DSLR or Compact

Edit My Images
Yes
which do you mainly use ?

(as most DSLR owners have a compact as well )

i have a Nikon D70, just upgraded from a Fuji S7000 ( which is now sold ) and a Fuji 4800Z , also got a 3meg Olly somewhere ( the lad has it :roll: )

my guess would be most of you have a DSLR , but please........do tell

MyPix ( cant find the ' poll ' button )

Erm... Film! [smilie=l: [smilie=l: [smilie=l:

Thinking of flogging my Nikon F65 and teaming my F80 up with a D70 though...

cool, forgot to include them , lol

i also own a Nikon F601 , Nikon F50 and a Nikon F60 , all married up with a Nikon Speedlight SB25 ( and 6 lenses shared between the lot )

i take it you either scan the images or get a ' cd ' when the film is processed ?

MyPix :)

I scan the negs or slides in with a Minolta Scan Dual III. And it's always SO much fun removing all the little dust marks from an image that is 4000 x 2700 pixels!

Catdaddy said:
I scan the negs or slides in with a Minolta Scan Dual III. And it's always SO much fun removing all the little dust marks from an image that is 4000 x 2700 pixels!

i bet, lol
get urself an Ostrich feather ( female one ), they will remove and hold the smallest amount of fine dust and leave ur negs and slides as clean as clean can be

MyPix :wink:

It's a good question - the DSLR or Compact?, I mean. I use a Canon 10D plus a variety of lenses when I can - which means when it is practicable to lug it all around. I also have an ageing but trusty Canon G2 which, although not as compact as some, will fit into a largish pocket.

I've been thinking about all this recently, and have decided to upgrade the G2 to either a G6 or an Olympus C7070 when it comes out next month. "The best camera is the one you have with you," is the old adage, and I suspect that I'll be using the G6/C7070 for snapshots, holiday pics and general photography, and the 10D for 'photographic outings' and the few commercial assignments that I get from time to time.

A DSLR will be much better for action shots etc (although the G6 and C7070 have decent optical viewfinders, and the C7070 is supposed to have predictive AF and a moderate burst rate), but now that there are 7MP compacts with relatively low noise (up to ISO 100, anyway), I will be interested to see what 'real world' difference there is in the quality of the pics between these and a DSLR.

The 10D will certainly not be foresaken because it is capable of doing things that no compact can, but IMO there is defnitely a parallel role for something good and small. :)

I'm actually in the market for a new compact as my 1.3mp Fuji has a sticky lens slide :( might be something to do with the sand thats stuck inside :roll: I also have a £40 jessops funcam thingymabob that I keep in the car for emergencies and any amusing pictures.

The wife wants to get into photogrpahy tho so might end up with getting her a Fuji S7000 to play about with whilst I'm out with the 300D

if ur gona get an S7000 then now is the time, they are selling for £349 on the highstreet, down from £549 a year ago, but this is because it will soon be replaced by another model, prolly by April,
the other thing about the S7000 is that it eats batteries alive, and one good session ( around 60 shots/50% flash ) will kill em outright
you can find a good review on em here http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000/

hope this helps

MyPix

I used to have an S5000 and really regret getting rid of it when I upgraded to the 300D :( Theres so many situations where it would have been handy.

My weapon of choice for discrete and handy snapping is the Canon Ixus 430, it's the size of a deck of cards.

It's fantastic for keeping in your pocket and taking to the places where the 20D just wouldn't be right.

I started off with a small compact camera and progressed slowly up to a DSLR. It took me quite a while to justify it and while I appreciate that there quality of compact cameras has come on in leaps and bounds over the last few years I still get a great buzz from shooting with a chunky, sexy and substantial camera. This is half the enjoyment for me and more than makes up for the inconvenience of having to carry all my equipment around with me.
Sure there are times when I have missed shots through not having my camera with me but chances are that even if I had had a small compact, I would look at the results and compare them to what I may have achieved with the DSLR. For me it’s the striving to achieve the absolute best I can that keeps me driven and interested, getting a second class picture from a compact (compared to what my other equipment can produce) would not give me the enjoyment I get from my photography.

Now I have a DSLR i realise that it cant go everywhere. You can't really take it on a night out or anything like that.

I think there is definately scope for getting a digital compact, something like a Canon IXUS. A go anywhere camera. That way you have a camera for every occasion. For me photography is not always about going all out to get the best shot all the time. It is also about catching a moment, recording events yet being able to enjoy whats going on and not having to worry about the right exposure ect. Or more importantly worrying about looking after £1k worth of camera gear.

@ Fungus: I agree that a decent 'put it in your pocket' camera has a lot going for it. Until recently I had a Fuji MX1700 which was out of date and only 1.5MP, but nevertheless incredibly useful. Be wary though about the 5MP Ixus - they are noisy. It depends on how compact you want it to be, but as an alternative to the Ixus, look at the Fuji F610, the Pentax Optio, or maybe the replacement for the Canon A75 (sorry, can't remember the number) which is due out shortly. The Canon A-series are a bit fatter than some of the ultra compacts, but the new one is smaller, and if it is as good as the A75 my wife uses (mainly!) I can recommend it.

I think that if you're going down the compact route it needs to be something really small if you've got something like a 20D.

If i whip the grip off my 10D and put the 50mm lens or a short zoom on it it's not really much bigger and no more awkward than one of the larger compacts.

An Ixus would be ideal in terms of size, or that new olympus model.

