Dumba$$ question

nc_killie

POTY (Joint) 2016
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I feel really stupid asking this however I have tried all sorts of things but none seem to work:
I have a Lenovo laptop and the screen has suddenly gone very dark, to the point where it is very difficult to read anything on it. The simple 'brighten screen' button does not make any difference (lighter / darker). The other Function buttons work (eg sound). When I plug in an external monitor the brightness is fine. I am not aware of doing anything to change any settings.
Sorry for the stupid question and thanks in advance

John

Sounds to me like the back light has gone.
Gents, thank you for your prompt response, I have increased my IT skills tremendously today.
a phone call with Lenovo had me switch off, unplug the power cable and any other cables, hold the power switch down for a minute. Let go, plug in power cable and switch on and voila! It’s holding the button down for a minute. Problem solved.
Seriously, I do appreciate the rapid response as I was expecting a battle about it being out of warranty.
What a Great community!
sorry Awfers but I did try and include your post as a quote! Perhaps I should stick to film

Last edited:
Gents, thank you for your prompt response, I have increased my IT skills tremendously today.
a phone call with Lenovo had me switch off, unplug the power cable and any other cables, hold the power switch down for a minute. Let go, plug in power cable and switch on and voila! It’s holding the button down for a minute. Problem solved.
Seriously, I do appreciate the rapid response as I was expecting a battle about it being out of warranty.
What a Great community!
sorry Awfers but I did try and include your post as a quote! Perhaps I should stick to film
Awesome! Glad they fixed it for you.

You understand they just takeoff you through "turn it off and on again", right :)

Not always simple on laptops but it does fix lots of stuff.

Awesome! Glad they fixed it for you.

You understand they just takeoff you through "turn it off and on again", right :)

Not always simple on laptops but it does fix lots of stuff.
Yes, aware of that - it was the extra step of holding teh power button down for a minute once it had switched off that was new (and did the trick!)

Holding the button down while it is off normally works by discharging any capacitors. It works with TV remotes as well, take the batteries out and press the on button a few times :)

Back