DSLR Video Stabilizer

Not used it myself but I've watched a couple of YouTube videos. Looks quite good.

I thought the same, just trying to get some feedback for a user rather than a supplier

I know what you mean, they must improve stability to a certain extent, but I suppose once you reach that point any more improvement means spending the extra money.

I think for the odd bit of filming they must be beneficial

I bought a Lensse stabiliser which is similar to that one. All of them work on the exact same principle and that's what makes them tricky to master.

You have to get the centre of gravity absolutely 100% perfect or they'll be useless and the camera will flop around in a hopeless manner. The super expensive ones offer more options for fine tuning but still won't be any more ready to rock straight out of the box.

On mine a milimetre or less of adjustment in a particular direction makes the difference between brilliant and god awful. Of course every time you change lens or stick something on the hot shoe you'll need to rebalance.

You also have to concentrate on the way you move and train yourself accordingly if you're walking around with it otherwise even a perfectly balanced one won't look very good. It's surprising how much your body moves around when you review a shot.

It's definitely worth trying one but if you're expecting instant seamless gliding you'll be disappointed. A few hours of practice and experimentation will make all the difference.

In terms of budget ones they're all pretty much the same. One of the most important elements is the gimbal linking the handle to the rest of the stabiliser and the cheapo ones all come up short on that front. It might be worth looking up DIY designs which utilise bearings for the gimbal.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info, good to hear some proper real life feedback

I havent invested yet, but was thinking about it still, would be nice to go and have a play with one, not sure where I would be able to find one though

I would be interested to see how you get on with this, looks like its about £70 from amazon

Last edited:
I have a cheap brand flycam/glidecam style stabiliser. For the money it's a great bit of kit to have in your bag.

Pros - produces some really nice smooth moving shots that you just can't get holding the camera by hand

Cons - Takes some practise to set up and actually use it + they're heavy for continued use unless you have the additional arm brace (which I may consider getting)

I'm using a Canon 70D and with the wide angle, 50mm & 24mm lens it's great but stick a big heavy piece of glass on it and you can really start to feel the strain.

Last edited:
I have a cheaper one £60/70. To be honest, I rarely use it as it isn't that user friendly, and doesn't produce footage that is much better than using handheld properly.

I want to get a decent gimbal at some point, as these things feel like a waste of money (even when spending a great deal of time to learn how to use).

Anybody have any experience of using something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEVENOAK-..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3ccbe69871

Just wanted to get some feedback really as I thought it would be good for filming the kids

If you are still looking for one and near bexhill on sea you can try mine first .I have only used it about twice as i don't use it any more

Ioe1hS2.jpg

wKQkBau.jpg

Last edited:
Back