DSLR to SLR - things to be aware of?

akr

Name
Al
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

My sister has organised a family gathering in 2 weeks and has asked if I can take some pictures with her Pentax SLR. As the organiser she won't be able to take shots on the day, but wants some taken with this camera (it was our grandads).

I'm going to try and get my hands on it this week to have a practise but this may not be possible.

I've never really shot with film other than a P&S, and I didn't really know what I was doing then.

I currently have a 40D and have only really started to understand photography basics in the digital arena. So I have a good grasp of the basics aperture, shutter, speed ISO and very basic composition etc.

So my question is question is how do you mange ISO on film, I believe you set this for the whole film as such, which is certainly not the way I am used to operating. At present I up the ISO if I can't get the shutter speed I desire.

Are there any other 'obvious' things I should be aware of?

It's not the end of the world if I mess up the photos, but I'd like to give it my best shot. I'm quite looking forward to it I have to say, but not really sure why!

Thanks in advance.

Al

The camera may have auto setting for film speed, if not its just turn the knob. The camera most prob will have some kind of meter. So there you go.

Which Pentax is it ?

You set the iso on the camera to the speed of the film you put in it.
Without going in to push processing and all that, if you buy iso 100 film, that is what you shoot it at pretty much, there is no changing iso once the film is loaded.
If you cant get shutter speed, you have to open the lens up, still can't get it ?...tripod.
:)

Yes, if it 90s or later then it should auto detect ISO. Otherwise you will have to set manually but it is easy. Then you have to stick with that ISO for the whole film (in theory it could be rated to a different value and push processed but an ordinary lab won't do it).
Choose the film very carefully. For indoors maybe pick something ISO 400 and f/1.8 - f/2.8 aperture range. Be sure to use FRESH PRO film (like fuji PRO series, Kodak has their range). For people you may want lower contrast film like Fuji Sensia or Kodak Portra, etc or Ilford BW film.
The main difference between film and digital is sensitivity for highlights. With film it is very good idea to OVEREXPOSE 1/3 or even 2/3 stops.

Perhaps the most important factor is the processing lab. Some do a brilliant job, some pretty much ruin the film (thats why I gave up film), so choose very carefully and better spend extra. Try them first before the event.

Then you can use your Speedlites on any ISO compliant hotshoe, just be sure to set it to the manual mode.

Perhaps also take your 40d with you. If film fails, you will have something great to show. 6.5fps, autofocus and good ISO 1600 can't be matched by film.

Which Pentax is it ?

You set the iso on the camera to the speed of the film you put in it.
Without going in to push processing and all that, if you buy iso 100 film, that is what you shoot it at pretty much, there is no changing iso once the film is loaded.
If you cant get shutter speed, you have to open the lens up, still can't get it ?...tripod.
:)

Thanks that makes sense. This is going to be interesting. You forgot to add after tripod -"and shout don't move!". :)

Camera is an 'ME Super' and will have an Asahi 28mmm f2.8 lens and possibly another but not sure on that yet.

Yes, if it 90s or later then it should auto detect ISO. Otherwise you will have to set manually but it is easy. Then you have to stick with that ISO for the whole film (in theory it could be rated to a different value and push processed but an ordinary lab won't do it).
Choose the film very carefully. For indoors maybe pick something ISO 400 and f/1.8 - f/2.8 aperture range. Be sure to use FRESH PRO film (like fuji PRO series, Kodak has their range). For people you may want lower contrast film like Fuji Sensia or Kodak Portra, etc or Ilford BW film.
The main difference between film and digital is sensitivity for highlights. With film it is very good idea to OVEREXPOSE 1/3 or even 2/3 stops.

Perhaps the most important factor is the processing lab. Some do a brilliant job, some pretty much ruin the film (thats why I gave up film), so choose very carefully and better spend extra. Try them first before the event.

Then you can use your Speedlites on any ISO compliant hotshoe, just be sure to set it to the manual mode.

Perhaps also take your 40d with you. If film fails, you will have something great to show. 6.5fps, autofocus and good ISO 1600 can't be matched by film.

