Dslr for £700 ish

Edit My Images
Yes
Just sold my lumix g2 cos it was struggling with low light even with an olympus 45mm f1.8 which i loved so the question is what to get next for around £700 ish. This is mainly for taking pics of my baby son, and general walkabout shots, i need the camera to produce shots equal or better than the samples below even in low light with high iso. Cheers

a few pictures taken with the camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/16039423@N03/

Last edited:
Is this body-only or do you want a lens/lenses with it?

If you don't mind second hand, shops like ApertureUK and MPBphotographic have some cracking kit in that you'll be able to team with a lens for your budget

I want at least a lens either a 35mm 1.8 or the 50mm 1.8. My shortlist canon 600d, 650d, 60d. Nikon d5100, d7000. Or maybe a sony model?

Last edited:
d7000 is probably the best APS-C format camera on the market now, the small canons are sadly not very exciting.

I'd actually say that the Pentax K5 is the best. Same sensor as the D7000 (I think) but many many more features and better build quality.

Cheap for what it is too.

I would say the k5 is a better buy too but not so much lens choice. The d7000 is a good choice with the 35mm but i think i would rather an extra lens like the tamron 17-50 and go with the d5100 or d90.

Have a look at the Pentax K30 - it's got the same sensor as the K5 with a slightly updated autofocus and imaging processor, dual controls, water-sealing (not -proofing!) and it;s just had a big price drop and Pentax are offering £50 cashback. I'm seriously tempted myself.

Jeepers! The k30 is only £429 from WEX inc the kit lens plus another £50 off with cash back!

Or only £20 more for the weather resistant version of the lens.

That's a billy-bargain!

I would highly recommend the k5. Great build quality, weather proofing etc. Plenty of really nice older prime lenses about for sale as well and there not that expensive to buy.

Jeepers! The k30 is only £429 from WEX inc the kit lens plus another £50 off with cash back!

Or only £20 more for the weather resistant version of the lens.

That's a billy-bargain!

Definitely

Under £400 for any dslr is cheap nowadays, let alone one that good.

I'm tempted myself but SWMBO would do her nut, I already have far too much camera gear!

Go and try them in the shops.

The only person that can say which is best for you, is you. Recommendations from others as to what they like, may not be what you want, like or need. There are different models and brands to suit all, but it has to be your choice not ours.

You are forgetting that a lot of people want to be steered in their choice, hence why half the threads in this section are about which camera someone should buy...

Used d300/s and a nikon 35mm f1.8 ... Should be in your budget - memory card too - 4gb extreme iii sandisk should do you...? ;)

Tried some low light on a gf3 and was not happy - need to practice more :)
D300 works well though, just need the subject to fill most of the frame and it'll be fine :)

Best option if you can is get yourself to a used camera store and handle loads of cameras. You already have a list plus others opinions, so see about handling them and see whether you like them or not.

K30 is a bargain! Just let down by battery life.

£630 inc cashback if you go for the 18-135 WR lens.

Last edited:
You are forgetting that a lot of people want to be steered in their choice, hence why half the threads in this section are about which camera someone should buy...

No I'm not. If we wanted to be steered and thinking we do is a common and error, there would only be 1 camera from each manufacturer.

Buying a camera is a personal choice and affected by

size
weight
cost
brand
control layout
to mention a few.

What is good for me will not be good for everyone else.

You are still lacking awareness that some people need help with their decision.

Again, why do you think half the threads are along lines of "what camera should I buy?"

I just upgraded to a D7000, and own a 35mm 1.8 lens. I'm still getting used to my camera as it's quite a leap from the previous one I owned, but regardless I love it and I also really reccomend the lens. It's so sharp and the colours pop, i dont know what I did before I had it:)

Just sold my lumix g2 cos it was struggling with low light even with an olympus 45mm f1.8 which i loved so the question is what to get next for around £700 ish. This is mainly for taking pics of my baby son, and general walkabout shots, i need the camera to produce shots equal or better than the samples below even in low light with high iso. [/url]
if you want to keep it small how about a NEX or an Oly E-PL5?

An A57 is ~£400 after cashback & would leave enough for a 35/1.8 & a 50/1.8.
Same basic sensor as the D7000/K-5/K-30 etc. but you'll lose around .4 of a stop due to the "translucent" mirror. You'll gain improved LiveView & video AF though.

If ISO performance is your main consideration perhaps a used older Canon FF DSLR might be worth considering?

The 5D mark 1 is down to around £500 used these days and still scores more highly than any of the ASPC alternatives with DxO mark on ISO noise.

If you could handle the weight the 1Ds mk2 seems like some of the best value you can get at the moment at around £800 used with even better ISO performance and pro AF. Checking prices MPB have a bit of a worn one of the latter for £500 right now.

Last edited:
If ISO performance is your main consideration perhaps a used older Canon FF DSLR might be worth considering?

The 5D mark 1 is down to around £500 used these days and still scores more highly than any of the ASPC alternatives with DxO mark on ISO noise.

If you could handle the weight the 1Ds mk2 seems like some of the best value you can get at the moment at around £800 used with even better ISO performance and pro AF. Checking prices MPB have a bit of a worn one of the latter for £500 right now.

I would agree with you on the 5D, still a great camera. The 1Ds MKII would probably start to show its age when it come to ISO performance, the 5D would probably edge it. Then the OP would have £200-250 to spend on a decent lens or 2.

I would agree with you on the 5D, still a great camera. The 1Ds MKII would probably start to show its age when it come to ISO performance, the 5D would probably edge it. Then the OP would have £200-250 to spend on a decent lens or 2.

