DSLR great but what compact superzoom?

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D90 and primes and love it but I'm missing lots of family/landscape shots as I'm not that experienced and it takes me time to think of exposure/Fstop/Flenght/AF or MF etc etc + its a lot to carry, so to compliment my DSLR (which will be used when I'm out myself) can you advise what superzoom gives consistent sharp pictures and I'll pop that in the pocket for 'busy' family days?

Thanks

I have a D90 and primes and love it but I'm missing lots of family/landscape shots as I'm not that experienced and it takes me time to think of exposure/Fstop/Flenght/AF or MF etc etc + its a lot to carry, so to compliment my DSLR (which will be used when I'm out myself) can you advise what superzoom gives consistent sharp pictures and I'll pop that in the pocket for 'busy' family days?

Thanks

I've got a panasonic FZ28 i used to use before a got a DSLR, I was very happy with it. great photos, 18x zoom, HD video, easy to use.
I would recommend something from that panasonic range depending on budget :)

Charlie.

Get a decent zoom for you D90 and use in aperture or shutter priority, I personally am never happy with compact shots anymore due to noise.

Last edited:
I'm thinking along those lines too. I'd rather have the Canon S90/95 but my wife likes the Panasonic's big zoom range and she'll probably use it more than I will.

There doesn't seem to be much room for a compromise here. My wife wants a decent compact with a good telephoto capability, as an all rounder, and I want a good ultra compact to complement my DSLR. The solution would be to get both, I suppose, but I can't afford to go that route.

Actually I have been searching the forum for a similar answer to this question and was surprised that I did not find it. I was half expecting loads of "which budget P&S/bridge" threads due to the Christmas rush.....

I know what to look for in the DSLR bracket but not in the £100-£200 price range for a bridge or decent P&S.

As per OP for the £150 mark what would you recommend (in my case for a 12year old girl)?

The Panasonic TZ range seems to win in the P&S area, what about bridge cameras though?

Something like the Nikon L110, or even inbetween with the Canon SX120IS?

Thanks, Kieran
(hope this helps the OP rather than hijacking his thread:D)

....I'd rather have the Canon S90/95.....

If you have the budget that is a cracking piece of kit, I have seen some stunning results from it.

Opinions are going to vary, I've bought a couple of superzooms this year (Fuji F70EXR and Casio EX-FH100) but they don't get much use. I find a lot of the time the longer part of the zoom is of limited benefit because it needs high shutter speeds even with IS to be usable handheld and in low light their tiny sensors and relatively slow lenses hurts their performance.

The LX3's zoom can be very limiting at times (although both the S95 and LX5 are better in this regard) but it's rarely left my jacket pocket ever since it was bought at around launch time. It's a very responsive little camera and more usable in low light thanks to the brighter lens and slightly larger sensor. At the same time though I can see why people why people wouldn't want such a camera due to the limited zoom.

John

Fuji HS10 is the closest to a DSLR a bridge has got so far, shoots rax, huge zoom, does clever things but bit bigger than pocket sized.

If you have the budget that is a cracking piece of kit, I have seen some stunning results from it.

I agree and I can just about afford the S90/95, but not the TZ8/10 as well, so one of us is going to have to do without. I suppose it'll be me, because my wife really wants the Panasonic for the longer zoom. Fair enough, she didn't complain when I bought the F4.0 70-200mm and she'll never use that because she doesn't like the size and weight of the 30D. Guess I can get the ultra compact next year.

Thanks

Why not just stick it in program mode and autofocus and just leave on a nice compact prime like a 35/1.8g or 35/2d?

If you have kids to photograph then at least with a D90 you have not got to worry about shutter lag / startup lag which compact cameras often have, not to mention that they also rely on longer shutter speeds or noisy high iso in less than perfect light.

A lot of "compacts" still require a pretty decent sized pocket!

I'm thinking along those lines too. I'd rather have the Canon S90/95 but my wife likes the Panasonic's big zoom range and she'll probably use it more than I will.

There doesn't seem to be much room for a compromise here. My wife wants a decent compact with a good telephoto capability, as an all rounder, and I want a good ultra compact to complement my DSLR. The solution would be to get both, I suppose, but I can't afford to go that route.

best option for the compact superzoom is a panasonic TZ9/ TZ10 or canon sx210is.

The panasonic FZ series cameras or any bridge cameras are by no means compact

I'm not sure, but I think the TZ7 has better IQ than the TZ8, TZ10, etc...

(I have the TZ65 and as compacts go it's handy for the occasion I can't be bothered to lug the DSLR with me. But once used to a DSLR you're nearly always slightly disappointed with any 'compact' ;))

Back