DSLR lenses no longer in demand?

Name
Jason Brown
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it me or is there a definite decline in interest in DSLR lenses? I've recently put a couple of Nikon F-mount full frame lenses up for sale on here and I've been surprised how little interest there is in them. It's not the price or their desirability - fast AF-S lenses used to sell like hot cakes - so I can only assume that everyone has gone mirrorless bonkers. Am I right?

You're probably right, but I rarely see people out and about with mirrorless systems and would say people using DSLR's out number 6 fold. I also think a lot of people are more fiscally challenged nowadays with the cost of living and life's necessities take precedence which is another reason.

If I'd sold lenses like the 24-70mm f/2.8g and 135mm f/2DC when I stopped using them 5 years ago I'd have gotten more than double what I'll get for them now. When I'm in a camera shop and look at the 2nd hand DSLR gear for sale I'm gobsmacked by how low the prices are in comparison to 4-5 years ago, whoever's part ex'ing this gear will be getting around 40% less than what the likes of WEX resell it for.

There's never been a better time for anyone to get some really nice gear at bargain prices. Once the D850 gets discontinued (probably within a year) I bet in a couple of years they'll be going for around £700 2nd hand as the depreciation value for DSLR gear is huge. I've seen 2nd hand D6's in mint condition with 36k clicks going for £2500 and that camera is currently £6800 new.

Absolutely - I’m still F mount as you’ll know but only because I’m colourblind and can’t see the super fine, red AF points on Nikon Z, but as soon as they add a colour change feature I’ll be off too. In the meantime I know that everything I own is dropping in value like a stone. I just sold my 14-24/2.8 by pure fluke for good money to a photographer who happened to be in my area on a shoot from Ireland. Apparently prices are still very high over there and I was selling at 50% of what she expected to pay at home! Odd one that.

Anyway, don’t resort to MPB for that 16-35 yet, it’s on my radar but I’ve more to sell first!

It is a small market here. Do try it, but if it doesn't move you have to do ebay BIN when a selling promo comes on, usually every fortnight or so.

I would say market has definitely contracted some, but if you have later, sharp and desirable versions you are still able to sell, but also to buy at decent rates. My strategy is to only retain / acquire the very best DSLR glass that puts the plena essentially to shame, and obviously business critical ones until such date they have been entirely replaced by whichever most likely non-canon system. Zooms like 24-70mm need to go really. Primes and mirrorless versions slaughter the old ones.

Back