DSLR Repair (dropped camera)

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone got any tips re repairs (Nikon D810)? Lens mount a little loose and menu button unresponsive, play button jammed following a fall from height today! I am based in East Lancs but can post off, just wondered if anyone has any recommendations re repairs. Thanks.

If the lens mount is loose is focus off too? Normally I'd use fixation for this but they're not on your doorstep

AFAIK

Fixation in London

Lehmans ......... can't recall location but up North somewhere?

I surmise others with direct experience of repairers will chip in.

I used Nikon repair a few years ago. Dropped D610 and although everything worked the images on the right hand side were out of focus. they told me the body was out of line with the sensor. The camera was fixed and still works perfectly. The cost was about £275 which is a lot but not as expensive as a repacement camera.

Lehmans in stoke on Trent is probably the nearest , but a lot depends on parts availability . fixation is allegedly good but expensive or nikon themselves .. whichever you choose it will most likely be a case of posting it off and getting a estimate first to decide if its viable or not

It can be easier to send to Nikon as sometimes third-party repairers will send onto Nikon, then you have additional delays.

Will try and contact Nikon to see if you can send direct. There is a Wilkinsons close(ish) but not sure who they send to for repairs to be undeertaken. Cheers.

Do you have accidental damage as part of your contents insurance. Worth a read of policy and decide if your covered. The insurer would decide where it goes then

It can be easier to send to Nikon as sometimes third-party repairers will send onto Nikon, then you have additional delays.
Equally when Nikon were in Kingston they did send alot to Fixation. I don’t know now

I damaged my D500 not long after I got it. The rear LCD was broken. I tried getting in touch with other repairers before Nikon, as it was an imported camera, and Nikon UK were known not to touch imports. Because the camera was so new, and a new touch screen LCD for Nikon, most had no clue whether they could get the part, and one quoting £300+ parts. :oops: :$

So I got in touch with Nikon UK, to see if they would fix it, or at least sell the part, but they said yes, they would fix it, :) and the screen would be £173, but they would confirm when they had a look at it, and update their quote, especially if the sensor had been knocked out of alignment in the fall. As it was, everything else was OK apart from the LCD, so the cost was what they originally quoted. :)

Will try and contact Nikon to see if you can send direct. There is a Wilkinsons close(ish) but not sure who they send to for repairs to be undeertaken. Cheers.
Head on over to the Nikon UK web site and click on support. There's a page where you can tell them what has happened and arrange for the return of the camera. they'll email you a free label.

Until recently I was a staunch supporter of Nikon's service but my most recent experience is anything but good - there's some posts in the D750 thread so I won't go through it all again here.

Do you have accidental damage as part of your contents insurance. Worth a read of policy and decide if your covered. The insurer would decide where it goes then
£250 excess and then a hike on premiums next year.....................

It is worth considering as there is little point paying for insurance year after year if you never claim. I claimed twice from my contents. About 30 years ago when most of my kit was stolen and they paid out very generously with no significant increase the following year. The second time I claimed was for a Canon lens which my son knocked of a chair (my fault for leaving it there). It was sent back to canon and was as good as new when repaired. The excess was most of the cost so only a small saving.

Dave

If you have new for old and the D810 isnt economically repairable ( current market value c £750-800?) then potentially a D850 for £250 and shop around for your insurance next year. I dont see the point of paying for insurance not to use it and you’re not describing a minor piece of damage that you’ll get fixed for £100 or so

Back