300d and a casio qvr40 and a fuji s5000 till i sell it

much prefer the 300d though

I bought the Rebel because after years of using compacts I was starving for a 'proper' camera. I traded in most of my old film gear for a 1.2mpx Nikon 902 (which cost more than the Rebel!) Loved the idea of digital straight away but was disappointed with the lack of quality, so after a few months the 902 would sit more and more at home unused. Then it went faulty (grrr) and I upgraded to a Minolta S304, obviously better quality pictures meant I used it more but it still wasn't enough, didn't feed the hunger.

When I found the OcUK photography forum and saw the results that some were getting from the 300D and found that it was possible to buy one without bankrupting myself I jumped at the chance. I don't regret it for one moment, it rekindled my love of photography. I've taken more photos in the last 6 months than in the 6 years previously and I never get tired of looking for something new to try. The Minolta went to a good home in a friends house and I don't miss it (though I liked it) because I know I would never be satisfied with it again.

well, as i started this i think i should comment again , lol

i also found the initial jump to digital ' disapointing '( or limiting might be a better word) to a certain degree, ie: quality, or lack of it , i started with a 1.5 meg Fuji, in its self a fantastic little camera, but like all the early ones it was limited with its power, and very few if any had optical zoom either,
then when getting around the 3meg mark i started to get satisfied with the quality and naturaly progressed to my Nikon D70, which is almost a step down fom the virtual 12meg of the s7000 i had, but 100x the camera.
this is now the camera of choice, but i still have the Fuji 4800Z for ' portability' and ease of concealment

MyPix

Main: Canon EOS 300D/Digital Rebel.

Compact carry round: Has been a Sony Cybershot P72 but have just got a Nikon Coolpix 5600.

I have the 350D as per my sig but it rarely gets used as I just dont seem to have the time these days.

I also have a Kodak DX4330 that my wife uses almost daily (she refuses to use the D-SLR as it "looks too complicated" and no matter how I try to explain that it is easier than she thinks she won't change her mind.

I'm starting to use film as my course is in film, but if I get the chance I'll be whipping out the 20D. I do enjoy the film, its a good thing to know how to do. Setting shutter speeds and the like is an nightmare :(
I've got an excellant sony V1 that I will always admire as it was my first camera, but I love my D-SLR & 35mm SLR

I still have my Canon A95 which is great for carrying around and in the right lighting conditions produced great shots.
Give me a compact that performs ike a DSLR and I'd buy it in a flash.

I still have my Oly C5050 and do use it when I can't take the 20D. It has a f1.8 lens and a pretty good super macro mode in its favour. Once you are used to DSLR speeds though things like shutter lag get really noticable.

Bachs said:
Give me a compact that performs ike a DSLR and I'd buy it in a flash.

Ahhh, Frankenthread!

I think everybody would dude, flexability and portability in an easy to pocket format?

Me? D70 for work and a kodak 4mp jobbie for when I can't be arsed.

No DSLR for me yet, can't justify the cost at the moment, one day though. My first digital was a Kodak 1.3 mp very slow lag,(just sold that) then I bought a small DV camera with 2mp still capability, very fidly to use. Then I bought a Fuji s304 3mp with 6xoptical zoom, (just gave that to the wife, then for my 25yrs service at Ford's I chose a Nikon 5200 coolpix, very compact and produces some good photos, earlier in the year I bought a Panasonic DMC FZ5, and most recently I bought a HP R817. My reason for having so many cameras is my sons enjoy taking photos when we go to watch BTCC etc. We will be taking plenty of photos at Goodwood FOS next saturday.

i have a oly 500 and fuji 5600

oly is with me most times but if i'm in a crowd or concered for its safety i carry the 5600 with me :)

I would love to have a compact to compliment the EOS. Taking an EOS body and 3 lenses is no small matter and even just the body and one lens can be enough to get in the way.

The trouble is finding one that is good enough to leave the SLR at home. For me the spec list would have to be so specific and I just can't find it. Or probably afford it anway. :LOL:

I reckon to be worth it a compact needs;

enough pixels to squeze out a 12x16 print
Good reproduction with lifelike colours and no noise
to be small enough to fit in a pocket
shoot raw files
have full manual controls that aren't burried in menu somewhere
a good lens that works with the chip
a tripod mount
take either CF or SD cards (I really don't want another set of cards to deal with)
oh, and a live histogram would be nice too :grin:

I've been relying on a canon sureshot150 as a "take anywhere" camera. Bought it last year from eBay and to start with I did indeed take it everywhere.......suddenly realised a couploe of weeks back though that it had been gathering dust, and that I couldn't remember the last time I'd needed to change the film.......a few days later I spotted a Curry's ad for a half price 6mp Samsung. It's got a degree of manual control (More than the other half's Olympus C310 anyway), produces seemingly good quality images (not played much yet, but what I've seen seems to be fine) and will work nicely for me as a backup I think. Other than that and the 30D, I seems to have quite a collection of cameras. My original Canon "compact" (not very compact at all looking at it now!) a SureShot zoomXL which was my 18th birthday present from Mum & Dad, I still have the D30 too - I'm keeping that as it's handy to have a second body when I can get some centre green access at speedway. I also still have my old EOS 500N body, although more because I've not got around to advertising it for sale anywhere! There are a few others kicking around as well.......!

There are days when I go somewhere and the bag with all the DSLR gear in it feels really heavy and I wonder what the hell I'm playing at......then I get into whatever I'm shooting and suddenly the bag feels lighter.....!

I want the camera that the photographer in the board-meeting scene in Kubrick's 2001 used - size of a fag-packet and a zoom range of 8-800mm...

DSLR only here too. It's always in the car anyway so no need for a compact, although I used to have an A75 but hated it

Back