Duck watching lake while on a wooden plank going out onto a lake and a mapple leaf

onikami

Suspended / Banned
Name
Sir Oni
Edit My Images
Yes
Took these two pics while on holiday in Lake Bled-Slovenia a few das ago.

c&c welcome of any type. Dont matter if you dont know jack about photography.

thiefmypic.jpg

thiefmypicII.jpg

The duck is utterly fantastic! Lovely background.

Well I like them both.(y)
There will be purists who will find tecnical faults and maybe give you guidence on how to do it better next time, but is that not the point about the site.:shrug:

Your title sounds a bit like an early Pink Floyd track! :D

I like the composition of the leaf but the rest of it doesn't do much for me, I think it's too contrasty.

I love the top half of the lake pic, but I'm not sure about how the blue mists blend (or not) with the yellow leaves at the bottom. I think the light's maybe a bit harsh.

I like them, but I am a bit biased because Lake Bled is one of my favourite places :)

In the first I'd probably tone down the foreground, add a graduated filter in PS to darken it and maybe take the saturation of the leaves down a touch. Draw more attention to the duck and the landscape. Or maybe just crop a bit off the bottom :shrug:

There will be purists who will find tecnical faults and maybe give you guidence on how to do it better next time, but is that not the point about the site.:shrug:

Yes it is!
If you post in the critique section then others will do just that, be critical about your images, good or bad. They should also sugest ways to improve your technique etc.
If you don't want critique, then you should post your images in Photo's for Pleasure.
As has been said above, the foreground in #1 does nothing for me, but the mountains behind (top half) would be great on their own.
The leaf in #2 is spot on for me.
However, I will give the prize for the title, possibly the longest one on TP for a long time!!

Last edited:
#1 - great effort but looks much better imo if the bottom is cropped off, taking it to a panoramic crop, eliminating the areas of jetty where the flash has caught it.

#2 - doesn't for anything for me tbh - too much texture not enough depth, looks flat. :shrug:

Looks like a scene from a Harry Potter movie, just before they get on the boat to Hogwalts, nice photo

The duck is utterly fantastic! Lovely background.

Cheers. (y)

Thanks!

Your title sounds a bit like an early Pink Floyd track! :D

I like the composition of the leaf but the rest of it doesn't do much for me, I think it's too contrasty.

I love the top half of the lake pic, but I'm not sure about how the blue mists blend (or not) with the yellow leaves at the bottom. I think the light's maybe a bit harsh.

Cheers.

It's november, so the conditions were more or less what you see in the pic (with some processing ;)). The colour of the leaves have been bumped a bit as they are a bit flat without it.

I like them, but I am a bit biased because Lake Bled is one of my favourite places :)

In the first I'd probably tone down the foreground, add a graduated filter in PS to darken it and maybe take the saturation of the leaves down a touch. Draw more attention to the duck and the landscape. Or maybe just crop a bit off the bottom :shrug:

Lake Bled is a beauty of a place!

I did boost the colour of the leaves a tad. I never thought about cropping the bottom. :thinking: Will play with it a see. (y)

As has been said above, the foreground in #1 does nothing for me, but the mountains behind (top half) would be great on their own.
The leaf in #2 is spot on for me.
However, I will give the prize for the title, possibly the longest one on TP for a long time!!

Another vote on possible crop to focus on the mountain. I will defo play on this and see how it looks.

As for the title, I was struggling to think of something so just went with the exactl how I saw the pic :D

#1 - great effort but looks much better imo if the bottom is cropped off, taking it to a panoramic crop, eliminating the areas of jetty where the flash has caught it.

#2 - doesn't for anything for me tbh - too much texture not enough depth, looks flat. :shrug:

(y)

Will defo crop # 1.

Looks like a scene from a Harry Potter movie, just before they get on the boat to Hogwalts, nice photo

Cheers!

Strangely I'm with her ^^^ :LOL:

It's a nearly shot - as in you nearly got it right :D

DD

OK. Super quick crop. Is this more or less the route I should be taking?

ducky3.jpg

i liked the 1st one as i like the darkness of it (not that i know what the hell im on about) but i do like the crop! (this is where you tell me you havent played with the brightness) !!

Cheers, chaps.

Looks like I may have played with the processing with the 1st one a tad more than I realised? Or I might have processed the second one differently? Cant remember what I did with the 1st one as my photoshop skills are basic level.

But I am sure the conditions were quiet a lot like what I did in the pic. But anyway.

But will defo keep trying again and wont give up that easily!

Last edited:
With the crop I think the impact of the golden leaves against the moody mountains is lost. I much prefer the original. Made me go, Wow.

I love the rustic feel to the second one. Great stuff. (y)

With the crop I think the impact of the golden leaves against the moody mountains is lost. I much prefer the original. Made me go, Wow.

I love the rustic feel to the second one. Great stuff. (y)

Cheers, Vantage. When I flick between the two, I do keep going back to the original. :D

I'm gonna show it to this Italian girl I know and get her opinion on it. A photography graduate with a small gallery, she is the only photographer I know personally. Should be interesting to see which one she goes for. :D

I'm gonna show it to this Italian girl I know and get her opinion on it. A photography graduate with a small gallery...
I like large galleries myself :naughty:

Prefer the original shot myself btw,although you'd get the (y) just on title alone :D

Crop is 42 billion and a half times better :). Still like the original...

Cheers. (y)

One of those pics, where I just cannot make up my mind.

Back