Dual Flash for Macro.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently using a Tamron 90mm with a full set of AF extension tubes on my Sony A700. My light source is a single Jessops 360AFD on a 'C' flash bracket. The flash is normally situated on the left side of the lens which is obviously resulting in a slight shadow cast. I can obviously alter the flash (so it is above the lens, aiming straight down at the insect..etc) however ive been wondering about trying to change the flash setup completely to a dual flash setup.

There is the option of the 'Sony HVL-MT24AM', which Jessops have up for £600, however i couldnt justify spending that amount at the moment.

I did some searching on the net and came across this on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34406224@N03/3316990928/

Its a custom bracket with 2x Smith Victor slave flashes, fired using the 'HVL-F56'.

I've not used slave flashes before?? If i bought 2 small flashes like the ones above and used my 360AFD to fire them, do they always fire at full power :thinking::thinking:

Ive already got another 'C' bracket, so with the 2 i can make an 'O' bracket to attach 2 flashguns. My only concern would be the physical size of the slave flashguns (Would really need them to be as compact a possible due to the current weight)

Any help would be much appreciated. (y)

Have a look at the Yongnuo YN460 flash guns. They are designed to be used as slaves, have built in optical sensors and manual ajustment from Full to 1/64 power. I have 3 of them and very useful for all sorts of things.

Have a look at the Yongnuo YN460 flash guns. They are designed to be used as slaves, have built in optical sensors and manual ajustment from Full to 1/64 power. I have 3 of them and very useful for all sorts of things.

Thanks (y) but the YN460 is just as big as my 360AFD and i'm looking into mounting 2 flashguns on an 'O' bracket, so the Yongnuo would be WAY to big.

The 'Smith Victor' slaves that were used in the above DIY are only: 30 x 61 x 76mm.

I asked the seller and his answer is: YN 460II will be too heavy, so I need to find something different

Sony HVL-MT24AM is only £499 direct from sony online so not sure about Jessops price !!

Well, I have 2x YN 460II, Metz 48, and RF 602 so I don't wanna to spend money on flashes, some good bracket for macro will be better option IMO

Back