Dukeries Rally (a week late) - Jamie Blandford

Name
Jamie Blandford
Edit My Images
No
Another very late set for me I'm afraid! Had a fantastic day last Saturday, great weather and some bloody great action!

Sorry in advance for the amount of photo, couldn't really narrow them down as so many 1400s had moments at this particular location. However each car is doing something different to the next...

#1 "Slippy" and Ella Flynn sticking the Ignis into a hole
Dukeries09_01.jpg

#2 Justin Lawson and Paul Hargreaves having a big moment
Dukeries09_02.jpg

#3 Callum Black and Paul Wakely lucky not to damage the car too much
Dukeries09_03.jpg

#4 Clive Anstey and Pamela Hilton making the dirt fly
Dukeries09_04.jpg

#5 Reg Davies and Jonny Evans sliding wide but managing to avoid the bank
Dukeries09_05.jpg

#6 David Bennett and Alistair McNeil keeping it nailed and bouncing off the bank
Dukeries09_06.jpg

#7 Roy Gravestock and Tim Ball nearly spinning
Dukeries09_07.jpg

#8 Sion and Gary Matthews crawling out the stage after a big roll!
Dukeries09_08.jpg

#9 Martha Aitken and Paul Hudson bouncing high off the bank
Dukeries09_09.jpg

#10 Dafydd Williams and Phil Spilsted entering the hole
Dukeries09_10.jpg

More to follow...

Last edited:
#11 Richard Lane and Frank Richer on a charge
Dukeries09_11a.jpg

#12 Richard Arrowsmith and Roger Midwood on a big drift in their Safari looking Mk I
Dukeries09_11.jpg

#13 Andy Burton and Shelley Rogeron trying to power away from the bank
Dukeries09_12.jpg

#14 Will Nicholls and Nick Broom very sideways
Dukeries09_13.jpg

#15 Thomas Naughton and Horace Saville pounding the bank
Dukeries09_14.jpg

#16 Rob Lowe and Lee Carters Metro getting beached. Chucked the camera down and helped push after this!
Dukeries09_15.jpg

#17 Jon Ballinger and Alistair Douglas bouncing off the bank
Dukeries09_16.jpg

#18 Andy Ewings and Matt Cousins shot by a new TP member
Dukeries09_17.jpg

#19 Charlie Payne and Craig Thorney jumping well. Probably my favourite shot of the bunch!
Dukeries09_18.jpg

#20 Mad Mick Jones and Dale Furniss getting the rear end airbourne
Dukeries09_19.jpg

Last one!

#21 Gavin Collyer and Charlotte Banner getting a little air
Dukeries09_20.jpg

Comments and crit great appreciated. Would prefer it if you could leave something a little more constructive than just "nice shots" or similar please! ;)

I don't expect crit for all images, just pick 10, or just a few that stand out or are flawed!

Cheers,

Last edited:
1-7: as a group, all well caught, and thought out, like how the dust trail heads from top left corner to car in bottom right corner, nice composition, draws the aye to the action. As i have discussed today, i would have like to have seen a few 'panned drift' shots from the very inside location, get a couple of keepers, the go capture your 'big action' sharp shots. either way, a good location with the action well caught, colours, timing and composition all spot on

8: a bit of a nothing shot, funny yes, dramatic, i suppose so but.. doesn't do anything for me

9+10, as per 1-7, but really really well timed, like how 9 the crew look so calm and oblivious to whats going on around them

11: doesn't doo much for me tbh

12: pick of the bunch, please don't enter it into the br comp, as it'll whoop my entry ahnds down! ;)

13: a close 2nd of the bunch, such an iconic car, chucking the gravel deeeeep into the forest. great timing, pose, colours + composition

14-17: as per group 1-7 th, nice timing

18: like it, just would have positioned myself more to your left, to crop out the landrover rescue truck on the side of shot

19: nice capture, would have been tempted to crop the car closer tbh

20: love it, would personally sort out the blown highlight behind the car

21: again, good capture and shutter speed, almost a 'mac jam esque pan' (and that's no bad thing) just looks a bit soft, maybe it's me

Cheers
Charlie

c_robinson said:
As i have discussed today, i would have like to have seen a few 'panned drift' shots from the very inside location, get a couple of keepers, the go capture your 'big action' sharp shots.

