Beginner DSLR Lens with wider angle, or Bridge camera

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hello folks

I was hoping to get some general advise with regards to lenses. I currently own a Canon EOS450 D which I really like (although I am a beginner so I would definately say I have nowhere near 'mastered' it). I am travelling to NYC soon and would like very much to take some wide angle shots, something which doesnt 'feel' entirely possible with the lenses which I currently own. As mentioned above, I do really love my Canon, although it can prove rather bulky when travelling (especially with the lenses), and it is not always convenient to keep swapping between lenses. Recently I noticed the Panasonic Lumux FZ72 bridge camera (currently around £220) which has a focal length of 3.58 - 215 mm (35mm equivalent 20-1200 mm) and is generally advertised as having a crazy zoom and wide angle at opposite ends of the focal length. As mentioned before - I am a beginner so please bear with me. I am very tempted to purchase the Panasonic Lumux but am wondering if I can get as wide-angle shots with my EFS 18-55mm Canon lens on my EOS 450D? As far as im aware the Canon 18mm will result in a wider angle than the 20mm on the Lumux? Or perhaps this is different as it is a fixed lens? Sorry if this is a stupid question! I am open to selling my 18-55mm lens, and maybe purchasing a new one which perhaps sacrifices zoom for slightly more wider angle, but my budget is low at around £230. If it is the case that what I have will give me a wider angle than the Lumux, then I will probably put the money into equipment for ny Canon instead as I wont buy a Bridge camera soley for the portability factor. Thank you in advance folks!

Your 18mm kit lens is a 35mm equivalent of 28mm. Multiply the number on the canon lens by 1.6 to get 35mm equivalent.
I would suggest personally stick with the dslr and try pick up a s/h 10-18 stm lens if possible can get these for around the £170 mark

Back