Dual memory card issue

Name
Melissa
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have a canon 5d Mrk 111, shoot to 2 memory cards (raw to the Compact & jpg to the sd).

Going through the images, there appears to be 5 sequential (think that's the right word) missing ie 10005 - 10010 , images either side are fine.

If I have accidentally deleted them, they would only be gone from the prime card ...is that correct ? However they are gone on both.

It appears I may have changed cards (compact) at that point but if the card is not inserted correctly would it not have shot to the sd card ? If the "door" was not shut properly, again would I have got an warning message.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, but I am a tad baffled.

Cheers

Both, card and the imports.

The reason why I think it was when I changed Compact cards, was the last image is on one card, then the next is on a different card, its the 5 ish in between that are missing. Am sure Ive not actually lost the card itself as its only 5 images and the jgs images on the sd card run in sequence (1 of 200, 2 of 200 3 of 200 etc etc) its the actual image names that have the gap.

Lifes little mystery, along with od socks and missing tea spoons !

Just popped in to Jessops, apparently if the door is left open, the camera will still fire but not record the image....I am now convinced this is what I may have done... what a wally !!!!

Just popped in to Jessops, apparently if the door is left open, the camera will still fire but not record the image....I am now convinced this is what I may have done... what a wally !!!!
As Andrew says, I really dont think so.

Nikons (and probably many others) have a setting that allows it to shoot w/o a card. But doing so puts it into "demo mode" (jpegs in the buffer) and the image review pops up with a big red "demo" in the corner (even if turned off).
I doubt something like that's likely.

I know the camera will start numbering new images based upon whatever the last image number is on the card (i.e. if the card isn't formatted), but that also sounds kind of unlikely. But I can't think of anything obvious that would lead to 5 sequential images being lost on 2 cards... the only thing I can think of would be pulling/changing the battery before the buffer cleared.

all canon cameras i have owned to the best of my knowledge and memory will not allow you to take a photo with the memory card door open
iv'e never owned the 5d3 but have owned the 5d1 and 2 but i can't see it being any different for the 5d3

Im confused about this post. Are you saying you can do this, or just that you were told you can? If the latter then surely the former will tell if you can or not.

Im with the others though, you cant, as when the door is open the camera turns off.

The only thing i can add to this is that if you have slot 2 set as the playback slot, and close the door without the SD card in, the camera does default to slot 1 for shooting and playback automatically. This of course has nothing to do with your issue, i just thought i would point it out.

the surprising thing is Jessops actually know the answer to a camera related question.

I don't disagree, but for some people they have no other choice. I have not used Park Cameras but the LCE branches I have visited have knowledgeable and helpful staff.

I was only half serious. Personally I do all my research on line so never need advice from a shop, but I realize some people do and have no other choice.

I find its not the shops themselves, but the staff that can give good or bad advice. Ive had both good and poor advice from supposedly knowledgeable staff in camera shops.

Back