Duck

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I took this yesterday and can't help thinking there's something not right about it. Slight adjustment to levels on duck itself, no crop. Tear it to bits guys :)

verticalduck.jpg

I did Duck, now I can't see the monitor.

What immediately jumps out at me is the Bokeh isn't 'pleasing'.
The water reflections were so close to the main subject I don't know if you would be able to get a better DOF though and any attempt to sharpen the slightly out of focus main subject would worsen the background unless you used a selective sharpening method.

I think I would struggle with this one.

It is difficult to focus on the duck itself, not sure if its oof or just not enough contrast for it to stand out.

What a shame. I think it's just a case of the duck not being critically sharp. It seems to be purely a focus error without any slight camera shake being involved.

Which focus method were you using? If it was the one shot method don't forget that when you compose your shot and half press the shutter button, focus is locked as long as you keep the shutter button depressed. If you hang around too long before taking the shot it's very possible for even the slightest movement of the subject or yourself to mean that locked focus position is no longer accurate. For that reason, if I have a subject in the viewfinder and I'm waiting to actually take the shot, I'll keep releasing and half depressing the shutter to reconfirm the point of focus.

When you're using long lenses it's particularly easy for the slightest backwards or forwards movement of your body to cause you to lose critical focus from a locked focus position, which is why I like to release the button completely and do a complete smooth depression with only a slight pause halfway to confirm focus before actually taking the shot.

The reason I think this may have happened is that the focus point seems to be slightlly in front of your duck., and I've had this happen to me more than once.

*Waits for Doddy to say it was in servo mode*:D

thanks for the comments, I'm not sure how out of focus it is. here's a 100% crop, unprocessed.

verticalduckcrop.jpg

Back