Drummer with backlit flour cloud

Photodiva

Foot elevated on the stool
Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I've got a mate with a band who wants some pics. One idea is that moody drummer shot with the clouds of flour, and I can remember a chap I used to work with had someone do that for him. Any hints about the best way to achieve it? I've got 2 flashheads and softboxes, or alternatively 3 speedlights and brollies, soft box that could be used. Anyone willing to share?

A fog machine might give similar results with less mess & less risk of explosion. Or maybe use water spray?

The main thing is to light the cloud from behind, and try to ensure it mainly stays behind the subject.

Then control your key light carefully so it only illuminates the subject, not the cloud.

Grids, flags and snoots are all useful, but remember that you can control things with light-subject distance too.

One thing to bear in mind is that a cloud of flour is actually explosive. Easy enough to get a cloud of something with a blast of compressed air into a suitable container to launch it, just needs some experimentation.

Sounds good, how about slowing the shutter a bit to get a sense of movement too - second curtain synch with reasonable ambient light or continuous light?

Hi. Thanks for the info. In the end, the venue was a basement of a music shop way too small to muck about with flour, barely enough room to put the lights up and get the drummer in. Anyhow, the flour will come in useful! I like the idea of baby powder, but hate the smell of it! The group is an Arctic Monkeys tribute act (I've heard of them, but that's it). So they wanted to recreate some of the real group's publicity pics. That was enough challenge in such a small space.

Back