Its a bit older but DxO mark rate the 1Ds mk2 more highly for ISO performance, he would need to be buying a rather well used one to come under that budget though and its not a light camera.

A Sony A37 from WEX is £329:00 with 18mm-55mm and the bundle which includes 55mm-200mm is £499:00 both offer after £50 cash back offer from Sony. It has the same Sensor as the Pentax.

Its a bit older but DxO mark rate the 1Ds mk2 more highly for ISO performance, he would need to be buying a rather well used one to come under that budget though and its not a light camera.

That's why I'm suggesting the 5D with money to spare for a decent prime lens or 2

You are still lacking awareness that some people need help with their decision.

Again, why do you think half the threads are along lines of "what camera should I buy?"

So far he has been told

Canon 600D
Canon 650D
Canon 60D
Nikon D5100
Nikon D7000
Pentax K5
Pentax K30
Nikon D300
Sony A57
NEX
Olympus E PL5
Canon 5D1
Canon 1DS2
Sony A37

So he really is no better off than before.

As the list shows camera buying is a personal choice not a committee.

Agree it is a personal choice and I am happy to make my own decisions. However, a lot of people seem to need some sort of validation which leads to the hundreds of 'which xxxx should I buy'.
Yes, lots of cameras have been suggested and if they were suggested with reasons why that may or may not put the OP in a better position than if they hadn't asked. Who knows - as is typical the OP ceases to continue adding to the thread...

So far he has been told

Canon 600D
Canon 650D
Canon 60D
Nikon D5100
Nikon D7000
Pentax K5
Pentax K30
Nikon D300
Sony A57
NEX
Olympus E PL5
Canon 5D1
Canon 1DS2
Sony A37

So he really is no better off than before.

As the list shows camera buying is a personal choice not a committee.

A lot of people aren't aware of any DSLR beyond Canon or Nikon, as they have the biggest market share and biggest advertising budget. If threads like this open their eyes to other possibilities, then of course they are better off. They can make a more informed choice for themselves.

Edging toward a d7000 and 35mm f1.8 a good choice?

Excellent choice.. (was on my shortlist a while back!)

I would just say that whilst it's a high end body (advanced amateur), it does lack of lot of bells/whistles..

I would also put a shout in for the Sony A57
- In body IS is handy for low light (all prime lenses get IS), and the 50 f/1.8 is super cheap as per Nikon/Canon
- EVF and Rear live view offer identical full Phase Detect AF experience with all the extra info an EVF brings (not to mention showing you what the final shot will look like before you take it). The ability to see if things are a bit dull before you take the shot allows quick pre-chimping.
- Fantastic video mode with fast AF using normal lenses (full 1080p)
- Articulated rear display works well with fast AF to make it a joy to use (normally live view is for occasional use)
- Cheap at the moment (under £500 with kit lens), 50 f/1.8 is £100 or less due to cashback offer that's on at the moment)

Sony have a good range of well priced lenses and flashes that mean Nikon/Canon don't have to be the first choice these days..

I had my heart set on the D7000 myself, it was the Sony A77 that drew me away, it's brought 'fun' back to photography for me, and at the end of the day, all the image performance of these camera's is much of a muchness..

Of course, we all like different things, I personally like to test drive them in-store a little, or research reviews (e.g. DPReview).

I have zero issues with any modern DSLR's, from Panny/Oly/Canon/Sony/Nikon.. most of the APS-C Brigade (Pentax/Nikon/Sony) all use Sony sensors anyway (bar the odd exception like the D3200).. it's more about what you like the look/feel of and if any feature sets apply more to you then others..

Last edited:
I went for a nikon d7000 and a 35mm f1.8 should be here tomorrow, will have a play and see if i like it. :)

I have the above body and may purchase the same lens as well or the 50mm 1.4...not decided yet. Great choice, should suit your purpose well.

A lot of people aren't aware of any DSLR beyond Canon or Nikon, as they have the biggest market share and biggest advertising budget. If threads like this open their eyes to other possibilities, then of course they are better off. They can make a more informed choice for themselves.

Canon and Nikon also have the biggest range of lenses and other accessories available - both genuine Canikon and aftermarket (Tamron, Sigma etc). IIRC, Sony make the sensors for several brands but how the information that sensor is processed by the camera makes a huge difference to image quality.

As always, my advice would be to decide on a budget, look at specifications to see which bodies have the features you want/need and make a shortlist of suitable bodies. Then, armed with that list, visit the High Street and see which retailer(s) stock what you've got on your shortlist. Take a card (or 2) with you so you can take a few shots to pixel peep at home - SD seem to be fairly ubiquitous these days, although some higher end and older models use CF cards - IIRC, Sony use their own Memory Stick format, so you may need to borrow one from the shop and get them to transfer the pics to a CD for you, possibly for free if they believe you'll be spending a few hundred quid there in the near future! To tide you over until you're sure what focal lengths you want (in lenses), try to get a kit lens with the body - new kits are generally cheaper than buying seperately and even 2nd hand, dealers will sometimes do a deal for a kit buy. Remember, they need you and your money more than you need them (at the moment), so you have the ultimate option of walking away if you don't like the deal. FTR, Canon's vested interest in Jessops seems to mean that they (Jessops) can offer the best deals on Canon kit which is one reason why they seem to push Canon over other brands.

New D5200 looks good. Pretty sure there will be a D7100 coming soon, but that will be costly.

Panamoz will sell you a Canon 60D with both the EF-S 18-55 and the EFS 55-250 for £731. Obviously you'll have to pay extra for a memory card (sd only) & p&p but I thought it was a good deal. I even tried to buy this package myself last week but they had technical issues with paypal so had to cancel. I intend to try again this week though because I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Back