DSLR backpack for cycling

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
So the title says it all really. I'm looking for a backpack that I can use while cycling that will carry a Nikon d90 plus 2 lenses. Anyone else use anything like this. Had a look at a couple but would just like to know if anyone has first had experience cycling with a camera.

I know there is a risk of damage if I were to crash or fall, however I'm sure that camera damage would be the least of my worries if an accident were to occur.

Thanks for the help.

Ross

Have you looked at a slingshot type, which you could swing forward to gain easy access while sat on your bike & maybe even ride with it in front of you for security if needed?
eg; http://www.wilkinson.co.uk/lowepro-slingshot-202-aw.html
There is also a smaller 102 & a larger 302.

The slingshot 150 was on my list yea. I cycle a lot but never with a single strap backpack. Was thinking there may be stability issues.

It still sits in the middle of your back rather than at one side, so don't think stability will be an issue. I have the 302 & it's a pretty wide comfortable strap. It also has an adjustable `waist` stability strap & buckle, if needed. (I don't cycle btw)

Lowepro urban sling 250......nice padded back, slips round from back to side quite easily, has stabilising straps to bring round your waist.

...don't know if it's a current model available. Had mine a couple of years and it seemed in short supply when I bought it.

I would have said it's personal choice to how they feel on you - personally, I would probably opt for something that was slim and small factor and has a waist strap so you can secure it more - last thing I would want is a large backpack hats moving around...

Do you currently have a backpack you use for cycling ? I presume if you do it's comfy ? What about about using this or if you don't, what about a normal slim backpack and putting your camera and lenses in this, using a lens case / camera case to add the protection ?

Lowepro make a sports oriented backpack, I can't recall the model at the moment. I've owned a Slingshot and wouldn't recommend it for cycling.

Have a look at the lowepro inverse range
I used to use a similar bag when out on my motorbike.

I've got one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Photo-Sport-Backpack-Camera/dp/B004XNLR48 enough room for a camera and a couple of lenses although probably not some of the larger 70-200 f2.8 size lenses. Room in the top compartment for more gear or your sandwiches and there's also a place for hydration bladder. It's quite a slim backpack and sits nicely on my back when cycling. Everything is held securely and it's easy to access the camera with the side flap. My only complaint would be that the camera pouch is not removable but apart from that it's great for a lightweight kit and cycling or walking.

I used to use a lowepro photo sport 30l, it will take a DSLR and lens, plus a drinks bladder, has loads of room in the top to carry other bits and bobs.

I still got it, just don't use it now as I've gone to M4/3rds and haven't been out in the bike for a while

I use a lowepro trekker

Best thing to do is go somewhere with a good selection and see what suits you.

well, it depends on the "2 lenses" I suppose, but my favoured setup for carrying a camera on the bike is to use a "bar bag" with foam inserts - fine if the 2 lenses are a standard zoom and a wide angle or similar, not a lot of cop if you're trying to carry a 400MM f2.8...

I've an old Carradice Cotton Duck Barbag I've adapted, but if I was going for something new, I'd probably consider the Ortleib ones... Then google up a nearby foam-shop and get the inserts made to fit (or go pick-and-pluck if need be.)

Advantages of barbag are

1) weight's not on your back - that's a big deal if you're riding anything more than a hour or two - as most of my regular rides are.
2) camera's right in front of you if you want to stop and grab a picture.
3) the bags are on QR fittings, so you can easily detatch it, fit a strap, and carry it around like a conventional camera case.

but I suppose it all depends on what kind of cycling you're doing, what kind of bike you're riding, and what kind of distances/duration you're aiming for...

For me, the bar bag works great on a road or touring bike, with drop bars, and for rides of between a hour to 7-8 hours - or for extended cycle touring trips... Wouldn't dream of it on a MTB though - all that weight out over the front of the bike's bars really messes with steering on slower / more technical stuff... That's when a backpack would work better - but I don't really do that, and (strange as this may sound from a staff-member on here) I'd probably ask this question over on a MTB forum if I was looking for something to cope with off-road work (Singletrackworld springs to mind, you'd probably get Chipps (the editor of the magazine) giving advice himself, and he's been carting cameras around MTB routes for the past 20 years or so, and as "part of the industry" has probably had access to more kit than even the hardened TP classifieds fiends...)

