1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. The Boys

The Boys

Name:
    Melissa
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi

I have a canon 5d Mrk 111, shoot to 2 memory cards (raw to the Compact & jpg to the sd).

Going through the images, there appears to be 5 sequential (think that's the right word) missing ie 10005 - 10010 , images either side are fine.

If I have accidentally deleted them, they would only be gone from the prime card ...is that correct ? However they are gone on both.

It appears I may have changed cards (compact) at that point but if the card is not inserted correctly would it not have shot to the sd card ? If the "door" was not shut properly, again would I have got an warning message.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, but I am a tad baffled.

Cheers

2. andrewc

andrewc

Name:
    Andrew Cliffe
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    IIRC If you delete from one, it deletes from the card that is nominated for playback.

3. The Boys

The Boys

Name:
    Melissa
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks, so why would it go from both then....

4. andrewc

andrewc

Name:
    Andrew Cliffe
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The images could have been corrupted whilst writing. Are you looking on the card directly, or from your import of images from the card - maybe they didn't import for some reason?

5. The Boys

The Boys

Name:
    Melissa
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Both, card and the imports.

The reason why I think it was when I changed Compact cards, was the last image is on one card, then the next is on a different card, its the 5 ish in between that are missing. Am sure Ive not actually lost the card itself as its only 5 images and the jgs images on the sd card run in sequence (1 of 200, 2 of 200 3 of 200 etc etc) its the actual image names that have the gap.

Lifes little mystery, along with od socks and missing tea spoons !

6. The Boys

The Boys

Name:
    Melissa
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Just popped in to Jessops, apparently if the door is left open, the camera will still fire but not record the image....I am now convinced this is what I may have done... what a wally !!!!

7. andrewc

andrewc

Name:
    Andrew Cliffe
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I’m don’t recall being able to do that with any Canon I’ve owned.

8. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As Andrew says, I really dont think so.

9. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Nikons (and probably many others) have a setting that allows it to shoot w/o a card. But doing so puts it into "demo mode" (jpegs in the buffer) and the image review pops up with a big red "demo" in the corner (even if turned off).
    I doubt something like that's likely.

I know the camera will start numbering new images based upon whatever the last image number is on the card (i.e. if the card isn't formatted), but that also sounds kind of unlikely. But I can't think of anything obvious that would lead to 5 sequential images being lost on 2 cards... the only thing I can think of would be pulling/changing the battery before the buffer cleared.

10. andrewc

andrewc

Name:
    Andrew Cliffe
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Canons have a shoot without card option, but I’ve not come across something that allows you to shoot with the card flap open

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  11. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hmm, none of my cameras care if the door is open...

12. cosmicma

cosmicma

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    all canon cameras i have owned to the best of my knowledge and memory will not allow you to take a photo with the memory card door open
    iv'e never owned the 5d3 but have owned the 5d1 and 2 but i can't see it being any different for the 5d3

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Im confused about this post. Are you saying you can do this, or just that you were told you can? If the latter then surely the former will tell if you can or not.

Im with the others though, you cant, as when the door is open the camera turns off.

The only thing i can add to this is that if you have slot 2 set as the playback slot, and close the door without the SD card in, the camera does default to slot 1 for shooting and playback automatically. This of course has nothing to do with your issue, i just thought i would point it out.

14. GreenNinja67

GreenNinja67

Name:
    Terry
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

the surprising thing is Jessops actually know the answer to a camera related question.

mistagain1 likes this.
  15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    More surprised Jesspos knew what a camera was.......

mistagain1 likes this.
  16. Archie747

Archie747

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Steady on boys, there are not many camera shops left on our high streets.

17. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    High street? Is that like the internet only more expensive lol ;-)

Park Cameras is a camera shop, Jessops is a shop that happens to also sells cameras.

18. Archie747

Archie747

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I don't disagree, but for some people they have no other choice. I have not used Park Cameras but the LCE branches I have visited have knowledgeable and helpful staff.

19. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was only half serious. Personally I do all my research on line so never need advice from a shop, but I realize some people do and have no other choice.

I find its not the shops themselves, but the staff that can give good or bad advice. Ive had both good and poor advice from supposedly knowledgeable staff in camera shops.