Dual Camera Shooting

If I was to get a second camera which of the following would you recommend? (Nikon Only)

• D810 (A 2nd one)

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • D610

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • D750

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Wait for possible D760/D820/Mirrorless camera?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stick it out with the cameras I have and just change lenses faster lol

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
Hey folks, I'm just wondering how many of you shoot dual cameras for the likes of family/wedding shoots? I have a D810 and a D7100 but thinking on getting a second FF camera to leave it quicker instead of changing lenses mid shoot. Can anyone recommend or perhaps oppose this idea? if so why. Thanks in advance.

Go for a second 810 if that's in the budget. Same setup, two different lenses demanding on the situation.
What he said.

I've shot with 2 different cameras and it's perfectly doable, but if you're moving away from that, the obvious answer is 2 identical bodies.

I use two of the same, the D750, this means I never have to think which button is which as they are exactly the same - so in your case another D810 would be the sensible choice for ease of use

However - the D810 is far too high a resolution for a Wedding camera with resulting files that are too huge to be sensible too

In truth, no-one really needs even the 24mp I have and unless I have a double-page spread on a 25x35cm album I'm always 'throwing away' the resolution I already have; to have 12mp more is pointless IMHO

So my choice - defo use two of the same make, but sell both your D810 and the D7100 and buy two D750 or wait for the D760 and buy two of those

Dave

I use a 610 and 750 which are very similar together. There's a few improvements on the 750 but they work well.

I'd also think about how you want to carry them too. Some like dual straps, but they do swing around and so I personally prefer the Spider Pro system as the camera that isn't being used is securely strapped to the waist which I also like.

Go for a second 810 if that's in the budget. Same setup, two different lenses demanding on the situation.
Its not exactly in the budget but it does make sense.

What he said.

I've shot with 2 different cameras and it's perfectly doable, but if you're moving away from that, the obvious answer is 2 identical bodies.

Yea 2 different bodies could be perhaps more hassle than 2 of same model.

I use two of the same, the D750, this means I never have to think which button is which as they are exactly the same - so in your case another D810 would be the sensible choice for ease of use

However - the D810 is far too high a resolution for a Wedding camera with resulting files that are too huge to be sensible too

In truth, no-one really needs even the 24mp I have and unless I have a double-page spread on a 25x35cm album I'm always 'throwing away' the resolution I already have; to have 12mp more is pointless IMHO

So my choice - defo use two of the same make, but sell both your D810 and the D7100 and buy two D750 or wait for the D760 and buy two of those

Dave

I was thinking of selling and going for 2x 750's but not sure what I would get for my 810, I do agree the file sizes are massive and are overkill for weddings. Also a bugger to load even with a fast modern PC.

I use a 610 and 750 which are very similar together. There's a few improvements on the 750 but they work well.

I'd also think about how you want to carry them too. Some like dual straps, but they do swing around and so I personally prefer the Spider Pro system as the camera that isn't being used is securely strapped to the waist which I also like.

Yea a dual strap was on the cards but Ill give this Spider Pro system a look that you recommended, maybe it would suit my needs.

There's plenty of people that shoot different bodies, it wouldn't bother me, depends how you shoot. Reckon you'd soon get used to it, depends whether you want to make do or move things around, certainly try it out. The 810 potentially is superb but the 750 would give you more manageable files and better AF, swings and roundabouts.

PS. If you want a quality dual strap there's a Moneymaker in the classifieds [emoji6]

And to quantify the way I shoot (where I don't think it would make much difference) is that both are set up to shoot in aperture with auto ISO and min shutter selected. Focus point selection is the same and so really don't need to change much on the fly. Manual for later on indoors with flash but both 'scenes' are saved to U1 & U2. My quick menus are set up exactly the same way/order too for speed/ease. But this may not be how you shoot..

Last edited:
I was going to upgrade my FF body last year....ended keeping the old one so now shoot with both for events and sports. It's a big benefit. Dual strap I use is from pro SLR.

There's plenty of people that shoot different bodies, it wouldn't bother me, depends how you shoot. Reckon you'd soon get used to it, depends whether you want to make do or move things around, certainly try it out. The 810 potentially is superb but the 750 would give you more manageable files and better AF, swings and roundabouts.
Yea I seen a few but wanted to speak to people who had first hand experience of using dual cameras. Also you dont happen to have a link to it in the classified? Cant seem to find it.

That said, when I have a dual camera situation I use a D700 and a D750. Both are excellent. I just have to remember that the 750 menu setup is more like my D7000 than the D700.
Thats good to know, Im used to my 7000 also so perhaps the 750 would be ok for me to use too.

Whats it like for the dual setup, do you guys find it handier for the likes of functions/ weddings etc or do some of you just work with 1 camera and another as backup?

