DSLR to SLR

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I have always been Nikon DSLR always will and my film shooting has been from Canon to Cosina to Zenit to Rolleiflex( thanks Arthur) etc,etc,etc.
Now for the first time I have Nikon SLR,s not the best, but to me the first. Here is a picture.
DSC_4198a.jpg

They are both in wonderful condition to my eyes, the lenses by the way did not come with the sale, but a very well built Sirius zoom did, another subject.

The first question is.

Do you not think that the very small, almost compact EM( ladies camera) is good for street work, yes I now it is aperture only, but that is workable for street/city work?, I think on handling the camera it feels so good and sounds great. What say you.

The second is.

I no nothing about the F601, the old reviews seem excellent, the camera looks great and I will couple it with the Sigma 24mm AF macro that you see for landscape work is this realistic?

Kind regards,

Richard.

PS. Yes that is a piece of Wade in front open to offer,s :)

I have two 601s and enjoyed using both of them. However when I came to shoot film on them again after a few years storage both door catches failed within a week. Neither were kept in unusual conditions so I suspect there's a longevity issue with the plastic. I'd advise storing with the door open to relieve the dodgy plastic catch of continual spring pressure when closed.
The 601 was one of the earliest mass-market Nikons that had multi-metering options and a sorted autofocus system, the previous ones were hit and miss. Mine was usually linked to a Sigma AF 28mm f1.8 and it worked great, in fact the lens is a peach and still taking pictures (unlike the bodies).

The EM was unappreciated because it took Nikon into the popular market but there's nothing wrong with the camera or E lenses. It would make a good lightweight street shooter IMO. Click any half decent prime lens down a couple of stops and you'd be hard pressed to tell a Contax from a Petri under normal conditions, the quality limit is the 35mm neg, not the glass.

I have two 601s and enjoyed using both of them. However when I came to shoot film on them again after a few years storage both door catches failed within a week. Neither were kept in unusual conditions so I suspect there's a longevity issue with the plastic. I'd advise storing with the door open to relieve the dodgy plastic catch of continual spring pressure when closed.
The 601 was one of the earliest mass-market Nikons that had multi-metering options and a sorted autofocus system, the previous ones were hit and miss. Mine was usually linked to a Sigma AF 28mm f1.8 and it worked great, in fact the lens is a peach and still taking pictures (unlike the bodies).

The EM was unappreciated because it took Nikon into the popular market but there's nothing wrong with the camera or E lenses. It would make a good lightweight street shooter IMO. Click any half decent prime lens down a couple of stops and you'd be hard pressed to tell a Contax from a Petri under normal conditions, the quality limit is the 35mm neg, not the glass.

Well thank you for that and the EM does excite me for street work, I have already taken your advise on the F601 door, however under a powered scope I cannot see a plastic problem, but will adhere to the advise never the less. Thank you very much.

The door catch can only be one of two things, either dodgy plastic or a faulty design, or a combination of both. It's hard to tell but both of mine failed in identical ways, the bottom corner of the plastic catch was clipped off which suggests the spring in the catch mechanism is too hefty for it.

The only way to ensure a camera back is shut is to wait for the click and I've never had a problem with another model so I suspect there's an issue and fixing it is nigh on impossible. However I'll keep my eyes peeled for cheap donor bodies for replacement doors as the 601 is a useful camera in many ways.

Thumbs up for the EM as we have had this camera in the family for about 20 years and it has never let anyone down.

Back