DSLR File size for V long vids Pls Help!

Name
Louise
Edit My Images
No
Hey

So last Yr I shot a dance show with my DSLR. The show lasted over 3 hours, resulting in a 26GB file. I was able to compress down but the lowest I could get it was about 12GB- Fine for USB I sorted those. Some parents asked for DVD which is where the problem started. I sent off the file and they compressed down to like 4 or whatever it is a DVD can hold so obvs the quality was awful.

So I suppose my question is.. Is there any way of shooting this years show with my DSLR that will result in a smaller file size or that can be compressed but obvs retain quality?

Side Note.. I played around with the settings, changed the recording size etc. The only setting that gave a smaller file size, the view was square so not suitable for the show.

Hope someone can help!

I shoot with a Canon 6D

Cheers

Instead of putting it on DVD's for the parents why not just upload it to Youtube, set it as 'private' so it wont show up in searches or feature anywhere, only people with the link to it can view it. Youtube limit is 256 GB or 12 hours, whichever is less. Shoot it with your best quality and dont compress it, then upload it and share the URL with the people who want to see it.

Instead of putting it on DVD's for the parents why not just upload it to Youtube, set it as 'private' so it wont show up in searches or feature anywhere, only people with the link to it can view it. Youtube limit is 256 GB or 12 hours, whichever is less. Shoot it with your best quality and dont compress it, then upload it and share the URL with the people who want to see it.
Cheers.

The parents like to buy and keep a hard copy to look back on. Some are fine with the USBs, others prefer a DVD, just need to know if it's possible (in good quality) from my DSLR.

The dance show must be in sections. So can you split up the footage into smaller chunks that do fit on a disk?

Do you mean compress each section?
Two or three DVDs, depending on the number of sections and their size. Maybe top and tail each DVD with the intro and curtain call.

You can reduce file size by reducing bitrate, frame rate, and/or pixel quantity (downsizing to a lower resolution) all of these will reduce quality.

A DVD will hold about 130 minutes of video.

You could make two DVDs up and also put the full show online as suggested.

Does anyone actually use DVD's anymore ?????

I have not played a DVD in years, in fact the only one I have left was a one I made when on holiday with my god-daughter when she was 9, and she is now 21.

I have not played a DVD in years, in fact the only one I have left was a one I made when on holiday with my god-daughter when she was 9, and she is now 21.

I suspect that most photographers are more technologically advanced than other people. The charity shops are still selling DVDs. And CDs in many of them.

I know right? Some of them have had the dvd collection going for years so they want to keep them all in the same format ‍♀️ Has been a headache from start to finish tbh.

the best software to try different compression is handbrake. it's free.

3 hours of footage from a single camera doesn't sound like a great viewing experience. do you have the possibility to film with more cameras and edit?

the best software to try different compression is handbrake. it's free.

3 hours of footage from a single camera doesn't sound like a great viewing experience. do you have the possibility to film with more cameras and edit?
Nope. They literally just want the stage in full view, no zoom ins, change of position etc I just have to set up and click record.

Will have a look at handbrake. Thank you

Back