I have two bodies (5D2 and 5D3), 24-105 on one, 70-200 on the other. One is attached Peak Design Slide sling strap, the other clipped to a B-Grip Evo belt and clip. No unnecessary swinging about, and the weight is well distributed. This means I have both cameras in grabbing distance wherever I am, and keep lens changes to a minimum (y)

I have used D200 and D70s, then D300s and D200, now two D750s. The only thing that bothered me prior to the current setup was the ISO capabilities of those previous cameras. Aside from that, the difference in menu setup wasn't an issue. I use a dual rapid strap throughout with a body and 70-200mm one side and a wide lens on other.

i use a d750 with the short lens usually nikon 17-35 or the nikon 24-70 and a d500 with nikon 70- 200 or my nikon 200-500 with a 1.7 tc attached best of both worlds
and I'm as happy as larry
they are attached to a doube black rapid strap which has adjustable clips so the don't swing

Two lenses - Tamron 24-70 or Nikon 24-120 and Nikon 80-200 on either a D750 or D700. Both held up with a Black Rapid Double Strap. I will admit that with both cameras and lenses it gets a bit heavy. It doesn't help that there have been moderate/severe health challenges in the last three years.

Yea I seen a few but wanted to speak to people who had first hand experience of using dual cameras. Also you dont happen to have a link to it in the classified? Cant seem to find it.

Ah, seems to have been taken off, was there the other day?

Thanks guys, I currently have a 24-70 and a 70-200 setup and I think that's why I would like 2 cameras, however 1 major off put for me is the weight, the D810 and lens is quite heavy already but then to have another attached then to my belt. I will admit I miss the odd shot that I want to take because I'm changing lenses. Got all the shots that the customer wanted but some candid ones.

These are the two lenses I'm using with the twin setup plus canon 5Dm3 and 4. These are similar in weight to your Nikon and with twin over the shoulder straps I've not found that a problem.

1 tip, sync your camera clock the day before or you might find your photo in the library way out of wack.

The new 5D4 actually do it automatically now if you have GPS turned on but in the past I've found that one camera would be slightly out of the other by a tiny bit and over the days and week the differences gets larger. Even a minute or so apart would be silly in terms of chronology so sync your cameras!

Even if they don't reflect the real world time, as long as they are the same, it's the most important thing.

Twin cameras with prime lenses is the future, or the past...I've always done it this way for years. Wouldn't go back any other way.
This^
The more traditional way of working might be a 24-70 and 70-200 but I love the 35/135 combo.

1 tip, sync your camera clock the day before or you might find your photo in the library way out of wack.

The new 5D4 actually do it automatically now if you have GPS turned on but in the past I've found that one camera would be slightly out of the other by a tiny bit and over the days and week the differences gets larger. Even a minute or so apart would be silly in terms of chronology so sync your cameras!

Even if they don't reflect the real world time, as long as they are the same, it's the most important thing.

Before every wedding. Takes 2 minutes, whereas changing shots in post can take an age.

Good tip re GPS (y)

This^
The more traditional way of working might be a 24-70 and 70-200 but I love the 35/135 combo.

Before every wedding. Takes 2 minutes, whereas changing shots in post can take an age.

Good tip re GPS (y)

I always do this before every wedding. but it only takes 5 minutes in post anyway in LR if you do muck it up.

I always do this before every wedding. but it only takes 5 minutes in post anyway in LR if you do muck it up.

I remember having to amend the metadata when I set the one an hour behind by accident somehow. You can change relatively easily but I won't make that mistake again in a hurry.

Currently I use the 24-70 and 70-200 as well as the 35 1.4. Seems to work pretty well but occasionally whe I have the 24-70 I miss some candid shots because I dont have the 70-200 on hence why i thought of getting a second body. Any now with the recalls of the 750 Im having my doubts about it.

I remember having to amend the metadata when I set the one an hour behind by accident somehow. You can change relatively easily but I won't make that mistake again in a hurry.

You just change your filter in Library to the camera in question, select all images, change the time on one to the correct one, and it time-shifts all of them.

You just change your filter in Library to the camera in question, select all images, change the time on one to the correct one, and it time-shifts all of them.

Better not have to do that because you are kinda guessing the exact seconds by looking at a photo, knowing this was taken between this other 2 and place it in between.

It's not the end of the world but can be wholly avoided in the first place.

Better not have to do that because you are kinda guessing the exact seconds by looking at a photo, knowing this was taken between this other 2 and place it in between.

It's not the end of the world but can be wholly avoided in the first place.

Oh I agree, mine are always synced, but it doesn't have to be a time consuming process to switch them all if you do make the mistake is all I meant :)

It wasn't so bad when I goofed this as I wasn't shooting side by side much at all, it's relatively easy to sort but takes you 10 minutes working it out [emoji20]

Back