Agreed.

c_robinson said:
8: a bit of a nothing shot, funny yes, dramatic, i suppose so but.. doesn't do anything for me

I only really posted it for the comedy value, was more of a snapshot than a photography tbh!

c_robinson said:
12: pick of the bunch, please don't enter it into the br comp, as it'll whoop my entry ahnds down! ;)

Glad someone likes the crop, wasn't too sure myself. I don't think it will mate, the yellow and green Nova is a cracking shot!

c_robinson said:
18: like it, just would have positioned myself more to your left, to crop out the landrover rescue truck on the side of shot

Agreed, but it was taken one handed with a Fosters in the other hand! :LOL: I couldn't be bothered to clone it out!

Cheers for the other c&c mate, much appreciated and taken on board!

Where is that jump ?

It's in Portland somewhere... ;)

No c&c then?

Agreed, but it was taken one handed with a Fosters in the other hand! :LOL: I couldn't be bothered to clone it out!

nice to see i'm not the only one to enjoy a beer and get the phtoographical fluids flowing on events :)(y)

Super set :clap: These are all very well captured indeed. Some great action in them!! Super stuff. Love the first jump one as well. Not so sure on the slower shutter stuff, though. Still a fantasitc set :clap:

A really set of shots from the Dukeries.

My main criticism/suggestion is that some of the wide shots e.g. 3, 12 ,13, would have been better if you had cropped closer to the cars. The shots which show the whole dust trail are fine, but you get a greater feel for the action if can, say, show flying gravel and wheelspin.

1, 2, and 3 look fairly hairy, nice capture.

Ed

Right then Jamie, as promised, a bit of crit for you. (y)

#1, Out of the first group of 10 pictures, this is the one that stands out for me. Really like the lighting, and the dust cloud has a real depth to it, nicely captued.

#2-10, All well timed shots, good action, but very repetative, some seen to have been over edited perhaps, some of the colours look like they have been pulled out with PS.

#11, Not too keen on this one, I like the road going off into the distance, but not a fan of the composition and it seems a little dark from shooting into the sun?

#12, My pick of the bunch, nicely composed, good colours, and a good bit of action. Only thing that spoils it for me is the wheels are frozen.

#13, Good shot, nice action and colours again, youve got the movement in the wheels this time (y)

#14, Good capture again, but prefer the cropped in look.

#15, The trees seem a little overexposed and are pulling my eyes away from the car.

#16, Standard shot really, nothing more, sorry.

#17, as number 16

#18, I like this one Jim, nicely thought out, but the landrover is offputting (but you had a can of fosters in the other hand so I will let you off!!) (y)

#19, Again really like this shot, probably equall with the mk1 shot for the pick of the bunch, nice with the road coming in and going, the car stands out nicely, and a good jump too, top marks.

#20, Not a fan of the ultra slow jump shots, to much out of focus, so does nothing for me mate sorry.

#21, As 20, but at least this one has a touch more in focus.

All in all a good set Jim, ive seen better from you, but I would still be very happy with your days shooting. Hope nothing ive said comes across as negative, just my opinions. (y)

As you know, im not a fan of the 'dodgy' crops ... but that aside here's my views ...

1 & 3 - Lovely colours on both of these, and nicely composed in the frame

2 & 4-10 - While their all good shots, i think 1 & 3 show these up

11 - looks a bit dull, but i think it's a generally nice shot

12, 13 & 14 - Great shot, colours are good and the crops make these work IMO

15 - Dust cloud looks a bit hiffy ... too much processing ?

16 - Bit too tight in the frame for my liking

17 - Not set on this shot tbh

18 - Can't help but feel a lower angle would of worked better here ?

19 - One of the best in the set, super stuff!

20 & 21 - While the lighting is nice, i don't like the fact that so much detail is lost with the slow shutter speed

Cheers,

Overall a really good set, number 12 and 14 stand out to me :D
Like the dusty clouds behind and the sense of action in them.

Back