Think it's pre 90s, but I should be ok setting it manually.

Do you normally order your film online, or do th elikes of jessops still stock these instore?

Thanks for your help, and I will definately have the 40D with me!

Why don't you take your DSLR as well, shoot with both - then offer to have the film developed for her... If things don't come out as well as you planned, just print off some shots from your DSLR, she need not know (and probably won't be able to tell)

If the film comes out ok, job's a good 'un... (y)

It has app priority metering, so your all set..provided it works..

The iso thing really isn't a problem in 99% of situations, only when you don't know the conditions can it become a problem.
Still, if you take a few speeds of film, its not any different to pushing buttons.

Check out the event venue, and meter it with the 40D, it'll give you a guide for film speed, you need to decide if its gonna be colour or b/w too..:)

Jessops stock some 35mm, it'll be cheaper online at 7Day or SilverPrint or somewhere.

Probably stating the obvious - but the batteries will almost certainly be dead.

You will need two LR44 button cells - get them in advance, they're fairly common but Sod's Law says you won't find them if you leave it to the last minute ;)

Why don't you take your DSLR as well, shoot with both - then offer to have the film developed for her... If things don't come out as well as you planned, just print off some shots from your DSLR, she need not know (and probably won't be able to tell)

If the film comes out ok, job's a good 'un... (y)

Sneaky but I like it! :clap:

Probably stating the obvious - but the batteries will almost certainly be dead.

You will need two LR44 button cells - get them in advance, they're fairly common but Sod's Law says you won't find them if you leave it to the last minute ;)

Good point - my sister has used it periodically so may be ok but id they are sods law dictates they'd die after the first shot. I'll get some ordered this week.

Thanks and thanks all for helping at this hour on a Sunday!

Al

Shoot colour negative film, for prints - which is probably what you want anyway.

If in doubt, over expose, as previously suggested. Colour neg film is extremely tolerant of over exposure. It's hard to go wrong on that score (y)

Get some Fuji Reala 100 for outdoor sunny, NPH400 for cloudy, some NPZ800 for indoor shots.

As a safe bet in most circumstances, shoot on ISO 800 colour print film. ISO 800 is good these days and at small print sizes everything will look just fine.

Thanks all, glad the 40D just takes the CF card!

I'll get looking into the film options. I have this bad feeling I'm going to change the ISO half way through the roll though...think I'll set it and tape it in place.

Makes me feel really old when you say you have never shot film in an SLR. :-(
When I take pictures of my kids on a 35mm film camera they ask to see the picture on the back of the camera. They look puzzled when I try to explain that they'll have to wait a week for the film to come back.

When I take pictures of my kids on a 35mm film camera they ask to see the picture on the back of the camera. They look puzzled when I try to explain that they'll have to wait a week for the film to come back.

To be fair, and I'm not sure this will help, but I think when I was around 8 or so I remember having an SLR for a while, and am pretty sure it would have been one of my grandads. I also remember waiting for the pictures to come back and finding half of them OOF and the other half completety black! Whereas now I just click a button to find out I have screwed up the exposure!

TBH I asked to have the camera early to make sure I could actually put the film in properly, I'd not even considered the different types!

Makes me feel the same... Had a interesting variation on the "picture on the back" story.

Lad next door was messing with his motorbike and asked my opinion on something. I gave it, then asked if I could grab a couple of photo's of the bike (for one of challenges a while ago). He said fine, so I grabbed my camera - EOS-3 35mm which was loaded with Black and White (HP5+ for those interested) and returned. Shot off a dozen or so pictures, and the roll finished.

He asked ot see the pictures, and I explained that it was on film, but, If he'd got half a hour or so, I'd show him them... So he washed up and came around and watched like a kid looking in a toyshop window while I did the whole developing bit! Eyes like saucers when he saw the neg's and those little pictures of his bike! Sadly, i've not got a wet printing setup, and scanning the negs and printing him a couple of 10x8's wasn't as interesting to watch, but he seemed pretty happy with the results. (I wasn't however, which is why they never saw the light of day on here :LOL:)

Back