1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Photodiva

Photodiva Foot elevated on the stool

Name:
    Carol
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi. I've got a mate with a band who wants some pics. One idea is that moody drummer shot with the clouds of flour, and I can remember a chap I used to work with had someone do that for him. Any hints about the best way to achieve it? I've got 2 flashheads and softboxes, or alternatively 3 speedlights and brollies, soft box that could be used. Anyone willing to share?

2. juggler

juggler

Name:
    Simon
    Edit My Images:
    No
    A fog machine might give similar results with less mess & less risk of explosion. Or maybe use water spray?

The main thing is to light the cloud from behind, and try to ensure it mainly stays behind the subject.

Then control your key light carefully so it only illuminates the subject, not the cloud.

Grids, flags and snoots are all useful, but remember that you can control things with light-subject distance too.

cargo likes this.
  3. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    No
    One thing to bear in mind is that a cloud of flour is actually explosive. Easy enough to get a cloud of something with a blast of compressed air into a suitable container to launch it, just needs some experimentation.

4. nickdancona

nickdancona

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I would use baby powder and not flour. It hangs in the air much better.

Graham W likes this.