn't see the point in going back to the Spark if I didn't need to. They've offered it for £740 + the money I've paid - so just over £1000. That sounds like a half decent deal.

What would you go for?

You certainly wont be disappointed with the MP2.

I went from the Air I lost in a fire to the MP2 and although not got much flight time the video and photographs are just superb.

Take the air, sell it and then wait for Black Friday. You’ll pay a lot less than an additional £740 in my opinion

Yeh, you might be right here - the free Air is probably worth more than the discounted Mavic 2, though in terms of selling things, I have a terrible track history (looking at the amount of stuff in my attic!). I'd maybe get £450 on eBay if I was lucky :/ difficult choice...

Update: Actually, having just looked at their Black Friday deals from last year, the best they were offering was $100 (I'm assuming £ too?) off. Could be some better deals this year looking at rumour sites, but not sure they'd be any better than what they've offered :/

Last edited:
I had the original Mavic 1 Pro and upgraded to the Mavic 2 Pro for the 1in sensor as the lack of any exposure latitude on the Mavic 1 was frustrating given many scenes had a wide dynamic range. Although I find the image quality is not as good as a Sony RX100 series (the M2P seems quite soft and noisy in comparison) I'm still very pleased with the upgrade as I find the panoramas it can take are superb, this is an example of what you can pull back:

MavicPro2_Compared-X2.png

Are they possibly doing this to save people needing to re-register their drones with the CAA after each repair?

Are they possibly doing this to save people needing to re-register their drones with the CAA after each repair?
More likely the FCC where there biggest market is.
anyone with DJI products should definitely join their official Facebook page they are far more helpful on there than directly.

Back