DSLR too Heavy

Stephen L, I read that the 6600 has a better grip and houses a much larger battery. Critical according to the guy I spoke to yesterday who dumped his 6500 for mainly that reason. Focusing is better and the ISO and dynamic range slightly better. I do not need the 6600 Selfie feature and there is no built in flash with the 6600 which I consider to be an advantage as I would never use it so it is dead weight. The difference in price is about £200-£300 so no problem and I would not buy a used camera. Yes, the issue of the APSC and FF lenses v weight will be a factor in deciding whether the Sony A7C is realistic.

Dave

Stephen L, I read that the 6600 has a better grip and houses a much larger battery. Critical according to the guy I spoke to yesterday who dumped his 6500 for mainly that reason. Focusing is better and the ISO and dynamic range slightly better. I do not need the 6600 Selfie feature and there is no built in flash with the 6600 which I consider to be an advantage as I would never use it so it is dead weight. The difference in price is about £200-£300 so no problem and I would not buy a used camera. Yes, the issue of the APSC and FF lenses v weight will be a factor in deciding whether the Sony A7C is realistic.

Dave
I don’t have a problem with battery life, but then I switch off after every shot. The better grip may be true, but I’ve not experienced problems. I understand your reluctance to buy new - I bought mine “as new” with 10 clicks on it. Good luck with your choice - I don’t thing you will go wrong with what you’re selecting. :D

All three of my SLR's are heavy especially the F4 when fitted with the 35/70 F2,8 AFD lens, but it does make for a stable platform when using a slow shutter speed. When I am out walking I carry one film body with other lenses in a camera rucksack together with spare batteries, remote release and spare films The other film camera in a Lowepro holster bag slung over my shoulder. Yes it gets heavy but not uncomfortably so that I struggle. I also have a 'rifle sling' on my Manfrotto 55B tripod so really I am quite well balanced. On a longish walk it makes for a good workout - you never get cold!

Many thanks for advice and suggestions. I had the opportunity to discuss with a photographer who changed from Nikon to Sony last year and looked at a few reviews today. I have not made a final decision but favourites are the Sony A6600 and Sony A7C. The odd thing about the A7C is that it is slightly lighter than the 6600 yet FF. I am also pondering on lenses and the 18-135 looks attractive and also the 16-50 and 10-18 but it would be dependent on which camera I chose. In a sense it is a no brainer between the A6600 and A7C (for performance) but the A7C does cost quite a lot more. It certainly seems feasible to get excellent performance at half my current weight. I note that Black Friday is coming up so there may be a bargain to be had. If anyone has any comments on either of these cameras feel free and also if you think I am missing a much better alternative. I have ruled out Olympus (sorry) as I do not see a future for the company.

Dave
I got the original A7R for weight saving and it did the trick, I started using my camera a lot more than I did, it was mostly the bulk saving that I liked.
I'm now about to trade my A7R in for the A7C to gain AF ability and not gain too much weight.

The weight difference between the A6600 and A7C might be to do with the fancy magnesium monocoque style body.

Still being in pain from my last photoshoot chasing a Kingfisher, I have now ordered a Sony A6600 with 18-135mm lens plus a 35mm f1.8 and a Sigma mount converter for Canon.

Dave

Have you tried looking at different backpacks to help carry. The mass of the system on a decent backpack, adjusted properly shouldn't matter much as the backpack spreads the weight accross the shoulders, chest and waist. When hiking with this - my gear feels almost weightless.

Something like this?

Have you tried looking at different backpacks to help carry. The mass of the system on a decent backpack, adjusted properly shouldn't matter much as the backpack spreads the weight accross the shoulders, chest and waist. When hiking with this - my gear feels almost weightless.

Something like this?
Or alternatively go for a hiking backpack with a photo cube

Or alternatively go for a hiking backpack with a photo cube

A good suggestion. Anything that spreads the mass accross the back, chest, waist and shoulders comfortably works well. The OP has gone for a lighter system, which is great...but the carrying of it is vital for their ongoing health needs

I have such back packs and a harness already but it does not change the fact that it is still too heavy. It was lighter equipment or give up photography. It is sorted now so I am down to 600 to 800 gm depending on lens. I was not going to bother with the canon lens converter but bought it anyway. If I needed to use my Sigma 10-20mm or Canon 70-200mm I could still do so on the A6600. This might be feasible if in a fixed set up (e.g. studio, garden or Time line event) when I would probably be using a tripod anyway.

Dave

I agree, backpacks are essential for any sort of distance, but just carrying a camera on a local walk, for instance, puts weight on the shoulders (and no, I’ve found sling backs to be troublesome to the shoulder), weight of equipment is important relative to the abilities and comfort of the individual.

Back