I've just ordered a Lowepro hatchback 22l from park cameras. It has been reduced to £32 and a few pence. You access your gear at the back so it's supposedly safe. There is room at the top for other items. Worth a look?

I would have said it's personal choice to how they feel on you - personally, I would probably opt for something that was slim and small factor and has a waist strap so you can secure it more - last thing I would want is a large backpack hats moving around...

Do you currently have a backpack you use for cycling ? I presume if you do it's comfy ? What about about using this or if you don't, what about a normal slim backpack and putting your camera and lenses in this, using a lens case / camera case to add the protection ?

I do have a backpack for cycling yea but I only carry it when I'm on the mtb. It's an osprey hydration pack which wouldn't fit a camera let alone lenses as well. When I'm out on the road I tend not to take a backpack as most of my stuff fits in pockets on my jersey.

well, it depends on the "2 lenses" I suppose, but my favoured setup for carrying a camera on the bike is to use a "bar bag" with foam inserts - fine if the 2 lenses are a standard zoom and a wide angle or similar, not a lot of cop if you're trying to carry a 400MM f2.8...

I've an old Carradice Cotton Duck Barbag I've adapted, but if I was going for something new, I'd probably consider the Ortleib ones... Then google up a nearby foam-shop and get the inserts made to fit (or go pick-and-pluck if need be.)

Advantages of barbag are

1) weight's not on your back - that's a big deal if you're riding anything more than a hour or two - as most of my regular rides are.
2) camera's right in front of you if you want to stop and grab a picture.
3) the bags are on QR fittings, so you can easily detatch it, fit a strap, and carry it around like a conventional camera case.

but I suppose it all depends on what kind of cycling you're doing, what kind of bike you're riding, and what kind of distances/duration you're aiming for...

For me, the bar bag works great on a road or touring bike, with drop bars, and for rides of between a hour to 7-8 hours - or for extended cycle touring trips... Wouldn't dream of it on a MTB though - all that weight out over the front of the bike's bars really messes with steering on slower / more technical stuff... That's when a backpack would work better - but I don't really do that, and (strange as this may sound from a staff-member on here) I'd probably ask this question over on a MTB forum if I was looking for something to cope with off-road work (Singletrackworld springs to mind, you'd probably get Chipps (the editor of the magazine) giving advice himself, and he's been carting cameras around MTB routes for the past 20 years or so, and as "part of the industry" has probably had access to more kit than even the hardened TP classifieds fiends...)

Thanks. I'll repost this over in singletrack and also mtbr. I ride both road/gravel and also mountain/singletrack so as many different views as possible would be brill.

Another +1 for the the 'on the bike' crowd. I see you said you'll be on different bikes, which is problematic for this type of solution, but long distance riding and backpacks just gave me shoulder ache. Every bounce starts to hurt the shoulders after a while. If it was me, I'd be looking for a QR solution that I could move from bike to bike with minimal fuss like @TheBigYin mentioned.

I cycle about town with a TT Retrospective shoulder bag, for longer distances a Lower ProRunner backpack - probably the most space economical camera bag I've ever owned.

Take a look at the EVOC range, they make a few dedicated camera bags that also have space for your cycling spares too. Not used there camera bags but my FR lite is superb, really comfy and doesn't move round at all.

A good hiking type bag should work. F-Stop are very well regarded in terms of quality, if not customer service at the moment.

I've got a Guru which I think would be good for cycling-has a decent waist strap so should be stable plus compatible with hydration systems.

Stock is an issue at the moment but there are a couple on eBay.

I'd recommend using whatever cycling backpack you currently have and then some Domke wraps or similar. As far as I know there aren't any decent cycling specific camera bags that cater for dSLRs, so you'd always be compromising even if you found a good sports backpack (such as the F Stop one here: http://www.shotkit.com/best-camera-backpack/). Another option would be a slim line hiking backpack which provided good airflow between your back and the backpack, and was narrow enough to be streamlined. The just use the wraps or a separate camera insert. Hope that helps!

Back