DSLR Body silicone skins

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I dropped my camera a couple of weeks ago, and although it survived, i feel as though I need to protect it. I came across these silicon fitted skins you can get. There are Easycover ones for about £30 and cheap Chinese import ones for about £10.
Has anyone got one fitted, and if so, is it a good idea or more of a hinderance?

They're great for protecting from knocks, but unless you take them off regularly and clean them they will gather dust and grit and cause scratches. :(

They're great for protecting from knocks, but unless you take them off regularly and clean them they will gather dust and grit and cause scratches. :(

I suppose it depends what and where you photograph - for weddings, I both my D750's fitted with silicon skins (£30 versions) from when they came out til early this year. When I took the skins off to sell the cameras, there were no marks.

Reactions: Sky
I suppose it depends what and where you photograph

That would make sense. I've not used them myself, but a fellow tog I knew a few years ago had this problem with them - this is what put me off using them for my cameras.

I had an easy cover on my new D500, liked the idea but it only lasted a few weeks then it just started to annoy me.

but it did fit very well and can’t complain about fit, access to buttons etc, all fine, it was more me, I may try it again now you’ve reminded me I have one.

I think I'd rather have an old-fashioned ever-ready case than one of those camera condoms. I've had similar things on mp3 players and phones and, as Trevor suggests, they can trap grit and sometimes do more harm than good.

Reactions: Sky
Had one on my D7000 for a year, then my D800e for 4 years & fitted now on my D850. They are excellent for stopping the marks caused by putting it down on anything other than grass.

Holy thread revival!
Been looking at these for my two Z9s. Only one thing is holding me back and I haven't found any info so far.
Is there access to the tripod mounting, without removing the cover?
Currently I have Smallrig L brackets fitted permanently to the cameras. I am assuming that this would not be possible with the silicone cover fitted - and perhaps not desirable given that there would be a layer of silicone between the bracket and the camera, and hence not a solid fixing.

Had a gel cover on my D500 since day one, can't remember if it's an Easy cover but the base isn't covered so i can still access the battery and i have a TLT base plate permanently attached .

Back