DSLR Upgrade

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using an Olympus E510 for over a year now and would like to upgrade. I usually take motorsport photographs and have been looking at both the Canon D50 and the Nikon D300. I have read that the D300 would be good for this type of use. Before I jump in I would appreciate the views of those more experienced than me and as such I would be grateful for your comments on the cameras above or others which may fit the bill. As for budget say £2000 -2500 but this would have to include a decent lens.

regards

Regarding the lens first.
As you know your own photography better than any of us, what focal length do you use most often (35mm equivalent)?
Is it long enough? or short enough even?

Welcome to the forum.

I checked back on a recent rally and noted a range of 200 - 400 with a few nearer 500 (35mm equiv.) I have also noted 80 to 150 on another.
At present I have kit lenses as follows: 40-150 and 70 - 300 and with the Olympus this would double to give 35mm equiv.

Cheers

Well, to get 500mm in 35mm terms, you need 333mm on a D300.
Basically when you start to go over 300mm it gets pricey, the 80-400 springs to mind but it focuses a little too slowly for motorsport really.
It depends how much you think you need that near to 500mm mark.

I note that the 80 - 400 has similar aperture to the 70 - 300 I am using at present. I did actually think of picking spots closer to the action and maybe looking at the likes of the 70 - 200 F2.8 VR. Is there any real advantage on the better aperture, all be it a shorter lens. However at circuits maybe the 80 - 400 would be better. I am really quite confused as regards lenses. Maybe both the 70 - 200 and 80 - 400, even I had to buy one later. On last rally I used the 70 - 300 all day, in the morning it was really sunny and I am happy with the photos but in the after noon it was dull and raining. The change in weather was quite noticable in the photos. In the morning I was set to iso 200 and 1/400 with the aperture at around F9 but in the afternoon I was using iso 400 and 1/320 with the aperture at F5.6. I assumed that a lens with better aperture (F2.8) would give me a bit more control when the light goes. With the Olympus the photos seem to go grainy at iso 400 and above. I am blaming the camera but maybe it's me.?
I would appreciate your comments on the above.

Cheers

If you can afford a 70-200VR then go for it, it's a great lens for motorsport if you can get close enough, it works well with a 1.4x teleconverter too. That lot would add up to 420mm in 35mm terms, and at f/4 aswell.

I would expect Oly photo's to be quite noisy due to the sensor size, that is guesswork not experience though.

The body, lens and TC will be at the thick end of your budget, but you could hold off on the TC and still take photo's.
I think you'd have to consider a wide zoom too though.

Cyclone, Your views have been of great help in my decision. If I go down the D300 route, which looks more likely, then I would budget in the near future for a 17-55 F2.8. This should do for the closer motorsport work and any other photography.
One other question: are there any benefits in using Primes lenses or do most use zooms for motorsport.?

regards

Glad to be of help.
The general opinion, and virtually fact, is that primes are sharper and are quite often faster.
I honestly don't think I've ever seen anybody using a long prime at a local motorsports event. It's only when you get to the big circuits with very difficult access that you start to see pro togs with massive prime lenses.

I'm lucky enough to get trackside at my local hillclimb venue, last year I was next to a photojournalist who pulled out a D300 and 70-200VR, got his shot in about 15 mins and disappeared!

At this point I'll put forward a used Canon 40D (£400?)with a 70-200 L F/2.8 and a 1.4x TC, that'll give you an affective focal range of 112mm (without tc) to 448mm (with tc). You could even go for the same body with a 70-200mm L F/4 non-IS, and squeeze a 400mm L f/5.6 USM prime in there with the teleconverter and be within budget.

Just had a look at the 40D and really it should be compared with the D90 not the D300. It looks to be more than the £400 mark too. Plus the OP did specify D300 or 50D, a wise choice given his budget and main subject.
I know that some Canon motorsport shooters have gone Nikon as at the moment it is felt that the focus system is currently better with Nikon.

It is a fair point that Canon's f/4 glass looks very cost effective though, I wonder how many people on here wish they had skipped the f/4 and gone for the f/2.8? I know I wish I had gone with more expensive glass from the off, as upgrading is quite painful!

Sorry, I missed the 50D in the first post. I've not used a 50D to be able to comment on it directly, my opinion from everything that I read online is that its not worth another £400 on top of a 40D, when that £400 could be spent on glass, or on a used 1D2 variant body.

Putting that to one side though, you can get a 50D body, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L USM and a 1.4x teleconverter for circa £2600 from Amazon. If you were to do some shopping around you could get hold of the same kit for less obviously.

40d is older version of 50d and there isn't the hugest of differences between them, obv 50d is better but not by miles.......

Another vote for the 40D/50D.

Cyclone,
I finally made up my mind a couple of weeks ago and went for the D300, Grip and 70-200 F2.8. I have had it out to a few events and I am really pleased with the results.:) I have used the combination both with a monopod and hand held. I was really pleased with both results. Boy is it heavy compared to the old Olympus. Anyway I would just like to thank you for your comments which went a good way to me making the decision.

Regards

Excellent (y)
Again, glad I could help, and obviously I'm happy that it's lead you to a decision you're happy with. Mind you who would be disappointed with a D300 and 70-200!
I bet it does feel heavy compared to your Oly setup! Smoother pans with a heavier rig though :D
I really feel you've made a great choice, I'm sat here with telescoping lenses that are excellent but always leave me wondering if I could be getting more from 70-200VR's and the like.

I'm chuffed you've made a personal reply a month down the line, a lot of people are not as polite as you, I wish you many great shots with your new toys!

Cyclone,
I have posted some photos from a Sprint I attended last weekend within the Motorsport section. I would appreciate your comments, good or bad.

Regards

Back