DSLR Advice Needed

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I have been doing photography on and off for 8 years (Although I handled cameras from the age of around 7).

I started with a Practica film slr, then a Nikon F60 and completed an A Level, getting a B.

Afterwards, I lost interest for a time (this happens frequently as I tend to switch between obsessional interests -I have aspergers syndrome) but then I got the urge to try a digital slr and saved and got a Nikon D200.

To cut a long story short, I found it too heavy to control in ways. It was an effort to get my shots (even though I am a 5'10 female) and I hit financial issues so I sold it with the 2 lenses from my old nikon f60.

Thus, now I am starting anew. I Focus mainly on portraiture, macro, landscape and architectural photography... nothing sporting or especially fast moving. I like being able to work fully manual but having the option to do auto if I am in a lazy mood or lacking time. I need something that wont be TOO heavy to carry on a mostly daily basis.

My mother ordered a Nikon D60 for me with 2 lenses....but I am thinking it is going to be too small and far too much a beginners camera for me, plus reviews were not that great.

So now, I am stuck and confused. I originally was drawn to the Olympus E510 as it feels great in my hands, and seems to have a lot of features, but the lenses cost a bomb and apparently, it is rubbish at higher ISO?

I also have begun to be drawn to the Canon 40D in terms of build and appearance (Build quality is very important to me, I hate the plasticky look of some cameras).

The Nikon D80 has also been an option, but it is outdated now (apparently)

The Pentax K20D has also drawn me, and I hear the Sony A300 is a great camera.

Eventually, I will want to maybe try again with a heavier and more pro body, like the D300 or the Canon 5d, but for now I want something inbetween that will produce professional results and give me the best parameters...and I am not that learned in Photoshop etc, so ideally need something that won't need masses of messing about with.

Can I have some objective views please and suggestions as to what to get for the time being while I save up?

you seem to know what your looking for in terms of weight and size, have a feel in a camera shop and you should be able to cut the list down to 2 or 3 cameras. then you will be able to get a lot more accurate answers. unfortunately everyone has picked a system (canon, nikon, olympus) and although they wont badmouth the competition, most wont have made much effort to try other systems.

Any of the makes Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony or Pentax will do what you want.

However it would help your purse if you can decide on a brand as you won't have to sell any lenses when you upgrade the body, which you wold have to do if you changed brands in the future.

As has been said find a local shop and go get touchy feely with the bodies.

Oh and welcome:)

I think, that as you have experience handling an SLR, you need to "go play" in one of your local shops. The one thing I would say is that the 40D is quite heavy. It's a lot heavier than my 350D.

The new Olympus range looks good, and the Canon 450D may offer that mix of right size & weight with enough features for you. I can't comment on Nikons as I don't know that much about them.

But, as many have said. Go and get them in your hands and see what you like the feel of.

Steve

Back