Duncansby Head

Edit My Images
No
A wee trip up to Caithness to see the sea stacks at Duncansby. The wind was blowing a gale which made any photos very difficult so I mostly just admired the wildness of the place. I like the cliffs, but I don't think the shutter speed works well for the crashing waves that were pounding the coast line. I'd love to go back again one day and have a proper crack at it.

How much editing have you done ?

Some elements don't look natural

I have done far more editing on this than I would normally do to be honest.

I have created 2 layers from the RAW for the sky which is about a 1 stop darker and one for the land/sea both without much contrast

Then I just did local contrast adjustments each for the sky, cliffs and sea.

What elements don't look natural? I don't doubt it, I'm not totally satisfied with sea and the sky.

I like it - my only comment would be that there appears to be a glowing halo around the top of the cliffs. It might just be how the light was but it looks like the line where you've dropped in the sky and lets it down a bit.

Its a cracking location though, i've been before but never managed to get as a nice a shot as this - theres a real energy in the water, can almost feel the wind.

Hi , The transition between the cliff top and the sky " A light line running along the top separating the 2 elements " also the light area behind the 2 points of rock in the distance

Would be good to be able to go back and try again though looks like a lovely location

How much editing have you done ?

Some elements don't look natural

that beats my efforts...too much dodging maybe...:thinking:

cheers
geof

Thanks for the feedback, when I look now with fresher eyes, I can see my faults in the editing, too heavy handed and not very subtle. I'll try and come back to this when I get time in the weekend.

dont let the purists grind you down...its your pic and your interpretation

we are all friends here....(y)

cheers
geof

Back